inTank Media Baskets

Australian College Insanity - One Cubic Foot of Reef

Avalon_Princess

Avalon_Princess

I have to say I hope ausfrags still has these by the time I'm ready to buy...

http://www.ausfrags.com.au/shop/sinularia-frags-p-878.html

And these guys

http://www.ausfrags.com.au/shop/fluro-gree...rphs-p-846.html

And this...

http://www.ausfrags.com.au/shop/ricordea-l...rple-p-880.html

I doubt they will be but there so pretty... LOL. And okay enough of a distraction, I need to get back to forensic science readings...

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Avalon_Princess

So... I broke and bought some LR from the local pet store, they had this one piece I really liked... And I'm officially hopeless LOL. Anyways I only bought 1.5kg, some salt and a heater. Am mixing water now...

Avalon_Princess

So got everything set up with the LR in a tub with the Ac for circulation and what do I discover? the AC rattles extremely loudly gah. The rattle is slowly changing though, it started really fast and it seems to be slowing down so hopefully it's just the AC breaking in... I hope... Like I know it's not in the best position as it's partly resting on the desk, but I hope it does quiet down... I have a towel under it at the mo to cushion the noise... And it isn't as awful as it was...

Avalon_Princess

So I had some time to snap some quick pics of the LR. It's not the prettiest LR but I was enamored by the shapes...

So the cube will only be viewable on two sides...

So the scape from the front will be this-

0d7c606d.jpg

And from the side, this, though there'll be softy growing out of the hole...

696f986b.jpg

And this is the lil coral that was growing on one of the rocks.

e79ad3be.jpg

It has about a half inch diameter and those are it's feeders out. It's an LPS with a hard circular skeleton similar to this-

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mus...op_Macro_91.JPG

But with less radiating ridges....

Avalon_Princess

Got the rock with coral for $5, which is hilarious since they were selling the same corals on frag plugs for $35 a piece... I don't think they noticed the coral there.

Avalon_Princess

So the plans for this tank may change slightly. A guy from an Australian forum I'm on has offered to sell me some morphs and he has Elephant Ears, I've always loved them but never kept one as I always just that wee bit too late. So I may make the feature coral an elephant ear instead of a softy... So then it would be a tank made up entirely of morphs which would be awesome...

Avalon_Princess

Since my law essay is currently not progressing I thought I'd share some pics of the corals I'll be getting sometime next week.

I'm getting the elephant ears at the top of this page and one of the green morphs on the right

http://aquariumexcellence.tripod.com/corals-page-3.html

And the yellow and brown fluffy at the top

http://aquariumexcellence.tripod.com/corals-2.html

I'm debating on whether I want anything else, he's offered to sell me one of the fluffy morphs off the $80 rock for $20 so I'm not sure on that either, and that 20cm Persian Carpet is to die for, cept my tanks a wee bit too small LOL. He's also going to see if he can get a frag of one of his green leathers to for me!

Avalon_Princess

So I have no idea whatsoever how I did it, but the AquaClear was still making a lot of noise so I just tilted it slightly because it was annoying me and it's now running even quieter then the small Aqua One HOB on Siggy's tank. I is very confused but also very glad it finally shut up LOL.

Avalon_Princess

Well the AC is making a tonne of noise again, just in time for me to go to bed. It better either quiet down or I get used to it otherwise I'm going to end up unplugging it in my sleep because it's annoying me.

Avalon_Princess

So lesson of the day- don't order from Guppies if you want vaguely quick delivery. Three days guarantee my ass, it's been a week. I could have driven up there and picked it up myself faster.... And it's still not here. So I'm guessing my little hitchhiker coral is probably gonna die, it's been in the dark since Saturday...

gulfsurfer101

You'll be fine, the coral should last at least two weeks with no light. Just acclimate it propperly once you get your tank lit up or it might get a little peeved from getting blasted ofter being in the dark for so long. Nice hitchiker btw. You are so lucky to live in a place where I plan to retire. I want to surf the gold coast but will probably be too old by then.

Avalon_Princess

As to the tank being set up it's a yes/no answer. The set up is running happy as larry in a plastic tub, so the LR can cure but the glass tank will arrive hopefully on Friday. As will test kits so I can confirm what I'm already fairly certain of which is the LR is cured. There's not even the slightest smell, no sign of die off whatsoever, no miserable sea creatures, nothing. Just clean fresh smelling LR. Assuming it is okay I'll have some corals arriving Tuesday. The guy who's sending them to me is happy to hang on to them for a bit longer if the light system doesn't arrive or something else happens...

Armidale is certainly a gorgeous place, a pity the reason I'm here is because of uni. It means lots of admiring it's beauty whilst locked in my room studying. Autumn though is amazing, the road up to the uni is called Elm Avenue and dear god is it amazing in the autumn, the whole place is really.

Avalon_Princess

After thinking about it I'm going to leave corals for a bit, i have too much happening over the next few weeks to fiddle around with corals, so I'll set the tank up when it comes but then just leave it for awhile, till I'm ready and funds allow...

Avalon_Princess

So my light system and test kits may just have gotten lost in the post. Which is just wonderful. I'll call the couriers tomorrow and badger them.

Avalon_Princess

I just hope it turns up, I can't exactly afford to shell out another $200 for the same things... It's night at the mo so I'll ring the couriers nice and early in the morning and badger them. I'm really hoping that they'll just turn up tomorrow but I live six hours away from the store and it's a drive straight down the highway, it really shouldn't take more than a week...

Avalon_Princess

Hmm may have found the problem. The store sent it by a particular courier who doesn't actually have Armidale or any of the region actually on their routes. Whats the betting they took the package and then went oops and have done anything since?

And just to make sure it turns up I've decided that if I can get a refund out of the store I'll bite the bullet and get an MH and skip the test kits...

Avalon_Princess

Okay and I will admit I believe that as soon as I decide I don't want something I'll end up with it. Thus if I make alternate plans my package will arrive tomorrow...

However if it doesn't and I get a refund I am so getting this-

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalog...72&catID=64

It's way beyond my price range but if I save for a couple of weeks I should be able to afford it...

Archived