Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Pong's 20L College Reef

awpong

I'm thinking about finding my flasher wrasse harem a new home and get another dwarf lion.

iBluewater has a yellow dwarf fuzzy available. Pricey, but man that yellow! :lol:

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think your pictures are broken. :o

Looks like some of my pictures are starting to come back.

iBluewater has a yellow dwarf fuzzy available. Pricey, but man that yellow! :lol:

Yea, I've seen some yellow ones at the LFS, they're really nice! But definitely not worth $200 in my opinion. I'll keep on the look out for them at my LFS where they sell them for the same price as the rest ($49).

Updates: My RKL came in and I set it up. It's nice that I'm able to monitor my pH finally. I've also been dosing 2 parts which I think has helped bring my pH, because I've suspected its been low. The pH test kit I had before was incredibly inaccurate. It gave me a color that wasn't even on the sheet....

Anyways. The current pH of the tank is 7.97 and I hope to bring it up with continued dosing of B-Ionic 2 part.

Furthermore, my clowns have finally started to clean their nesting site. They're still not what I would call a bonded pair... but they're working on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm loving the colors your getting with the 150w phoenix. Which actinics are you using for supplements? Beautiful tank.

I'm loving the colors your getting with the 150w phoenix. Which actinics are you using for supplements? Beautiful tank.

Thanks. The actinics are crap lol. They're just the cheap odyssea bulbs, but they're surprisingly blue.

And I'm almost done with my med school applications, so once I finish those up I'll post a few updates on the tanks. Everything is doing nicely since the move and my tricolor and scripps acros have grown about an inch each since the move... that's an inch in a week!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks. The actinics are crap lol. They're just the cheap odyssea bulbs, but they're surprisingly blue.

And I'm almost done with my med school applications, so once I finish those up I'll post a few updates on the tanks. Everything is doing nicely since the move and my tricolor and scripps acros have grown about an inch each since the move... that's an inch in a week!

How about those updates!

How about those updates!

I took pictures, but I cant find the cord to hook up my camera to my computer. I'll see if my housemate has a cord later tonight. I'll post pictures of my new lionfish too. She is in the 40B, but she's a cutie :)

northeastern

yeah update!

And a side question. did you add the crab after the maxi? I added a porcelain crab this week and he decided to hide in the worst spot so I want to get him a maxi but I want to make sure he finds it haha.

yeah update!

And a side question. did you add the crab after the maxi? I added a porcelain crab this week and he decided to hide in the worst spot so I want to get him a maxi but I want to make sure he finds it haha.

Here are a couple teaser shots for the updates. I've got a lot of pictures, but not much time to upload them all. These photos are over a week old. I've re-arranged the tank a little bit since then.

FTSJune.jpg

SideShot.jpg

Tank.jpg

SPS-1.jpg

Torch-2.jpg

Crab.jpg

yeah update!

I had the maxi mini first, and I placed the crab right on top of the nem. He's never moved since. If you're worried about yours, just manually move it.

Here are some more pictures from the tank:

FTSJune2012.jpg

FTS June 2012

IMG_0335.jpg

Blue-Green Millepora

IMG_0337.jpg

Tricolor Acro & Scripps Acro

IMG_0334.jpg

Pink Millepora

IMG_0344-1.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

HOB fuge for those of you who were interested

IMG_0327.jpg

New dwarf lion in my 40B. I'll need to update that thread later.

Awesome shots! Do you still have your 6-line wrasse? I didn't see him in any of the pictures.

I don't actually. I took him out of the 20L and had planned on adding him to the 40B, but I ended up selling him to a local.

I don't actually. I took him out of the 20L and had planned on adding him to the 40B, but I ended up selling him to a local.

Was he becoming aggressive towards your clownfish or was it just time for a change? I read that he terrorized your dragonet, which sucks. Are going to try another one now?

Was he becoming aggressive towards your clownfish or was it just time for a change? I read that he terrorized your dragonet, which sucks. Are going to try another one now?

It was a little bit of both. He wasn't harassing them or anything, but he was definitely in their face all the time. I'm thinking I'll just keep the two clowns in the tank together for a while, and might try another dragonette somewhere down the line as opposed to another wrasse.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't really made any adjustments to the tank aside from neglecting it for the past month. I've got a little bit of algae growing, but other than that, the tank is doing well.

I am however considering taking advantage of the petco 1$ gallon sale and buying a new 20L and actually painting the back of this tank. Currently I only have a piece of black plastic up against the bag of my tank.

Furthermore, since I'm already planning on building a new stand and hanging my lights, I thought... what the hell... I'll drill this new tank too.

