SaltCritters.com

Picotope craziness!

Pilg0re

tell me if that rock gets infested with cyano...idk what about that florida base rock, but cyano loves w/e nutrients leech out of it..so it smothers it.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard the same before I bought it and did some research and there seems to be conflicting views on the subject, so I'm just going to let it cycle and see what happens.

Looks good! What's that thing on the rock? Looks strange.

Thanks!

It's just some dead coral skeleton that I'm seeding this rock with. I'm planning to remove it when I can see some life on the base rock.

One day in and only worms and I have some type of bacteria bloom going on as my water is cloudy but that happened on my other tank so im not worried. I like newly cycling a tank and seeing which hitchikers pop up. That and pods are really the only hitchhikers I expect. I'm going home in about 2 weeks and I'm going to grab a bunch of stoma's to throw in there for a free CUC. I was also going to frag a few of the things I have in my other tank (zoas) and put them up high until I get a new light.

Oh yeah, and I'll report back with any cyano problems (and it won't be because of a lack of flow, I have tons)

Well in that case I plan to run a ton of Chemi-pure elite to soak up any excess phosphates. I couldn't resist the bulk pack from big-als so I have a good 6 month supply.

chemi pure lasts something like 4-5 months... I run them for 4 motnhs before i replace, so it should last a while for you :)

I am actually experimenting with not running any chemy pure in my 3 gal pico now. reason being is that my mythrax handles any algae in the display anyway, and I am curious to see how the system does w/o it.

Curiously my 10 gal has been running with chemipure (2 bags right now) from the start, and its getting overwhelemend with cyano anyway lol.

Day 2 and cloudiness is pretty much gone, and I'm pretty sure I watched my K-nano make mince meat out of all of my bristle worms. They were just floating around in the tank for some unknown reason (might have been dead) and they all got chopped up lol

lol they knew that you put a new powerhead into the tank so they all jumped in the flow to propagate themselves. congrads now you own 100s of bristle worm fragments that will all regenerate into full animals with time!

I am completely serious though, I sometimes see my bristle worms go into the current and float around in order to settle in a new spot and start feeding or find a home there. i've even seen isopods do this (these normally, like bristle worms graze in one place, on a rock) since neither animal can swim effectively, they literally use the currents to carry them around for free, and they KNOW it.

you think you got them killed, but its just the opposite. you just multiplied them (unless some predator ate the fragments.

YAY just what I need! Luckily I won't be feeding this tank so that should keep the population down. Iknow they're not harmful but they still give me the willys.

SO I HAVE A PLAN!

I changed my mind about LEDs, to a new type of lighting that I'm not going to disclose now :P

but basically here is my plan:

DSC02001plans.jpg

Also, notice my new ATO that works great (its the same as my 10G) I'm just waiting for the float switch to come in.

Also, I won't be able to afford it for another week (I get paid next Friday). Sucks being paid minimum wage and working only 8 hrs a week while at school.

Soft cycle time!

Did my first 1g water change (my new norm for sundays)

All normal cycling tests are 0.

The reason is I went to my LFS and saw these zoas and the owner evidently hates zoas so he gave me them for half price!

They're a little browned out, but I hope they color up a bit under better lighting. I think they have potential.

DSC02006.jpg

Archived