Cultivated Reef

Acan thread

reef keeper

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gatsu77: gorgeous what are the names? Got to get some!

Can u feed acans krill?

To be honest, I have no idea what to call the purple/green acans, I got them as a 3 head frag from an LFS I trust/respect around here, easily 20+ heads now. I've had it for probably 7-8 months.

The echinata, as best I can guess based on names I've seen online of similar colors, is rainbow sherbet. I picked up that frag on Sunday at the Inland Empire Coral Farmer's Market. Really fun event.. got a few cool things while I was there, as did my girlfriend. Both of us are excited for Reefapalooza in October.

I do feed my acans krill, I tend to tear whole krill into small pieces w/ a long pair of tongs, and feed several polyps on the colony as I feed everything else. Heck of a lot easier than trying to feed mysis shrimp with tongs. :x

Edit: Forgot I had these couple photos from when I first got my red/white acans about 9 months ago. I need to frag up this colony soon, it is running out of places to grow new polyps.

acans12-122.jpg

acans12-12-09.jpg

Actinic shot of some acans my girlfriend has

IMG_1438.jpg

One of mine eating some Hikari Marine S pellets

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1492-1.jpg

The Echinata I posted the other day, from the front. (sorry some of these turned out so crummy... I really need to clean my glass down by the sand. :x)

IMG_1398.jpg

Actinic shot of some acans my girlfriend has

IMG_1438.jpg

One of mine eating some Hikari Marine S pellets

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1492-1.jpg

The Echinata I posted the other day, from the front. (sorry some of these turned out so crummy... I really need to clean my glass down by the sand. :x)

IMG_1398.jpg

what lens and camera?

Tamron 180mm 3.5 Macro on a Canon 40D. Once I clean up the glass I'll take some more to show off the difference.

damn thats a PRETTY big Macro, I was thinking about getting the 100mm Canon Macro

damn thats a PRETTY big Macro, I was thinking about getting the 100mm Canon Macro

You talking about size, cost, or actual appearance of the lens? I've heard good things about the Canon 100mm macro.. I just like the working distance of the 180. When I initially bought it, it was a dual-purpose lens, it was my macro and telephoto lens. I now just use it for macro work, as I have my 70-200 2.8L IS. The 100mm Canon will cost you less than the 180mm Tamron, (on the order of $120ish) but if you are interested, check out Tamron's 90mm 2.8 macro.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3306...m_f_2_8_Di.html

Also a phenomenal lens - my best friend has it, and lent it to me a couple times. You'll need to be closer to your subject than with the 180mm to get true 1:1 macro, but it produces beautiful results. (and is cheaper than the Canon 100, by ~$110 if you factor the mail in rebate that is currently available)

You talking about size, cost, or actual appearance of the lens? I've heard good things about the Canon 100mm macro.. I just like the working distance of the 180. When I initially bought it, it was a dual-purpose lens, it was my macro and telephoto lens. I now just use it for macro work, as I have my 70-200 2.8L IS. The 100mm Canon will cost you less than the 180mm Tamron, (on the order of $120ish) but if you are interested, check out Tamron's 90mm 2.8 macro.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3306...m_f_2_8_Di.html

Also a phenomenal lens - my best friend has it, and lent it to me a couple times. You'll need to be closer to your subject than with the 180mm to get true 1:1 macro, but it produces beautiful results. (and is cheaper than the Canon 100, by ~$110 if you factor the mail in rebate that is currently available)

Thanks for the info! ill definitely look into that Tammy.

Just got last night....

rainbow_acan.jpg

These as well...

2_acans.jpg

Small ones are still mad! they were fragged off the mother colony when I bougth them so they were still pissed off about the wet saw!

Very nice i espically like the top one!^

Hey guys i got and acan about a month or two ago and when i fist got it on 1/4 of a head died and now their are about 2 and 1/4 head on it but they don't puff out like my other acan their sweepers are out everynight thought and their on the sand bed.

fearofablackmetalplanet

post-57093-1286977292_thumb.jpg

"goby wan kenobi" peeking out over the first acan i got in my 2.5 pico. i just moved everything over into my new 20 gallon setup and have several more acans now! These are by far my favorite coral w/their low maintenance and endless variety of interesting patterns.

Do Acans sting eachother if they are too close? I just had one mess up a chalice that tipped over on top of one of the Acan polyps in a frag rack. Wanted to make sure they don't hurt eachother if I put them on the same rock.

Archived