Top Shelf Aquatics

46 Gallon Bow Front Reef Tank (Retired)

FLNanoReefer

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FLNanoReefer
He meant "pass on" those frags thinking you were planning on buying them when you need a heater instead.

Oh. Thanks for the clarification. I was not going to spend much on the corals this trip to the LFS. I was going to buy a $10 or $15 Blue Mushroom. I was going to also get a frag of zoa's, but I may hold off on them for a few weeks.

FLNanoReefer

I headed to the LFS today after doing another 5 gallon water change. I purchased a very nice rock covered in Green Mushrooms. I also got some more water.

I placed the new coral after floating the bag in the tank for around 1/2 hour. I then also fragged another small piece of GSP off a rock. I also found the tiny Mushroom that had been floating around the tank since I have had the mushrooms and I caught it and put it in the container. I removed the mesh and rubber band also. I will post pictures tonight when the Mushrooms start to open!!

I want to order my new power heads tonight. Do you guys thank that the Hydor Koralia Evolution 750's are good for my tank? I was planning on getting 2 from Marine and Reef because they are have great sales right now. LMK what you think!!

You should not buy anything else until you buy a heater. My opinion.

He meant "pass on" those frags thinking you were planning on buying them when you need a heater instead.

Yes, this is what I meant. My iPhone spell-checked it for my when I missed the space in "pass on".

FLNanoReefer

GiantBen- Thanks for your input. I don't need a heater except for the 1 month a year that it is cold where I live. I put the heater in and found out it was broken when I first set up the tank. The cold month is already over and my tank temperature has risen back up to around 76 F. I plan on getting a new heater soon. BTW, my LFS gave me a awesome deal on the Mushroom rack that I could not pass up!!

Updated Pictures

I checked on my frags today and then fixed my GSP after bumping its rock and plug again. I didn't take any pictures of the GSP because it had closed up and wasn't looking too nice. I now have the rock propped on the pre-filter box, so maybe that will help. The red mushrooms are also mad because I fixed there position and the rock that the GSP was on fell on the.

The Gorilla Nipple Zoa's ar starting to look awesome. Their coloring up quite well!! They may be my new favorite coral.

post-59111-1294182207_thumb.jpg

post-59111-1294182261_thumb.jpg

My Not So Happy Red Mushrooms

post-59111-1294182379_thumb.jpg

My new mushrooms were Neon Green at the store. They are starting to open up nicely and they are a brownish color with green dots. Under actinic only they are bright green though. I will try to take pictures tonight. I hope they will get their color back but I have a feeling they stay this color because of the different lighting (LFS has T5 I think). I tried counting the individual mushrooms and there are over 20 mushrooms!!

post-59111-1294182702_thumb.jpg

post-59111-1294182717_thumb.jpg

post-59111-1294182733_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture of the frag rack. The container the mushroom frags are in are also on the frag rack. They are looking good and are healing very fast. None have attached to the rubble rock yet. Hopefully they will soon!!

post-59111-1294182972_thumb.jpg

The last picture is of the pre-filter box. I moved the canister filter intake back into the return chamber today because it was pulling too much water out and not allowing the box to fill up high enough. I think I may already notice growth form the chaeto and mangrove roots.

post-59111-1294183136_thumb.jpg

As always input is greatly appreciated!!

FLNanoReefer

Just ordered two Hydor Korlaia Evolution 750's from marineandreef.com. I also ordered a thing of epoxy so that I can secure my rock work. I can't wait for them to get here!!

FLNanoReefer

The tank is doing great. I came home to find out that the Blood Red Fire Shrimp had molted. This is the first time that it has molted and is a good sign that it is thriving!! I also topped off the water and cleaned the front glass inside and out. I checked on my mushroom frags and two have attached to the rubble. I removed them from the container and placed the rubble they are attached too on the frag rack. The others appear to be doing well and growing fast. They are starting to grow a new foot and all of them almost have complete heads!!

I will be posting a update and pictures once my power heads arrive!!

My new power heads arrived today along with a stick of aquarium epoxy. After installing them I am very impressed with their performance. The flow is strong but spread out. I have one one the left side and the other on the back glass towards the right. The tank is pretty cloudy and the corals are pretty mad (polyps closed). I think it is because of the drastic change in flow. I also stirred the sand bed and topped off the water. Do you guys think I have enough sand dwelling snails, etc. I would really like to clean my snad bed up. It doesn't look to nice right now. :angry:

I will hopefully post pictures tomorrow once the water clears up and the corals acclimate to the new flow. Any input is greatly appreciated!!

I headed to the LFS today. I purchased 5 gallons of RO/DI Water (I think it is DI), a Tiger Tail Sea Cucumber, a nice piece of Torch Coral, and a nice rock full of Daisy Polyps.

