SaltCritters.com

Pong's 20L College Reef

awpong

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stunning tank, i love it.

Thanks! And thank you to everyone else who's been commenting on my thread. It's always nice when hard work finally pays off and can be appreciated.

Nice tank! Definitely going to subscribe to this. I've been using this tank as inspiration for my own 20 long. I'd eventually like a nice mix of lps/sps/softies. Plus, it's great how you've managed a tank like this while in college. I'm kind of in the same boat--I'm in college, although I don't live in the dorms.

Feel free to check out my new build thread critique/offer advice.

I would like to introduce the newest (and final) fish in my tank.

Here is 'Starvin Marvin' !!!

Marvin.jpg

I bought him less than 3 hours ago. He wasn't trained on frozen foods when I got him and appeared a little underfed, but I had to buy him.

To my surprise, this little fellow started eating frozen baby brine shrimp in less than an hour after introduction into my tank omgomgomg !!!!

I'm currently uploading a video for proof!!!

Now I just need to train him to accept mysid shrimp, then he'll be released into the tank.

I'm not quite sure how he'll fare for food competition with my wrasse and clowns. I hadn't expected him to adopt to frozen foods so quickly, so I wasn't planning on having to figure out the solution any time soon. What are other people doing for theres? I've done a lot of research and the shot glass/jar method seems to work, but I really don't want to have to add a shot glass to my tank. I'm hoping I'll be able to train him to recognize that pipette = food, like my other fish do, and that he'll have his own little corner where I'll be able to spray food for him.

I'm just glad he's eating frozen already :)

:happydance:

This tank keeps getting awesomer and awesomer!! :)

Thanks!

Here's the video I said I was uploading. You can see how small he is compared to my wrasse.

th_MVI_0052.jpg

altolamprologus

Keep him that guppy breeder for a little while until he recognizes the pipette as food. Then when he's in the tank you can spot feed him easier. You should also turn off your return pump and power heads when you feed. My mandarins ignore food that moves too fast, but they'll gorge on food that's easy to catch.

Have you thought about culturing copepods for him? You can do it in a few soda bottles and it only takes like 2 minutes of work a week to keep them going.

Keep him that guppy breeder for a little while until he recognizes the pipette as food. Then when he's in the tank you can spot feed him easier. You should also turn off your return pump and power heads when you feed. My mandarins ignore food that moves too fast, but they'll gorge on food that's easy to catch.

Have you thought about culturing copepods for him? You can do it in a few soda bottles and it only takes like 2 minutes of work a week to keep them going.

Yea I turn off my mp10 and let the brine sink to the bottom of the breeder. Then Marvin went crazy and started eating everything. My current goal is to bring his body weight up to normal. I'm planning on keeping him in the breeder for another week at the minimum. It really depends on how readily he begins to accept frozen foods. Although I do have all of the equipment to raise brine shrimp and copepods, depending on how fast my natural population of harpticoid copepods declines, I only plan on rearing a batch a every other week/month to repopulate the tank.

altolamprologus
Yea I turn off my mp10 and let the brine sink to the bottom of the breeder. Then Marvin went crazy and started eating everything. My current goal is to bring his body weight up to normal. I'm planning on keeping him in the breeder for another week at the minimum. It really depends on how readily he begins to accept frozen foods. Although I do have all of the equipment to raise brine shrimp and copepods, depending on how fast my natural population of harpticoid copepods declines, I only plan on rearing a batch a every other week/month to repopulate the tank.

Sounds like a good plan. If you ever need a starter culture of tisbe pods let me know ;)

So I was supposed to be a good, productive, student today. I had planned on studying for the MCAT and writing my philosophy essay.... Well that didn't happen...

Instead, I dedicated today to fattening up Marvin. I'm glad to say that I'm succeeding!! His belly is now starting to stick out omgomgomg

I basically sat next to the tank and fed him an entire cube of baby brine shrimp, a few mysis shrimp, and a quarter of a cube of cyclopeeze. I also tried to see if he'd eat pellets, he picked at them but didn't swallow.

I also started a brine shrimp culture that I'll feed him on Monday.

Here are pictures!

Culture.jpg

Marvin1.jpg

Marvin2.jpg

Marvin3.jpg

Well a couple updates, good and bad.

1. Good: Marvin has adjusted well to frozen foods and is nice and fat. He's eating Nutramar Ova, Cyclopeeze, Frozen Brine Shrimp, Rod's Food, and Live Brine Shrimp too.
  2. Good: I added Marvin into the DT
  3. Bad: My other fish don't like him. I thought they would be okay with him since they didn't react to him in the breeder box, but I guess when they actually have a chance to pick on him they take full advantage. I've currently got the lights out on the tank to give him sometime to chill, but he's already missing half his tail. :'(
  4. Good: He's still alive. It's going to suck if I manage to lose him. If worse comes to worst, I'll move him over to the 40B and hope the cinnamon clown won't mind a new tank mate.
  5. Good or Bad?: I was cleaning my tank today and fragged a bunch of my sps… accidentally. Anywho, now I just need to find somewhere to glue them to or buy a couple frag plugs.
  6. Bad: I might have a stray voltage issue. I got shocked a few times during the tank cleaning. I'm going to run out tonight and try to buy a voltmeter to verify the problem, and I'll head to the LFS tomorrow and pick up a grounding probe.

A grounding probe will just hide the problem, find the voltage leak and fix it.

I know, but the grounding is just for backup.

Anyways, I bought a voltmeter today and it doesn't appear to be reading anything for my tank. That's a good thing, but now I'm wondering why I was getting shocked... I still might got out and buy the grounding probe tomorrow just incase.

What setting do you keep your MP10 on to keep your torch and frogspawn happy? I have a 20L as well, and just purchased one. The reef crest mode, even at around 15-25% power, was too much for my torch coral. It deflated completely, even though my other corals (some zoanthids, gsp, trumpet, and mushroom) don't mind the extra flow at all. I have the torch in my quarantine tank now and I hope I can nurse it back to health... :(

What setting do you keep your MP10 on to keep your torch and frogspawn happy? I have a 20L as well, and just purchased one. The reef crest mode, even at around 15-25% power, was too much for my torch coral. It deflated completely, even though my other corals (some zoanthids, gsp, trumpet, and mushroom) don't mind the extra flow at all. I have the torch in my quarantine tank now and I hope I can nurse it back to health... :(

My MP10 is set on like 70% on reef crest. My frogspawn is on the complete other side of the tank, so it doesn't get too much flow, even when the MP10 is turned all the way up. The torch is on the same side, but gets significantly more flow; however, the torch likes the flow. It would help if you could also put the torch behind a rock to block it from too much direct flow. I think a QT for your coral is probably a little bit of overkill, but I'm sure it'll be fine. Good luck!

Archived