So i'd like to get some expert opinions on my thoughts: I'm currently researching a new skimmer, probably a cone skimmer, and I'm also looking for a new sump, but first I'd like to get the overflow situation out of the way. I've been looking at the glass-holes 700 gph overflow with a mag5 into a single 3/4" return. Would this work? I'd love to hear some feedback on this. I've never drilled a tank before and pretty much terrified.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I noticed you used to have 5 fish in for 20L and are down to 3 (I think). Was wondering if having 5 had been working well for you? I'm thinking about adding 2 more to my 20L.. which would give me 4 fish... but I'm a little leery of space issues.. since some docile fish can become aggressive if they don't have their own 'turf'.

Already have:

Randall's Goby

Percula Clown

Thinking of adding:

Blue Neon Goby

Midas Blenny or Bangaii Cardinal

Hey, I noticed you used to have 5 fish in for 20L and are down to 3 (I think). Was wondering if having 5 had been working well for you? I'm thinking about adding 2 more to my 20L.. which would give me 4 fish... but I'm a little leery of space issues.. since some docile fish can become aggressive if they don't have their own 'turf'.

Already have:

Randall's Goby

Percula Clown

Thinking of adding:

Blue Neon Goby

Midas Blenny or Bangaii Cardinal

You'll be fine with those 4, or even 5. My tank was fine with 5 fish, with only minor (but insignificant) aggression. The only reason I'm down to 2 fish is because my midas blenny disappeared when I was on vacation :'(, I relocated my bangaii into my larger tank, and I sold the six line wrasse due to aggression issues (but the six line's aggression was due to the species, not the tank size).

You'll be fine with those 4, or even 5. My tank was fine with 5 fish, with only minor (but insignificant) aggression. The only reason I'm down to 2 fish is because my midas blenny disappeared when I was on vacation :'(, I relocated my bangaii into my larger tank, and I sold the six line wrasse due to aggression issues (but the six line's aggression was due to the species, not the tank size).

Thanks :) I'm still deciding what to add (ugh!). I was sold on the Midas until I read some can get aggressive in nano tanks.

Thanks :) I'm still deciding what to add (ugh!). I was sold on the Midas until I read some can get aggressive in nano tanks.

They definitely can get aggressive in smaller tanks, but mine was fine because of my open rock work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time for a pretty big update

I have officially decided to "upscale" my tank. I bought a new 20L during the petco $ gallon sale and drilled this one through glass-holes. I also went ahead and painted this tank (my current tank just has a black sheet on the back).

Overflow.jpg

Return.jpg

Drilled.jpg

Since the tank is now drilled, I also decided to splurge on some top notch equipment. First, I purchased the Aqueon model 1 sump. Second, I purchased the SWC 120 cone skimmer!

Sump.jpg

Skimmer.jpg

Furthermore, since the tank equipment is being renovated, I decided I should build my own tank stand as well. I'm currently in the process of building it, but hopefully it will be done in the next few days.

Stand.jpg

And finally, I've decided to hang my lights.

LightHangingStand.jpg

So by the time I move into my house on August 23rd, I'll have a sheik new system for my 20L.

But until then, here are some pictures of the current system.

FTSJuly2012.jpg

Fish-2.jpg

SPS1.jpg

SPS2.jpg

SPS3.jpg

SPS4.jpg

SPS5.jpg

SPS6.jpg

SPS7.jpg

altolamprologus

I love the new toys! Now hurry up and get everything going!

Also, I would really like to touch the milli in the second to last pic. That thing is insanely happy :)

Are you to change anything about the tank when you transfer it? Like getting rid of corals or fish?

I love the new toys! Now hurry up and get everything going!

Also, I would really like to touch the milli in the second to last pic. That thing is insanely happy :)

Are you to change anything about the tank when you transfer it? Like getting rid of corals or fish?

Thanks, I'm glad you like it! And I don't think I'll change much, if anything. I might try and relocate the GSP rock to my 40B, but I don't know what I'd replace it with. I might also give the mandarin another try since I sold my six line. But until I move my tank in late August, I won't really know.

I might also add a second blood-red fire shrimp to the tank to see if my original one might become a little more active.

altolamprologus
Thanks, I'm glad you like it! And I don't think I'll change much, if anything. I might try and relocate the GSP rock to my 40B, but I don't know what I'd replace it with. I might also give the mandarin another try since I sold my six line. But until I move my tank in late August, I won't really know.

I might also add a second blood-red fire shrimp to the tank to see if my original one might become a little more active.

You should really try the mandarin again. It's not like you did anything wrong, the wrasse was just a dick.

You should really try the mandarin again. It's not like you did anything wrong, the wrasse was just a dick.

Haha, that he was. I'll probably attempt the mandarin soon, I'll just need to wait a few months for my tank to re-stabilize after the move, and for my natural pod populations to recover. I usually don't have any issues when I move my tank because it's completed in a few hours, but since I'm removing my HOB fuge and transferring it's contents to my new sump, i think it will take a little longer.

Archived