Innovative Marine Aquariums

Suggs' DIY 5ft Acrylic Shallow Nano on the wall

Suggs

Ok folks..... we have a tank!

Managed to get the top and base welded this weekend. What a horrible/scary job it was too!

First I welded the top which involves quite a bit of prep. Every 6 inches (approx) needs a wedge to make sure there is a bit of pressure on the weld. You can see them in this photo.

P1010724.jpg

The hard part is applying the solvent to all 4 sides and pulling the spacing pins before the solvent evaporates. I really needed an extra person helping me apply solvent as it took too long really but fingers crossed it seems to be spot on.

That was Saturday. Today I did the base which was the real scary one as if that went wrong then bye bye tank and start again

Again, wedges required.

P1010728.jpg

P1010729.jpg

P1010730.jpg

P1010726.jpg

P1010735.jpg

What a nightmare it was! Took me almost 3 minutes to apply all the solvent (it should only have a 1 minute soak time!!) BUT it has worked spot on I hope! I'm going to leave it a couple of weeks before I test it with water but hopefully it should be good. Just need to go round some of the edges with the router and then maybe flame polish them. Haven't totally decided on that yet as you wont see any edges once the frame is on.

Finished (ish) tank:

P1010750.jpg

Pic1-1.jpg

Please excuse the poor photos. I just couldn't get rid of the reflections.

I'm really pleased with how it has turned out. The clarity of the acrylic is truely unbelievable.

Next up is deciding what pump or pumps to buy for the closed loop :unsure:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think im going with either 1 or 2 sicce syncra silent pumps for the closed loop. I specifically want them to be silent. What models do you think I should go for?

woohoo..... wetness was successful :happydance:

Plumbing it (temporarily) was a nightmare!

P1010863.jpg

In action:

I've decided I need a third pump to help ease the plumbing and increase flow. Other than that I'm really pleased.

Not an update as such but I played on sketchup during my lunch break today. These are the shelves I'm going to use:

Shelving1.jpg

Shelving2.jpg

Dont forget everything will be hidden with the frame!

• 1 month later...

Update time….

I’ve been somewhat slow with progress on the tank lately, partly down to spending my time on the frag tanks but I’ve got quite a bit done recently on my led build.

Rather than buy sticky thermal pads I decided to use the cnc machine and have the led’s sat within the heatsink. This may slightly improve heat transfer but the main reason for doing it was purely because it’s a bit different!

So, these are the heatsinks I bought:

P1010854.jpg

And here is the cnc machine routing the holes for the led’s:

IMAG0077.jpg

IMAG0078.jpg

Leaving:

PICT0010.jpg

Close up of the machined hole:

IMAG0085.jpg

Once they were all machined I drilled holes for the screws using the pillar drill. I only got 5 holes drilled before breaking the drill bit! That meant doing all the remaining 47 holes with my spare. Luckily it held up.

PICT0044.jpg

Then, the boring & time consuming thread tapping! Wish I had a machine for this!! I used the chuck of the pillar drill to hold the tap perfectly vertical which worked a treat:

PICT0045.jpg

Finished:

4.jpg

5-1.jpg

Next up was the frame. I bought a large piece of timber from B&Q as this was much cheaper than buying smaller more appropriate sizes. It did mean a lot more machining though.

First, cut it in half to make it more manageable. Then in half again down the middle:

PICT0003.jpg

Then I used the sander thicknesser to get them all the same size and nice and smooth (I love this machine!):

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0006.jpg

Finished pieces:

PICT0007.jpg

Last bit of cutting was a slot for the acrylic splash guard. For this I used the circular saw:

PICT0009.jpg

Then glued & screwed it all together:

3.jpg

2.jpg

1-1.jpg

SS100427.jpg

SS100424.jpg

SS100423.jpg

And that’s where I’m up to. Going back to the workshop this afternoon to wire up some of the led’s.

• 3 weeks later...
pyrocreep

I want your shop.

Just saying.

The tank looks like it's going to be amazing though. I realize your still a ways away, but do you have any specific plans of what you want to do with it for stocking?

I want your shop.

Just saying.

The tank looks like it's going to be amazing though. I realize your still a ways away, but do you have any specific plans of what you want to do with it for stocking?

It is an awesome workshop. We've only just finished building it. If you fancy a trip to england you are welcome to have a play in it!

Stocking wise, I plan to keep mainly lps and a few sps. Im not sure on fish yet but probably only a few special ones.

silversurfer96790

Nice shop, nice build. I got a question ? your big milling tools, like the band saw, cnc, sander, dust collector, ect. do they run on single faze 240v at 50hz ?

I live in Japan and I have both Japanese tools and American tools, all my jap stuff runs on 200v and the American tools run on 110 and 220 volt at 50hz respectfully . I was thinking of adding a bigger Band saw for milling large stock. I can score a nice Chinese made saw on the cheap but it runs on 240v. I already have a 240v setup transformer but its single fazed.Sparky`s are very expensive to hire to wire stuff up here so though I would ask. Sorry full getting off topic, Nice clean shop.

Cheers

All the machines in the workshop run on single phase 240v. We don't have 3 phase available in the area otherwise we would have had 3 phase.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately Ive been too busy at work and haven't had time to work on the tank. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I might have some time spare. Keep checking the thread as I will update when Ive done some more to it.

• 1 month later...

Ok..... boring but very important update! I have finally fixed the shelves meaning the tank can be set running soon :)

Fitting the shelves was a mission! 18 holes 130mm into brick! My arms were dead by the end of it and I think my neighbours must hate me. The fixings are 8x120mm Fischer Frame Fixings which will hold approx. 60Kg's each.

P1020472.jpg

You can just make out the holes here:

P1020469.jpg

The brackets are a Spur twinslot system that can carry a serious amount of weight. Perfect for hanging a fish tank and led heatsinks!!

P1020473.jpg

P1020476.jpg

P1020477.jpg

And there you have it, just need some slight adjustment to get them perfectly level and then they are ready for a fish tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived