Cultivated Reef

My first pico! Dymax IQ3 now 5 YEARS OLD!

andrewkw

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took some new photos today :

IMGP9208.JPG

IMGP9209.JPG

IMGP9212.JPG

IMGP9214.JPG

IMGP9217.JPG

IMGP9219.JPG

IMGP9221.JPG

IMGP9225.JPG

IMGP9199.JPG

IMGP9205.JPG

and one of my Octopus who's still going strong 9 months after I got him (he's over 1 year old now for sure).

IMGP9185.JPG

Stunning colours!

You have octopus in there?? Or is that a separate tank?

He is a full grown Octopus Briareus, well starting to shrink because of age, but is probably 20-22" arm to arm. Peaked around 24" Lives in a 90 gallon. This is the second one of this species I have kept. The first one who I also got very young did not make it this long. Prior to the Octos I kept dwarf cuttlefish (sepia bandensis).

Purchased at local reef shop.

• 1 month later...

I will take some new pics later today but just wanted to mention today is the tanks second birthday.

2 years old today!

Not that I'm surprised this is still running, but I still consider it a nice accomplishment to have a 2 gallon tank survive 2 years without a crash and several original or near original corals are still thriving..

Tubro snail died today. He survived 5 months in the pico, don't think it was starvation just his time. Still fighting moderate algae growth that the turbo never ate, but once again I have to wipe the acrylic. I should probably change my half tablespoon of GFO..

• 3 weeks later...

No nothing new, busy with my garden eels. Tank pretty much runs on it's own other then water changes. Maybe in a few weeks I will add something new.

• 5 months later...

Still going. Had some major trouble with hair algae. Took about 6 months or more to clear out. In the process I did lose a few things. The final solution was THREE mexican turbo snails.

I will try and get some pics soon. Camera has been acting up lately.

• Like 1

Hey, love the tank.

I'm looking to buy an LED fixture for a future pico; how satisfied are you with the one you have now?

99% satisfied. It originally did fail a month or so after buying it, they replaced it for free of course but I had to ship it back. I should still have another 6 years or so on the bulb I hope.

• Like 1

I really like the top of this tank, it looks so nice with the larger colonies of corals. It's awesome that this pico is still going. My suggestions for the hair algae was going to be peroxide and have an emerald crab clean it up after. unfortunately an emerald might complicate things for your corals in there since the tnak isn't very large.

I hate to post this low quality pic but it's the best I can do for now. I wanted a 2013 picture as this tank is now in it's 3rd calender year. Most if not all of the pico builds I followed before and while I was creating this tank are now gone :(

My SLR seems to be done but I will pick up a new one soon. Believe it or not the pictures of the tank were taken with a 6 megapixel pentax! I plan on getting a Canon but hopefully I can get an adapter for the lens or if it comes to it just buy a macro lens for canon body.

This picture was taken with my video camera it's only 2 megapixel. Point and shoots and iphone / ipad cannot get anything close to a proper white balance with the par 30 bulb.

New pics in a few weeks I hope. I think I can maybe squeeze in 1-2 more corals but no longer seem to have any chemical warefare and the stuff that has survived looks like it will be here long term. There a few things that have made it 2+ years in the tank.

2013pico.jpg

Still looks great man. The gsp filled in as a great background.

I believe substrate management did well for your tank, there's nothing to store up waste! How in the world did you keep every single corner of the tank free of coralline all this time, that usually is hard to manage while meeting the growth demands of stony corals

There is coralline on the bottom and no scratches on the walls from cleaning...nice balance.

looks absolutely fantastic mate! i think i am going to remove my substrate from my 12l, i do regret adding it in :(

Archived