Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Seabass's 17.4 Gallon (taken down)

seabass

is the tank alive?
Not yet; too much going on right now. However, I'm impressed with the progress that some of the other contestants have made.

Tonight, I cleaned out my other tank to collect some mature sand. What a mess! Tomorrow, I'll put a couple of dry rocks in that tank to get a little life on them. Also tomorrow, I have some coral coming that will go into quarantine (although I'm still not sure what I want to put into this seagrass tank). :unsure:

Some more plumbing parts came in today, so I plan to drill the tank on Friday. I'll take some pics (hopefully not of a floor full of glass shards). I also need to work on a stand and my sump. I'd like to have water in it next week.

The tank looks awesome! I can't wait to see how it turns out. I've never really done any research into sea grasses...
Thanks, it can only go down hill from here. ;) I still have a lot of research to do myself.
  • Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What no pics of tank with a hole drilled into it yet. But there was fun dip & I know I saw a hole saw. I just know it.

These things take time. No worrys.

this tank is going to be amazing :D;)

tagging along!

I have some coral coming that will go into quarantine (although I'm still not sure what I want to put into this seagrass tank). :unsure:

zoas and rics would look cool :)

this tank is going to be amazing...zoas and rics would look cool
Thanks LB! I'm was thinking about Rics. Got a few delivered on Thursday.

I picked up one of these drill guides from Sears today, but didn't attempt to drill the tank yet.

41YCM6VJAWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I might have to try a test hole first. Plus, I'll probably have to make a jig to prevent it from moving around.

Looks like the kind BRS sells too. Drilling isnt too bad, def gonna test your pucker factor. go slow and let the bit do the work

Here We Go!

072110a.jpg

The drill guide allowed the bit to start without use of another template. The Play-Doh dam worked, but plumber's putty would have been better. I developed another way to make sure that the dam retained water...sweating into it. :) I used a piece of Plexiglas on the back to hold the plug (and some water) as I finished up.

072110b.jpg

Not too bad. I wouldn't call it easy, but it was very doable.

072110c.jpg

It was so much fun, :rolleyes: I drilled the return. The glass plug is on the left. Still not too bad, but I had a little more chip out on the return. I'm guessing because my hand was cramping, my back was hurting, and I probably could have taken more time toward the end.

Now to sand the holes and install the bulkheads. :happydance: This tank may see water yet.

I haven't decided on painting the back black, or leaving it clear. I'm kind of leaning towards clear and painting the PVC pipe black (or just using black tubing). :unsure:

072310a.jpg

It will be in front of a tan wall (not the white background in the pic).

andrewguilfoy

That drilling is super clean.

Stand wise, you probably already planned something with a center brace. I learned that the hard way. Mostly just underestimated the proportions. They are heavy little tanks.. Time to bust out the 2x4's :D

Thanks!

So I was browsing Diver's Den tonight and saw this little guy that I just couldn't pass up. He's a 1¾" Cebuan Blue Head Combtooth Blenny (Ecsenius lividanalis). :wub:

blenny.jpg

For now, he's going into quarantine, but I'm thinking he'll end up in this tank.

Definitely a nice looking fish.

But on the stand you could just have the tank sit down lower in the stand if you wanted a more permanent solution to cover up some of the DSB. Assuming you're building it yourself?

Archived