Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My first pico! Dymax IQ3 now 5 YEARS OLD!

andrewkw

A few new pics :

Fisheye :

fisheye.jpg

topdownfish.jpg

regular 40mm

june1.jpg

micro.jpg

newacan.jpg

New Acan you can barely see. The more I examine this tank the more I see little spots I can attempt to place a few more corals. The one problem I am having is its getting harder and harder to clean the acrylic with no space between it and the corals or in some cases them growing on the acrylic.

more to come

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Everything is still doing good I did lose that tiny micro and one of the acans. Other stuff is just growing over them. What is surprising is the pink chalice which has been in the tank almost since day one has started to not only grow over the front of the tank but over some zoos as well. You would think the faster growing zoos would be growing over the chalice but nope.

Everything does more or less look the same but a little more full. I will take some new pics sooner or later. Reefing has really taken a back seat to my astrophotograhy hobby but I plan on maintaining the pico forever. It's just so easy. I can ignore it for 2 weeks and no big deal a tiny bit of algae. When I do a water chance once every 1-2 weeks its a 20-30 minute thing. I usually change the filter floss twice at this time and then a spoonful of carbon and half of gfo. That's it. It's just that easy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dodged a bullet tonight. The powerbar the tank is connected to caught fire! There were no flames or anything just a slow burning smell. No water spilled and the fire actually consisted of the on off switch burning. The outlets themselves were not burning but the light started to flicker.

I'll pick up a new powerbar tomorrow if I can't find one laying around in the mean time plugged the filter and return pump back in to computer powerbar. This little tank does actually have 3 pumps 4 if you count the ATO and the light. so it needs 5 outlets

Nothing much has really changed in the tank itself. I'd like to add something new but in reality there will be less and less corals as some grow completely over others.

yikes! close call. what kind of powerbar burned up? which brand if you remember?

also how many plugs are there for this pico? around 8 total?

i remember my picotope had 8 plugs...it was simply too much.

It was a nova powerbar. There are only 5 plugs. 6 i guess if you count the fan but I don't use it anymore. I also don't heat the tank. Just keep the room comfortable for me and it's comfortable for the pico.

Filter
Return pump
Powerhead
auto top off

PAR 30

Love the tank... Boy is it packed love all the zoas. How are you liking the light. How much flow do you have

I'm also in Ontario im near toronto what about you? Where do you go for your corals

Love the tank... Boy is it packed love all the zoas. How are you liking the light. How much flow do you have

I'm also in Ontario im near toronto what about you? Where do you go for your corals

I like the light no reason to change it until it burns out or the colour shifts.

You can probably find the GPH somewhere in the thread but I can't remember off hand. The return pump was replaced with a minijet 404, there is a zoo meds mini powerhead in the false wall and the pico power filter. Considering the very few options out there for a tank this size I am happy with the flow. Still get a lot of detritus but I try and vacuum it out. Hard to do when the tank is so packed.

I'm in Mississauga, and although I haven't been very active in the hobby the past few years I generally shop at Reef Raft, Rivers 2 Oceans, North American Fish Breeders, and Sea U Marine.

I took some new pictures today. I am in need of a new nano mag cleaner and haven't cleaned the arcyrlic in a really long time. There is a bit of algae but I think it will probably shrink as long as I keep up with the water changes and gfo changes. Now that the days are getting short the tank gets a lot less natural sunlight.

IMG_4039.JPG

IMG_4041.JPG

Look at the GSP being sucked into the filter but still continuing to thrive

IMG_4043.JPG

IMG_4047.JPG

IMG_4050.JPG

Chalice has really coloured up, although it has no where to go it's starting to grow up.

IMG_4052.JPG

IMG_4049.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Skimmed through this thread and the evolution of your tank has been inspirational. For whatever reason, those Grandis palys are my favorite frag and it seems like they've been there since the beginning.

I know you spoke to the mangroves, but can you provide some more details if i missed it. Specifically the lighting situation, is the ambient sunlight the tank receives sufficient to keep the mangroves alive? Also, how are the sponges doing? It looked like the yellow sponge was growing pretty fast for a while there.

Clarinet_Reefer

It is tanks like this that always gets me fired up for Picos! Such a small tank yet such a diversity of life, color and beauty. Keep up the good work and you may want to consider more industrial strength power management ie a more robust powerbar. I'm glad you caught it before anything bad happened and it gives us all a chance to see what pieces of equipment should fail over the long run.

thadscottmoore

took my systems down in May due to move into new home and no time to dedicate to the reefs. This tank really inspires me to get my IQ3 out of the box and get it started again.

Archived