Coral Vue Hydros

ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Aquanist

New page needs new pictures.

da969670.jpg

dd334de6.jpg

2f073f29.jpg

In the second picture under your Tunze power head what is the algae growing under it? I have that on my overflow and wasn't sure if it was good or bad. Kinda grows in a mat.

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest I haven't got the foggiest on that algae ID. IMO tanks do need to have some algae on them and I just can't be bothered to fuss about it as long as it doesn't become a problem. That green algae grows as a sorta very short coarse mat providing food for fishes and shelter for pods.. Beneficial all the way in my book.

So today I finally got that understairs-cryptic zone connected to the system.. I had the rocks cycling for a week just in case, even if it was already 100% cured premium rock.

I'ts connected via 32mm piping and durso overflow with ball valve for flow control and adjustable air valve making it dead silent. I'm also using tunze 6015 for added surface agitation.

And here's some pictures from today...

bb5da15e.jpg

333d68b2.jpg

367703a3.jpg

bec3b50a.jpg

b904868e.jpg

65c50ed1.jpg

9b7d5ba9.jpg

f029aae5.jpg

4492bdc4.jpg

I'll post proper picture from inside as my lime water has saturated and precipitated to the bottom of my ATO reservoir...

Questions? Feel free to ask. -_-

Some good looking rock you have there!!

Also I like the fact that you show the rubber glove and hope that any newbs also see it. always good to wear protection.

Very clean! My 4 yr old son says your sump and LR system looks like magic. Lol.

Thanks.. Although I do believe the correct description would be decribed here.

Some good looking rock you have there!!

Also I like the fact that you show the rubber glove and hope that any newbs also see it. always good to wear protection.

Thanks and agreed. When working with some SPS only I must admit to not wearing any protection, but with LR they're a must. Even with this rock there was a few bristle worms I would have had a nasty confrontation with had I not beed wearing these gloves. Not to mention the plethora of other possible nasties and the sharp edges of the rock itself

Then again it's pretty saddening to see the trend with many noobs being they want their LR to be free of anything living except the bacteria.. Where's the fun in that - no sudden jolts when you find that HUGE red-eyed thing in the middle of the night 6 months after getting the rock and never having thought you had something like that in the first place or no mystery corals sprouting out of nowhere.. I know this guy who actually had a baby moray eel as a hitchhiker..

Lol when I clicked the link I didn't know what I was going to find. Such a timeless classic, 'The lions, the tigers, the [fish], oh my!'

Outstanding color and mix of corals. Couple questions for you.

- What products do you use for Cal and Alk dosing?

- What feeding regiment do you use for your SPS?

- What method are you using to control Phosphates?

- Do you use any vitamin/aminos or similar product?

always a pleasure
Wub!! :wub:
:bowdown:
Amazing colors, thriving :)
Very nice tank! Also wanted to say that It looks like pistol shrimp ramen noodles haha!!
Incredible! omgomgomg That's an amazing range of diversity :thumbsup:

Thank you all :bowdown: And LOL @ gjones! :lol:

Outstanding color and mix of corals. Couple questions for you.

- What products do you use for Cal and Alk dosing?

- What feeding regiment do you use for your SPS?

- What method are you using to control Phosphates?

- Do you use any vitamin/aminos or similar product?

- Tropic Marin Bio Calcium Liquid 3-channel balling 80ml/liquid/day AND lime water ATO.

- Bright lights and what I mentioned above mainly. Once or twice per week cyclop-eeze after lights out.

- NP reducing bioballs tumbling in reactor with exit at skimmer intake.

- None. Fish poo seems to do the trick. B)

Looking stellar! What's the current fish list?

• Zebrasoma flavescens
  • Zebrasome xanthurum
  • Paracanthurus hepatus
  • 7 Pseudanthias squamipinnis (1M+6F)
  • 2 Amphiprion ocellaris (M+F)
  • 2 Gobiodon histrio (M+F)
  • 2 Pterosynchiropus splendidus (M+F)
  • Labroides dimiatus
  • Centropyge bispinosus
  • Crysiptera hemicyanea
  • Pseudocheilinus hexataenia
  • Atrosalarias fuscus

Luckily I feel no need whatsoever to add any fish into the tank as I now have pretty much everything I've ever dreamed of having. Also, tangs are playing it nice like Ozzie and Harriet. Adding the purple tang last really proved to be well worth the wait.

This is really incredible. Makes me want to stop buying frags and get some colony's up in here.

Question: whats the purple coral with green polyps in the pic with the goby pair? Right in the middle. I have had a fast growing frag of that for a while and no one seems to know what its called. Thx.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Kat! :flower:

I haven't found it's species beyond Alpheus sp. until now. I haven't really tried either. Why you call it/him terror? That's the cuddliest ever pistol shrimp I could imagine. Comes to greet me whenever I gently tap his house sponge... Not to mention he hitched his way into my very first SW tank inside my very first LR piece some 3 years ago. We've seen some wild thing in our days you know. :lol:

Archived