Pod Your Reef

My first pico! Dymax IQ3 now 5 YEARS OLD!

andrewkw

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can use super glue (gel) by itself or epoxy :) or both together. Normally I just add some on the bottom of the coral and then stick it right into the tank before the glue dry and leave it for a sec and it will dry in place even in the water

I haven't checked this thread in a while, or nano reef for that matter good to see it's still going.

Lately I'm finding myself again more interested in reef keeping. I guess burnout is pretty common, but I've just been busy with other things that have somehow surpassed my obsession with reefkeeping. That being said this is the one tank I've had that I've pretty much always been happy with. In 2014 I plan on doing more constant water changes along with more occasional feedings. I think I can put a few more things in. I may look for another small invert maybe another crab or shrimp probably not a goby because they require too much food. About a month ago I added an Acan frag but over the last week I have added several new pieces.

The thing is even if you are neglecting your tank, you're still topping off the tank or the auto top off. Still gotta feed your fish so you still end up in the local reef shops for food ect. With this tank since it's on my desk I'm always looking at it. It might as well be worth looking at. The days of lining up at the stores before they open are probably over for me, but I do plan on being more active with my other tanks as well. My Christmas Wrasse just died before Christmas I had that guy like 7 years. In fact when my tank crashed years ago I never could get him out so he just stayed during the rebuild. Still got my so so reef and my garden eel tank.

As for the couple questions. I'd say the mangrove does okay with natural light but much better in the summer. A leave just fell off and in general it doesn't seem as nice as before. I am trying to water it more but with the short days it doesn't get much light. The corals are mostly attached with glue or glue and epoxy. Sponges don't appear to be around anymore. There is one side of the tank I can barely see. There are some zoos and even a small mini carpet there along with who knows what else. The leading cause of coral death in here is being overgrown by gsp. A few things I removed simply because there was a lot of algae. I'm hoping doing more water changes and more gfo changes (i use one tablespoon of GFO) it will keep the algae in check. Kinda strange I still got algae growth even when I stopped feeding the tank.

For some reason the purple carpet doesn't want to expand big today. I waited for hours to take the full tank shot but no luck. I even fed it along with many of the other corals. I added a new micro (the last one was overgrown by gsp) a baby Scoly, a zoo frag and an Acan "colony" along with another frag. I also removed a chunk of GSP from the bottom. I was actually going to remove the whole bottom rock but some zoos are attached to that rock so I just left it for now. I will probably update this again soon, once I figure out what's next.

13-XL.jpg

9-XL.jpg

4-XL.jpg

3-XL.jpg

2-XL.jpg

12-XL.jpg

10-XL.jpg

8-XL.jpg

These light green Acans are almost yellow! Never seen this colour before.

Keeping with the green theme that's pretty heavy in the tank

14-XL.jpg

15-XL.jpg

There is a bunch of these on the side I can't really see. Glad to see a few made it to the front

5-XL.jpg

If your fish won't eat PE mysis because they are too big then they're wimps! Even the yellow polyps go for them

7-XL.jpg

17-XL.jpg

18-X2.jpg

I will try and get a better FTS in the coming days. The Acan colony is indeed right against the front. I will try and move it back half an inch or so the next time I do a water change in a couple of days. There is also a frag disc between the colony and the GSP so once the GSP starts to overtake the disc I'll swap it out.

I don't i just let the corals grow over each other. The GSP and the purple xenia I have trimmed, but for instance those yellow polyps were originally glued one one by one, maybe 4 (i could probably go back and check) now there are a couple dozen of them. Even the grandis there are 5 now and they barely get any light anymore due to the stuff above them growing and shading them. Random zoos that are on the sides end up at the front.

I've had several different acan frags and while one or 2 may have melted most lost out to the gsp.

Speaking of the GSP I do plan on cutting it back again its growing over the front of the tank and soon I wont be able to see in. Just like the chalice growing up from the bottom now I see the whiter underside vs the fleshing pink side.

Also I've probably fed the tank once in the last 6 months so that does keep the LPS from growing much. Doesn't stop algae from growing though..

bleh, I just got a hydor ato to replace the jbl which hasn't been working for a while and the stupid sensor is too big to fit in the back chambers.

• 2 weeks later...

Day 1,303 I think there is room for just one more coral.

picojan18.jpg

Above the Duncan on the back wall beside the mini carpet. It will probably either be swallowed up when the carpet is fully expanded or overtaken eventually by the GSP but that's the only real usable space left. Above the purple xenia there is another Acan that doesn't show up well in this photo but you can see it better in the earlier ones. It almost always has tenticles out but seems to be alright in the low light.

I try and keep the acans on the bottom just off the front but they do sometimes fall. Next water change I will adjust them again I don't want to permanently glue them down since eventually the GSP will likely overgrow them anyway. I might be able to squeeze in one more tiny frag down there somewhere too.

As for the top right I will scrape that gsp off eventually. Stil have bits of algae growing in the tank can never seem to get rid of it completely despite the very infrequent feedings and near constant use of GFO. To be fair since there is no pico reactor it just passes through a little mesh bag in the power filter which also runs carbon.

I'm thinking of adding a hermit crab or 2, they may eat the algae but looking at the tank they really don't have room to walk so maybe it's not the best idea. there is a bit of open space at the back but in the front they'd always be on one coral or another. I'm still really happy with this tank, and it's the only tank I've ever run for years that I've constantly been content with.

get a white anemone porcelain crab. i bet one would be at home in this tank full of corals. you can spot feed it mysis 3 times a week.

I don't think I want something that requires 3 feedings a week. Although maybe.

I never ever test anything in this tank anymore, however I am trying to revive some old rock I let dry out so after testing the nitrates in that water I decided to test this one. Much to my surprise it's not at 0. However it's at 1. The water changed ever the slightest colour (salifert) and it's still les then the 2 when viewed from the side.

edit from the side I guess that means .1 so hardly a concern. Just surprised it's not 0.

the crab can also probably eat slime from the maxi mini nem. but i'd still suggest 3 feedings a week. i think your tank can handle it :)

How did you go about drilling the back? I dont want to mess it up haha

How did I? I just drained enough water so the spot I wanted to drill was dry and drilled. I messed up the front of the tank a bit but whatever at the time I wasn't concerned as I just bought this tank as an impulse buy at the cash register.

If you want to do it properly you are going to need a right angle drill.

Did you go straight to a 1/2" hole or did you use a pilot hole and work your way up? I tried last night with the 1/2" drill bit and it shook the crap out of the tank

Did you go straight to a 1/2" hole or did you use a pilot hole and work your way up? I tried last night with the 1/2" drill bit and it shook the crap out of the tank

Probably need a sharper bit. I used a 1/2" bit for wood. The ones that look like a fork and it just went in like butter.

I think you guys are worrying too much about the hole. I don't remember what bit I used but it wasn't that hard other then the fact I don't have a right angle drill. If you have a new tank it will be much easier then doing it while it's running. I remember I got lots of little bits of plastic into the water.

Archived