Top Shelf Aquatics

My first pico! Dymax IQ3 now 5 YEARS OLD!

andrewkw

WONDERFUL!!!! :wub:

You have been the inspiration for my new picoreef desk!!! I am a civil engineer and spent many hours in the office... I can´t enjoy to my home nanoreef.

After seeing your pico, I decided to take a piece of my aquarium to the job.

DYMAX not sold in Europe so I have to buy a copy and the light will be an Aquamedic´s bulb:

mini-acuario-jad-leds-arts.jpg9447_1.jpg

I hope to have a picoreef as beautiful as yours

Thank you very much to keep us informed :happy:

-CARLOS-

PD: a video of my nano

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

lolfail

i had the same issue with lettuce sea slugs. These slugs and the hare are definitely not for tanks with strong flow and powerful filters X_X

its unfortunate that animals have to die this way before we figure out what we did wrong...but it definitely happens from time to time.

turbo should work out nicer if you dont have any loose corals. if its possible, try taking out the infected rock and pouring peroxide on the algae (without getting any on corals). then do some water changes to make sure peroxide is out of your system, and the rest will just degrade. this helps because if done right it kills the algae and the herbivores that normally dont eat it, will eat it (heck even bristleworms or pods might eat it). another animal that has greatly helped my pico is the emerald crab. i love them. just keep them well fed via dried seaweed every other day :)

I'm a little leery about pouring chemicals on the algae. There are lots of sponges and other stuff on the rocks. Too.

I'm not sure if its the curse of posting, or a delayed reaction to the seahare dying but I lost a couple corals including a chalice frag that had been in almost since the start. I am adding THREE mexican turbo snails after a 1g water change, hopefully they can eat the algae within 24-48hrs then I'll probably put them in my frag tank which I am in the process of restarting or feed them to my octopus. I guess they could go in my display too but I'm not really fond of these guys outside of their ability to eat that red fuzzy algae that no one else touches.

I guess I should add a picture of him to this thread but I don't really know if he's still alive, but I picked up this goby a week ago, and I cannot ID him. I am thinking there is a chance he is undescribed.

3/4 of an inch

newgoby2.jpg

He ate cyclopeeze while I dripped him and I have been adding a tiny amount to the tank daily but I only saw him one other time when I took out the main rockwork to manually remove some of the hair algae.

That exact same goby was on Diver's Den yesterday. They called it Orange Band Amikami Nano Goby (Callogobius cf amikami). I think Bongo Shrimp got it. Check out his thread I think he has some pictures.

I should have got 10 turbos. I had visions of waking up to the tank clean but days later they still have a ways to go. Once the tank is hair algae free I think it will really get going again. 4 more months and it will be 2 years.

Goby is still alive. These turbos are too slow so I took out all the rock and removed some hair algae myself. Goby was under the pile. I wish he would at least come out for food, but so far he seems okay..

just dont get peroxide on any living animals you want to stay in your tank. it really helps kill algae. also the emerald crab will help too.

2 years is awesome! i'm sure you can get over this hair algae issue. its possible.

It was my own fault. Not changing the membrane fast enough...

I'm sure I can get past this. It's just frustrating. I am putting a lot more effort into my aquariums this year and hope to see solid results in the coming months..

I am sure the tank will bounce back in no time.

We would still love to see some pics even if you have an algae outbreak. Your tank was my inspiration to setup a Dymax IQ3

• 1 month later...

Due to popular demand here are a couple of new pics.

I have wiped out 99% of the algae. With the help of major major manual removal (the rockwork had to change because I couldn't get it back the way it was). More frequent water changes. High capacity GFO and rox .8 carbon. One tablespoon of carbon and half a tablespoon of GFO. And one Mexican Turbo snail.

I did have to sacrifice several corals just to ensure the algae was gone. No more SPS although I may try one or 2 more in the future. There are less corals but everything has grown nicely. I have removed a bit of GSP that was algae infested and the Cestipularia has been trimmed once.

IMGP9078.JPG

IMGP9075.JPG

IMGP9073.JPG

IMGP9072.JPG

in 2 more months the tank will be 2 years old.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been filling the tank manually lately. I think the ATO sensor just needs to be cleaned, but sometimes the aqualifter pump stops working. It's not really a big concern but I'll check everything out before my next trip. Today I overfilled slightly and filled right to the top.

Looking from the top down it looks like the gsp is going to grow right out of the tank

gsp.jpg

I should also note that none of the overlfow teeth are visible anymore and there are a few polyps starting to appear on the other side. I like the filled in look, especially since this was grown off a spec I originally glued to the wall.

I plan on adding a couple of corals within a couple of weeks. Don't really add to this tank anymore but it's got 2 months until it's been 2 years so I want it looking nice for that. More photos will follow.

Archived