Cultivated Reef

Australian College Insanity - One Cubic Foot of Reef

Avalon_Princess

gulfsurfer101

No way I wasn't refferring to you but the guy who thought you were a guy. I believe that Jesus is the way although I don't practice it at much I should and I like to drink and party oftenly but such is life. I think living a life of faith is very respectful and you should never hide about it or feel embarrassed. Jesus didn't and niether should you. Sorry if I caused more confusion to the frenzy I tend to do that. Blue hair is nice, I've had mine blue, red, half red, and many other colors but I was just mommy's little monster. I've grown out of that now that I'm a dad and am expected to be nothing less than a good example for my children.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Avalon_Princess

LOl I know, I wasn't confused at all, it just amuses me is all LOL.

Aww coloured hair isn't a good example? :P I'm struggling with the fact it costs so much to keep my hair dyed, but I do love it so much. My natural hair is a bright honey blonde, but after you've had people compliment you on your hair a few million times growing up you get bored. And blue looks so much better on me LOL. Plus it confuses the hell out of people when you have blue hair and blonde roots.

gulfsurfer101
LOl I know, I wasn't confused at all, it just amuses me is all LOL.

Aww coloured hair isn't a good example? :P I'm struggling with the fact it costs so much to keep my hair dyed, but I do love it so much. My natural hair is a bright honey blonde, but after you've had people compliment you on your hair a few million times growing up you get bored. And blue looks so much better on me LOL. Plus it confuses the hell out of people when you have blue hair and blonde roots.

If it looks good is all that matters, my 4yr old daughter and me watch this wierd holloween style cartoon called corraline and the girls hair is bright blue. My daughter begged me to have her hair like corraline. I finally caved and told her when she was fifteen we could retalk the whole things and see where we stand. She is so smart I won't be suprised if she brings it up on her fifteenth brithday.

Avalon_Princess

So I snapped some more pics now the diatoms are beginning to bloom.

View from the front

b2799a9d.jpg

View from my desk

3fabc267.jpg

Double Image!

61723c6f.jpg

Coraline Kati

It's coming along nicely. And good on you for sticking to your convictions. I've always been a fan of tradition myself, but don't have any issues with finding stuffy churches to visit here in the bible belt.

In terms of stocking do you have any experience with Elegance coral? Sounds like they can be hard to take care of...but the look pretty amazing. You could even get one with blue tentacles to match your hair :P

p-82482-elegance-coral.jpg

Avalon_Princess

LOL, I love Elegance Corals but have yet to come across one that didn't succumb to brown jelly within a few weeks of being moved...

And I give it a week until I smash the stupid expensive filter I bought, it just rattles, and rattles, and rattles, and rattles. And since the tank is on my desk where I spent hours everyday studying, I am going to murder it... Sigh I hope it does eventually stop, I think I'll start looking at other possibilities though...

LOL, I love Elegance Corals but have yet to come across one that didn't succumb to brown jelly within a few weeks of being moved.

And I give it a week until I smash the stupid expensive filter I bought, it just rattles, and rattles, and rattles, and rattles. And since the tank is on my desk where I spent hours everyday studying, I am going to murder it... Sigh I hope it does eventually stop, I think I'll start looking at other possibilities though...

The rattle does it go away when you remove the lid and the intake tube ?

Avalon_Princess

Nope it gets worse... I just went and pulled the whole thing apart yet again but there's still no improvement, there's no sand nothing like that in the tank to harm the impeller, it seems fairly common with AC's, actually with all filters in fact, gah stupid bloody thing, I paid a lot for it and it don't work! gah. And it is now way way past bedtime, meh so I shall attempt to sleep with it rattling away yet agin...

Nope it gets worse... I just went and pulled the whole thing apart yet again but there's still no improvement, there's no sand nothing like that in the tank to harm the impeller, it seems fairly common with AC's, actually with all filters in fact, gah stupid bloody thing, I paid a lot for it and it don't work! gah. And it is now way way past bedtime, meh so I shall attempt to sleep with it rattling away yet agin...

The cover plate on the impeller may be the problem mine rattles after cleaning if not pushed all the way down.

Avalon_Princess

I've fiddled with it a few times, it doesn't seem to be the problem... Anyway I gave in last night and just turned the stupid thing off, it's back on now but that was the best sleep I've had in ages. I'll stop at the petstore today and see if I can get an internal replacement. Sure having a big filter in the tank ruins the zen feel, but if it's quieter I'm all for it...

Avalon_Princess

So I'm gonna have a shower and head into town in a few. I'm thinking I'll see if I can find a whisper, they seem to have a good rep, or if not I may give in and buy a canister. I have run tanks on canisters before (the larger nano I posted a pic of is run entirely on an empty canister, the canister is filled with all sorts of weird sponges and inverts), but my desk is really not set up for a canister as it would have to sit directly behind the tank but anyways... I'm going to dip into my coral budget for this, as there's no point buying corals until I have a sensible filter. Plus I want to try and get a few of these algae blooms out of the way before I add corals, I doubt it'll cause any harm to wait them out for a while...