The main reason for the Tiger Tail was to help clean up the sand. The LFS said they were very good at cleaning the sand. I have also read some stuff about them online, so hopefully this will do the trick.

The Torch was a great deal. I think it has 4 heads. It is green with blue tips. This is my first try at LPS so hopefully this coral will do great under my PC's!!

The Daisy Polyps are really cool. Do they like low flow or more moderate flow?

I will hopefully post pictures tomorrow once everything opens up!! Input is greatly appreciated.

I performed a 5 gallon water change and cleaned the glass. I have not seen the sea cucumber since last night and can't find him. I tested the water parameters and they are all good!!

Here are some pictures that I took of the tank today.

Torch Coral

post-59111-1295215602_thumb.jpg

post-59111-1295215617_thumb.jpg

Daisy Polyps

post-59111-1295215646_thumb.jpg

post-59111-1295215663_thumb.jpg

Red Mushrooms

post-59111-1295215310_thumb.jpg

post-59111-1295215322_thumb.jpg

post-59111-1295215336_thumb.jpg

Neon Green Mushrooms

post-59111-1295215407_thumb.jpg

post-59111-1295215419_thumb.jpg

post-59111-1295215445_thumb.jpg

Green Star Polyps

post-59111-1295215731_thumb.jpg

post-59111-1295215746_thumb.jpg

Gorilla Nipple Zoanthids

post-59111-1295215769_thumb.jpg

post-59111-1295215784_thumb.jpg

My Frags

post-59111-1295215806_thumb.jpg

And Finally A FTS

post-59111-1295215828_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The tank is doing quite well. All corals are doing great except the Torch Coral. It was looking great until about Friday when I noticed that it's polyps were not extended and that part of one of the 4 heads exo-skeleton was visible. It looks worse today, so headed to the LFS.

At the LFS I purchased 10 gallons of Reef Water, 5 gallons of RO/DI (I think it is DI), Oceans Blend, a Salifert Calcium Test Kit, and a very small 2 headed frag of Candy Cane Coral. When I got home I acclimated the coral and added 3 tsp. of both parts A and B.

Before I went to the LFS I did a 5 gallon water change and added 1 tsp. of Kent Marine Essential Elements, Iodide, and Strontium and Molybdenum that I had purchased yesterday. I also tested the water quality and everything is good. The only thing that is questionable is the Nitrates which is less than 20 ppm. I attempted to test the Calcium but was not successful.

Do you guys have any ideas why my torch coral isn't doing good? Any input is greatly appreciated. I will try to post pictures tomorrow of all of the corals.

On a good note, I had not seen the Sea Cucumber since the day I put it in until late this week. It has now been coming out a lot and is starting to get the sand clean.

For the torch all I can think of would be good water chemistry (0nitrates,0ammonia,proper pH), proper lighting (not too intense) and NOT too much flow. When my torch gets too much flow it starts to look bad but then I move it and it looks amazing again. I've had it for a year and a half and it's easily doubled in size if not more. At least 10 heads on it from the original 4-5.

For the torch all I can think of would be good water chemistry (0nitrates,0ammonia,proper pH), proper lighting (not too intense) and NOT too much flow. When my torch gets too much flow it starts to look bad but then I move it and it looks amazing again. I've had it for a year and a half and it's easily doubled in size if not more. At least 10 heads on it from the original 4-5.

Thanks. The water chemistry is pretty good (Nitrates=1 - 20 ppm but closer to 0, Ammonia=0ppm, pH is fine). The Torch is under PC's and it is at the top of the tank. It is not getting too little of flow but I hope it is getting enough. Do you think it is because I wan't dosing calcium. My temperature is also around 75 F and the specific gravity is around 1.025. Thanks for any help anyone can give me!!

I need some tips on LPS care. I just dose the tank with the Ocean's Blend. I also notices a few small white dots on the Candy Cane Coral. The lights were not on yet, so hopefully it is nothing.

I am dosing the tank with the Ocean's Blend. The bottle says that it contains trace elements and my LFS said that I might not have to add trace elements or iodide since I am using this. Is this true? Would I be best off dosing the tank with the 2 prat Ocean's Blend, Kent Marine Essential Elements, Iodide, and Strontium and Molybdenum? Or should I just use the 2 part Ocean's Blend and the Strontium and Molybdenum? Any input on this matter is greatly appreciated. I want the best for my corals!!

I headed to the LFS on Sunday to get some new fish. The LFS I normally go to didn't have any B&W Clowns so I went to another fish store that has somewhat good livestock. I got 2 B&W Clowns and a small combo frag of a unidentified zoa and some xenia (either pulsing or pom pom). I will be posting some pictures tomorrow so that someone can ID them for me. i have a feeling they are Peach Blossom Zoa's.

