ReefCleaners.org

Pong's 20L College Reef

awpong

Looking forward to the upgrade!

I find it interesting how your tri color grew, kinda spread out

Yea, it's started to table out quite a bit. It's actually running into my torch, but I'll fix that problem after the move.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally got around to completing the framework of my stand for the new and improved 20L. I'm really hoping this stand works!

b54b89b8.jpg

13fc57ae.jpg

I'll probably start plumbing tomorrow and leak testing over the weekend. If all goes well, then I'll add the finishing touches (aesthetics) to the stand and I'll install the hanging bars for my lights. :P

altolamprologus

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. 2 x 4's are stronger than you would think. You could put a 55 gallon tank on something like that no problem.

BTW were those pics taken in a science lab? I see an articulated cat and chicken...

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. 2 x 4's are stronger than you would think. You could put a 55 gallon tank on something like that no problem.

BTW were those pics taken in a science lab? I see an articulated cat and chicken...

haha :)

Yea, my tanks are being kept in my school's biology department for the summer. They're currently in our physiology lab, so there are a bunch of skeletons all over the place.

But I'm worried it might not work because I'm an amateur carpenter, to say the least. Some of the angles aren't exactly 90 degrees and some of the pieces aren't perfectly flush with each other. I'll have our department "handyman" look at it tomorrow and hopefully gain his approval and "seal of confidence."

Well the tanks is plumbed and is currently being tested for leaks. So far, so good. I'll keep it up and running until Monday afternoon (48 hours).

Here are some pictures of the tank:

d5135e3d.jpg

7d292e84.jpg

6de9fefb.jpg

3bdd02da.jpg

6f2cd790.jpg

I still need to get a check valve for the return line to prevent back siphoning.

After the 48 hours of leak free performance, I'll finish the stand and get everything ready for the tank transfer. I'm really excited to see the new system for my beloved 20L.

So far so good with the leak testing *knock on wood*

If there aren't any problems by tomorrow afternoon, I'll be able to move onto the next stage of my tank renovations :)

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0428-1.jpg

I had planned on finishing my tank stand this weekend, but the rain put the project on hiatus until tomorrow. Hopefully i'll have the stand finished by then.

Until then, here are some progress pics:

TankStand2.jpg

(the 2"x6" is just holding the cabinet doors up since they're not screwed in yet)

TankStand1.jpg

(the frame has been primed, painted, and sealed. The side panels have only been primed. I had planned on painting them this afternoon, but the rain was an issue, so I'll finish it tomorrow)

Looking good! Does your sump not have enough volume to handle the total possible water volume should your pump back siphon? Check valves are probably better than nothing but they certainly aren't failsafe!

Looking good! Does your sump not have enough volume to handle the total possible water volume should your pump back siphon? Check valves are probably better than nothing but they certainly aren't failsafe!

Thanks, and yes. One of the first things I checked was to see that if the check valve fails, that I won't flood my house. Luckily, the sump has more than enough room to account for a complete back siphon.

Glad to hear it! Out of curiosity, why bother with the check valve at all then?

So that my water level won't fluctuate when I turn the return off for feeding and such.

have you thought about de-rimming the new one?

I thought about it, but I honestly don't mind the rim. Plus, I was too scared I'd break the tank. I was fortunate enough not to break the tank when I drilled it, but I didn't want to press my luck with the de-rimming process as well. Maybe for my next tank I'll be confident enough to attempt it. Or better yet, I might by a rimless tank next time.

Well I've pretty much finished the tank stand. I still have some finishing touches, but I will finish those tomorrow.

I took the pics on my phone because I didn't have my camera on me. I'll post more pictures of wednesday when I move the stand into my new house.

5a3c8c70.jpg

0533daa5.jpg

4bbe24f8.jpg

bf7cb772.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Nice! What light fixture are you using (Not sure if it's the same one from the OP). Also, is your skimmer in the same compartment as the return pump?

AMAZING :o

Nice! What light fixture are you using (Not sure if it's the same one from the OP). Also, is your skimmer in the same compartment as the return pump?

I'm still using the Odyssea lights, and yes, the skimmer is in the same compartment as the return pump.

Took another FTS of the tank now that everything is starting to feel comfortable after the move. I also wanted to show off my newest tank addition, an orchid dottyback!

He's hard to photograph since he's still adjusting to his surroundings. Right now he's only out in the open for 30-60 seconds at a time.

I also made a quick little video of the tank that I hope y'all will enjoy.

So please, enjoy the pics and video:

FTSAugust2.jpg

SideTankSHot-1.jpg

Dottyback.jpg

What a great job on the re-build!! How do you like everything so far??

Thanks, I'm really enjoying everything so far. The only issue I have is the fact that I'm still fidgeting with the skimmer a little bit, because that's only because it's still breaking in.

how about a trio of blue-eyed cardinals?

I thought about that, but Rehype said that he really didn't like his. But thats along the lines of what I'd like. Either something very active and colorful, or a mass/shoal of fish to just add another dimension to the tank.

Archived