Oops just realized I called it a filter again, I should add that I have no intention of running anything but carbon in a filter, but it's harder to buy straight power heads like Koralias here, so the filters work better.

Avalon_Princess

So I overspent today greatly LOL, but on DVD's, so I did manage to buy a new filter, and it is an absolute dream. I bought the Elite Hush 55 HOB, it still makes noise but it's just a nice deep hum, no rattling! I particularly like the fact that water pours back into the tank in two streams, so it creates a much more interesting series of swirls and eddies in the tank. Plus since the intake stem is in the center it's virtually hidden by the LR. It also holds more water then the AC which is interesting. It's not as powerful, only 750l/ph but was well worth the $80 I spent on it... They didn't have much of a range of internal filters, and no canisters so I figured I'd try a HOB one last time. I'm glad I did, twas worth it.

LOL, I love Elegance Corals but have yet to come across one that didn't succumb to brown jelly within a few weeks of being moved...

You need to look at QLD suppliers :) most of our stock comes from nearby and is incredibly hardy - I've kept a few over the years and they all grew like mad. Of course, without a sandbed you won't keep one though...

Avalon_Princess

True, and the fact I'm only in the next day delivery network for Sydney... Though I am only about five hours from the border now... LOL

Avalon_Princess

Gah corals will definitely be awhile in coming. Though the tank has completed it's cycle and nitrates are at 0, the calcium, alkalinity and magnesium values are awful-

Calcium- 270

Alkalinity- 12.8 kH

Magnesium- 1170

I currently cannot afford the calcium and Mg additives I need to bring the levels up and I wouldn't be comfortable adding corals until I do... Plus the little hitchhiker corals isn't looking all that happy either. So I'll give the tank more time to settle and I'll keep adding part A of the two part system I bought because their definitely is no need for more alkalinity...

Avalon_Princess

So after tests the other day showed calcium at 270, Alk at 12.8 and Mg to 1170 I upped the dosages. So I set a slow drip up to add ten ml of the Part A supplement over 24 hours. It seems to have helped as calcium is now at 350 ppm, alk is still at 12.8 and Magnesium is up to 1200. So I'm going to do the same again today and see if I can get calcium back into normal values. I'm debating on buying some epsom salts to deal with the magnesium which may help keep calcium and alk stable as well...

That is one cool little cube, very cute and girly. Can you go more into the dosing of epsom salt to raise mag. I've heard of it being done in larger tanks but nothing this small.

Avalon_Princess

I used to use it in my old tank. Basically you use this calculator- http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html to find out how much you need. Then I would dissolve only one or two teaspoons in maybe 1l of top off water and let it drip slowly into the tank, and I'd just do this each day until the Mg levels were where I wanted them to be. I'd also occasionally just add a teaspoon to any fresh salt water I was mixing. It depends on the salt you use though, the one I use is low in Mg and I like to keep Mg fairly elevated so I used to use epsom salts. I'd prefer to use a liquid additive because the cleaners freak if I spill things in my room, but I don't have the money to purchase one... and epsom salts are cheap as chips...

Avalon_Princess

I'm starting to feel very confused, I added another ten ml of Part A yesterday and retested today expecting a rise in values... but Ca and Mg have dropped...

Calcium- 330

Alkalinity- 12.8 dKH

Magnesium- 1150

Gah LOL, evil tank, I'll try dosing it again today but may have to just leave it till I can get hold of a straight calcium supplement...

Avalon_Princess

So I just retested and even after another 10ml of Part A calcium's only hovering at 360... So I'm going to set some water to mix from a different bag of salt and see if a 10l water change sorts it out...

Avalon_Princess

So I just finished yet another essay, Yay! so am rewarding myself by going on the forums LOL.

The water change seemed to help a bit with levels

Calcium- 360

Alkalinity-12.5

Magnesium- 1200

So I'm just going to leave it and see what happens to the levels, and will just keep doing 10l water changes until the levels are more normal.

Avalon_Princess

So just a brief update, I've begun dosing epsom salts and the diatoms have also almost receding. I also saw my very first critter, an inch long eunice worm, recognizable by the lil white band near the head segments and the funky face. I figure he's just a detrivore as he;s pink not black, it won't be hard to fish him out if he starts eating corals though... there's not exactly a lotta rocks LOL.

Avalon_Princess

Okay change of plan. There's a high possibility that due to various unrelated issues my marine tank at my parents house will have to be shut down, if this happens the 150w MH light on it and ALL of the corals will be moving across to the lil cube. I also have to go home for the Summer now, so I'll shut the tank down, pack the LR up and transport it home, or possibly the whole tank, everything is kind of up in the air at the mo. But it does mean I most likely won't be buying corals until I know for certain whats happening.

• 2 months later...

Archived