SaltCritters.com

Seabass's 17.4 Gallon (taken down)

seabass

I'm still considering a sump full of live rock and a display with less rock. However, without a sump, I want enough rock to act as a proper biological filter, while leaving enough room for the seagrass.

So (without a sump), I'm thinking that I'll aquascape it something like this.

rocks.jpg

Keeping in mind that I'm planning on a 5" sand bed.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neato. This will be cool.

I am kind of scared though, you know what you are doing when it comes to reefs lol.

animalmaster6

I like it. I can picture quite a big seagrass bed swaying with a goby perched on the top of a rock under a Kenya Tree. There is a jawfish hanging under a rock. :happy:

Hey seabass

Along the way I came across some research papers (pdf's) on sea grass. Think they may be linked in either the macro thread or sand bed thread. Think its the sand bed thread though.

Thanks bitts! There is a lot of good information in both of those threads. I've got a lot of reading to do. :)

Wait there's a manufactured rimless tank, that's drillable.

Will you be using lily pipes for the return.

Wait there's a manufactured rimless tank, that's drillable.
From what I've read (maybe it's just speculation), the bottom is tempered and the sides are not. :unsure:

Will you be using lily pipes for the return.
Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. I was thinking about a bulkhead for the return, but I might have to reconsider.

I bought a 10 gallon tank to use as a sump today (part of PETCO's $1 per gallon sale). I'll probably keep a few chunks of LR in the sump, so that the display's aquascape will have a bit less rock. Maybe something like this:

sand_and_rocks.jpg

Thanks, I'm thinking about wrapping the bottom 6" with adhesive vinyl, to hide the sand. What do you think?

That actually looks really good. Personally would leave the sand visible. Always kind of like the lighting on the sand at different depths.

I definitely like it exposed when it's new and clean, but I'm not 100% sure that I'll love it as much as it ages. However, I suppose that I could always wrap it later. Maybe I'll wait and see how it colors up first.

My other thought was that with this being the tank I think it will be. being able to watch the bugs may be a large part of the fun.

I might have to import some, but I was planning that already. I hope to see some seagrass roots too. :)

The tank looks awesome! I can't wait to see how it turns out.

I've never really done any research into sea grasses... this might spark a few hours worth ;p

Archived