On a bad note, it appears that my Torch has brown jelly infection. 3 of the 4 heads have died. Any tips on what to do with it would be great. Other than that all of the corals are doing great.

Cool, another 46 owner! Sorry to hear about the torch not doing well. If you're sure it's an infection, i would try an iodine dip (a search will get you lots of info on this). If it's not an infection, it may be an issue with excessive dosing:

With your torch being the only stony coral you have I would be careful with all of the dosing you are doing, unless you have been testing first. A tank with few stony corals probably won't need any dosing to thrive, especially since is appears you are changing the water quite often. Good flow, water quality, and light are really the most important. My 46 is full of hard corals and I only dose about 15 drops of calcium/alc a week (tentatively) and everything is fine (this is mostly because instant ocean salt has low calcium initially). I have kent's essential elements but only used it when I had a shrimp. In my opinion less dosing is better and only dose if your tank shows signs it's in need.

It could also be your LFS is shortchanging you on the water! I've definitely heard stories that LFS water is not always what it's claimed to be. I would invest in an RO/DI unit or buy distilled from wal-mart and mix your own. I have done both and never had a problem.

Edit: Just did a search on that sea cucumber you acquired. Very cool looking but it appears it will become too large for a 46, just a heads up! Also, if it dies it will become highly toxic and from that I hear it can crash a tank.

You gotta buy calcium/mg/alk tests asap and test those params. LPS are usually pretty easy and torch don't need THAT much flow. If it's tentacles get twisted it's too much. Also, get your nitrates down 20ppm is kinda high. 0 is ideal if not necessary.

Thanks for your input. I don't seen to get much traffic on this thread. I may try a iodine dip in a few days if the infection gets to the other head.

I actually have 2 LPS corals; a torch coral and a small Candy Cane Coral. The LFS recommended this product. They said something about adding part 1 in the morning and part 2 at night, but I have just been following the instructions on the bottle. What type of calcium/alkalinity supplement are you using.

I think that my LFS's water is legit. They are a awesome retailer that has a very good reputation. Their staff is very honest and helpful.

Right not I am currently dosing:

Kent Marine

• Iodide (every Sunday)
  • Essential Elements (every Sunday)
  • Strontium and Molybdenum (Every Sunday and Thursday)

and Ocean's Blend Calcium and pH/Alkalinity 2 part supplement. I dose the 2 part supplement in the morning about 5 times a week. The instructions recommend every day.

Input is greatly appreciated!!

No worries.. been continually watching your thread, though just not commenting... I go through a bit of a depression slump this time of year and just sleep all the time and have a hard time keeping interest in a lot of stuff for a long period of time.

I like the mushrooms and torch.. very nice choices.. get some bright colored rics and yumas in there.. those things can get huge and bring in a lot of color.

It is all cool. I looked forward to seeing what you had to say about the tank. The Torch is my favorite. Too bad it is dying. :( I had a feeling it wouldn't do well in the tank though. The tank has only been up and running for 3 1/2 months and my lighting isn't too strong. What do you think about trying a acan in the tank and keeping it on the sand bad. I saw some incredible frags this weekend at a LFS I normally don't go to and I love them. They will have to wait a month or two though because I am running low on funds.

I would love to start a Ricordia Florida garden on the large rock on the left side of the tank. I love all of the colors they come in. Is $30 for 2 polyps and $35 for 2 polyps that have orange a good price. That is my LFS's price. It seems okay.

You might have better luck with acans, mind you you will want to put them on the rock work instead of the sand because of your PC lights.. but other than that they should do really well in your tank and keep their color.

The acans in my tank are on the sand bed and the lighting levels there are equal to mid light for those sorts of corals, hense why I can keep sps frags on the sand bed.. honestly though, I would save up to get some better lighting and take your time with the corals instead.

The torch if at the top might be ok for lighting, but make sure it is not getting too much flow.. I have noticed euphyllias like lower flow than mid to high flow.

partyinyourhonor

I am not sure if anyone else mentioned this but I think most of your problems would be solved by getting a new light... I think your tank is too deep to keep corals... I started with a very similar coralife pc and had very poor results... everything in your tank will improve with new lighting... and you don't have to spend all that much...

fish need it

That is what I thought. I would love to keep the Acans on the sand bed, so I may just wait until I can upgrade the lighting. That could be a while though. Now that I have a few different types of corals and a pair of clowns I want to sit back and enjoy the tank for a while while my funds recuperate. I will hopefully get another coral in a month or so. Maybe it will be a Ricordia Florida frag. -_-

That is what I thought. I would love to keep the Acans on the sand bed, so I may just wait until I can upgrade the lighting. That could be a while though. Now that I have a few different types of corals and a pair of clowns I want to sit back and enjoy the tank for a while while my funds recuperate. I will hopefully get another coral in a month or so. Maybe it will be a Ricordia Florida frag. -_-

Archived