Pod Your Reef

Australian College Insanity - One Cubic Foot of Reef

Avalon_Princess

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Avalon_Princess

LOl well I'm just a weird one...

So although I can't actually get to a decent LFS till December I've been wondering about the transportation issue.... So I was wondering if I bought corals the day before and settled them overnight in a tub with a small power head and heater, and then repacked them the next day with plenty of water into an esky, for the five-six hour drive back do you think that would have a good survival rate? It will be the middle of summer so the main temperature issue would be heat rather then them getting cold... But they'd have to spend something like twenty four hours between being bought and actually being placed in the tank.

Avalon_Princess

So I'm bored and I thought I'd share a picture of the other fish tank in my room....

17df366d.jpg

It's just a 9l Aqua One tank that belongs to Sigmund my paradise fish...

4381b628.jpg

Siggy has the whole transportation thing down pat. Every time I visit my parents Siggy comes along in a peanut butter jar as obviously I can't leave him in a fish tank for weeks without food or water changes.

Avalon_Princess

So I've been toying with the idea of the online ordering places and finally broke and contacted ausfrag.com.au. I'm not sure I'm entirely comfortable supporting the local store so am seeing how feasible it would be to do two separate orders at ausfrags, one for a few kg of liverock and one for a few corals... I've just eamiled them to ask whether they would mind selecting a specific shape of rock for me. They probably won't but I could always just go with whatever...

So I've just being fiddling with the postage price calculator even if the package ends up being calculated at nine kg, it will still only be about $88 for four kg, the petstore charges $20 a kg, so only $8 more to support a place that I actually like... hmm I might actually do this. :o I just thought of the reaction of the admin staff here if I ordered LR, total win...

rockwork is important, dont just go with whatever. especially in a tank thats 12x12, you'll be in a fit of rage if you end up with a bunch of solid circles. trust me on this, my rockwork took like a week to plan out

Avalon_Princess

I know but I am handy with a chisel and coral putty... It's a toss up as to either buying quality liverock that may not be exactly the shape I wanted, or crap live rock at a store I don't like for a more expensive price just for the shape I want. Plus buying LR from ausfrags should result in more hitchhikers which are fun...

So the postage calculator at ausfrags is different to the one I was fiddling with, according to that I can get 4kg of LR for $75...

I think designing your rockwork is like an art, and I am no artist (check out my sig for proof)! Something I'll need to work on for sure. At least ordering online you'll be in for a surprise, pity you can't pick it tho.

Avalon_Princess

Because my mind does not shut up on alternative subjects when I'm nervous (waiting for an assessment draft to be checked by a friend so I know whether I need to rewrite the whole thing or not) I'm once again thinking about exactly what i want this tank to look like...

Because another idea just occurred to me that I quite like. The AquaClear is incredibly large, and I was wondering, what if I bought like 2kg of rubble, 1/2 kg of sand, and got one single small flat piece. The rubble and the sand would go into the aqua clear unless they had some interesting corals on them and the small flat piece in the center of the tank. Then I could anchor a vertically growing softy to the flat piece and surround the rest of it with morphs. So like a carpet of morphs with one tall coral in the center...

I know I want it to be minimalistic and I know I want bare bottom with a single vertically growing coral...

And this way I could buy the rubble online or you know buy rock and make rubble, and then get a single small piece from the store and dunk it in freshwater coz like I said, I don't trust them...

What do you think?

Avalon_Princess

LOl yeah I spent eight hours writing that stupid essay and am now unsure as to whether or not I answered the question, second guessing yourself is FUN! not LOL.

haha, so there's a chance your essay is 8 hours worth of rambling........priceless?! I'm sure it'll be fine, I thought you ppl from Oz were supposed to be laid back?

Avalon_Princess

LOL I'm just a stress head, tis why I need a marine tank, nice and calming... till it crashes LOL. Nah I just have three essays due at the same time and really don't want to have to rewrite any of them. All will be well after the 3/9 LOL.

Avalon_Princess

It is worth it, I'm doing a double degree of criminology and law and normally I love my classes, its just the assessments that suck. Besides the money I'll be earning when I graduate makes it an entirely worthwhile.

Good for you, especially if you've found something you love. I have a different way of thinking and started full time employment when I was 16.

Avalon_Princess

Yeah, I don't know it was always expected for me to go to uni, though no one actually thought I'd do law, it's worth it though, it's a subject I love much to the shock of my family...

So the essay apparently makes sense and is apparently grammatically correct which is a first. So onto revision for the next big quiz, meh marine tank much more interesting...

Avalon_Princess

Really? that's awesome! I've done some work placements but because my unis in the middle of nowhere all the jobs here are taken... plus studying full time doesn't exactly lend much time to jobs, or living at college for that matter.

Yeah, i'm no Lawyer though, I keep these guys in check I'm the Accounts Manager (Boring, I know). It pays my mortgage though! Every now and then we'll have people come on placements and by the time they leave we've normally put them off...lol. Yeah where your uni is it sounds like it's more of an isolated boot camp.

Avalon_Princess

Nah I'm used to country towns. I've done some placement in the intellectual property department of one of the big city firms which was interesting. I now know I don't want to work in a big city firm LOL, though the work itself is interesting there's just too many people... I'm pretty much planning to be a country lawyer. Assuming I survive five years here LOL.

Go with Ausfrags. Amazing retailer. I've not used them since Caio was in charge, but I hear that Grant (???) is just as good to deal with. Excellent quality stock. Their LR is some of the best I've ever seen. Failing that, Pete @ 100% Reef Safe has his rock for like $10/kg last I heard. And either way, you're guaranteed they know what the hell they're talking about...

Avalon_Princess

Yeah I think I will order from ausfrags... Unfortunately 100% Reef safe is in Qld, so I'm outside the next day delivery network... Oh well. So I'm thinking my guppies package should arrived today hopefully, then the tank and accessories should arrive next Friday. I'll set it up on Monday and get the salt mixed etc and order the LR which I should receive on Tuesday...

Pete doesn't do next day delivery insofar as I'm aware, he generally sticks stuff on charter flights as extras going on what the guys down in MASS have said. I guess I'm lucky... I'm literally 10 minutes drive (and joyously, the closest MASQ member) to him so I get all the good stuff before anybody sees... :lol:

Avalon_Princess

Well then, I officially hate you! LOl's, I'd love to be that close to a decent supplier, even at home the best LFS was a good hours drive away... And unfortunately was very big on acros. I have no problem with acros personally, I just don't want to keep them...

Archived