Top Shelf Aquatics

20gal Freshie to Reef Tank!

yoshii

Awwwww I wanted to see a pic of it :tears:

Yeah, I never fed it, still alive lol

Story time! Ok, well like 2 years ago (I think?) we had to drain our pool cause the plaster needed to be fixed in some spots and we we're really using it(since we got a hot tub) but then we were told we needed to keep some water in it in the deep end so the pool wouldn't "float" and crack and bad stuff. Then, we got a huge turtle(red eared slider, his shell was about 9") so we decided to put him in the pool(the water was safe) so then we put a couple goldfish in there(for food) and when summer came, we had about 200goldfish(or maybe more) So we emptied the pool and donated the fish and turtle to some pet stores. Then, a while later, we got another tank who outgrew his tank so we let him in our pool, and this got smaller goldfish (so he would eat them this time!) and now, we have a TON of goldfish again xD

Kinda cool though when an egret comes by for a snack :) But it gets alot of sun so they're algae and little things living in there for them to eat I guess.

Yeah, the month I had the "tidepool tub" was really stressful and hectic at school, so I didn't really take that good care of it :/

Same here! :lol:

Alkomist, that clam in your avatar is BEAUTIFUL! It is yours? What lighting do you have it under?

Thanks, I'm actually looking for more pics to post right now :D

lol yea she is mine:)

i have it under a 150w MH!! shes in my 45g hex tank right now! my most fave out of all the SW creatures i have!!

i wud post pix but my camera hates me!! all it does it turn on and off now!! that and pool water isnt really good for cameras!! lol

try n get more pix up!! looking good!!

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Awwwww I wanted to see a pic of it :tears:

Yeah, I never fed it, still alive lol

Story time! Ok, well like 2 years ago (I think?) we had to drain our pool cause the plaster needed to be fixed in some spots and we we're really using it(since we got a hot tub) but then we were told we needed to keep some water in it in the deep end so the pool wouldn't "float" and crack and bad stuff. Then, we got a huge turtle(red eared slider, his shell was about 9") so we decided to put him in the pool(the water was safe) so then we put a couple goldfish in there(for food) and when summer came, we had about 200goldfish(or maybe more) So we emptied the pool and donated the fish and turtle to some pet stores. Then, a while later, we got another tank who outgrew his tank so we let him in our pool, and this got smaller goldfish (so he would eat them this time!) and now, we have a TON of goldfish again xD

Kinda cool though when an egret comes by for a snack :) But it gets alot of sun so they're algae and little things living in there for them to eat I guess.

Yeah, the month I had the "tidepool tub" was really stressful and hectic at school, so I didn't really take that good care of it :/

Same here! :lol:

Alkomist, that clam in your avatar is BEAUTIFUL! It is yours? What lighting do you have it under?

Thanks, I'm actually looking for more pics to post right now :D

I may upload some pics before I take it down ;)

That is pretty weird, you would think it would have died :lol:

So basically you don't have a pool anymore lol? That is probably the best thing you could do with it, besides being a regular pool :P So turtles are supposed to eat the goldfish?? That is weird that two of yours didn't. You should post some pics of the pool!

Cool, this thread needs more pics haha. Also clams = awesome!

I may upload some pics before I take it down ;)

That is pretty weird, you would think it would have died :lol:

So basically you don't have a pool anymore lol? That is probably the best thing you could do with it, besides being a regular pool :P So turtles are supposed to eat the goldfish?? That is weird that two of yours didn't. You should post some pics of the pool!

Cool, this thread needs more pics haha. Also clams = awesome!

Pweese? -puppy dog eyes-

I know 0.o

haha yeah, well we don't use it in the winter and it's really expensive to heat and filter it when we're not even going to use it, so why not? :D Ohh gosh no. It just had a HUGE algae bloom and the water looks soo gross. yuck!

Yeah, I have to try and re-do the photobucket upload, it didn't work -_-

lol yea she is mine:)

i have it under a 150w MH!! shes in my 45g hex tank right now! my most fave out of all the SW creatures i have!!

i wud post pix but my camera hates me!! all it does it turn on and off now!! that and pool water isnt really good for cameras!! lol

try n get more pix up!! looking good!!

What kind of clam is it? I can't tell from your avatar

You dropped your camera in your pool? D:

Pweese? -puppy dog eyes-

I know 0.o

haha yeah, well we don't use it in the winter and it's really expensive to heat and filter it when we're not even going to use it, so why not? :D Ohh gosh no. It just had a HUGE algae bloom and the water looks soo gross. yuck!

Yeah, I have to try and re-do the photobucket upload, it didn't work -_-

What kind of clam is it? I can't tell from your avatar

You dropped your camera in your pool? D:

Ha we will see ;)

Word.

Just take a pic haha. Or at least a pic of the turtle, I like turtles :P

Ahh bummer. I hate it when that happens.

That is a maxima I believe :D

Ha we will see ;)

Word.

Just take a pic haha. Or at least a pic of the turtle, I like turtles :P

Ahh bummer. I hate it when that happens.

That is a maxima I believe :D

I would pay someone to take a pic of my turtle. He's REALLY shy :( And fast lol

But, when I get to my dad's house I'll try and get a pic of some fish in the pool ok :D

(I'm trying to upload again right now)

Ahh bummer. Where can he go though, he is pretty much stuck in the pool haha!

Cool cool, hopefully it works this time :)

Well, I got 6 images uploaded, I'm trying to do a few at a time, seems to work better

Ok, I know this isn't related to my 20gal, but my dad just called me after hooking up the new ballast and its supposed to do 2 VHO bulbs, but one side is like defective? ugh. anyways, thats why there is a delay for the pics, I'll get the rest uploaded in a sec! :D

Well, I got 6 images uploaded, I'm trying to do a few at a time, seems to work better

Ok, I know this isn't related to my 20gal, but my dad just called me after hooking up the new ballast and its supposed to do 2 VHO bulbs, but one side is like defective? ugh. anyways, thats why there is a delay for the pics, I'll get the rest uploaded in a sec! :D

Yea whenever I do a ton it takes forever, then usually fails lol.

Ahh that sucks. Then again it is an excuse to get a halide or T5 ;) Alright, we will be waiting for the pics :ninja:

hahaha, if I had the money, I would!

ANYWAYS PICTURE TIME! :D

SiliconeSealentDrying.png

SiliconeSealentDrying2.png

This is when the new silicone was drying. I took out all the old silicone because I had used a medication when it was FW and it turned the color to an out of place blue.

PVCSupport2.png

PVCSupport.png

Then, on 6/11/10 I filled it with water, and cut some PVC and eggcrate to be lift the LR off the bottom of the tank.

Rockwosand.jpg

RockTopView.png

Then, I started to puts the rocks in, (preplanned aquascape btw, although in this pics, the tonga branch have not been added)

SandStorm.png

Then added the sand..

SandStormClearing.png

Here it is a few days later, starting to clear

FilterPaperTowel.png

here is my awesome "go away sand cloudiness! filter" XD I just put some folded up paper towels in there, which actually got alot of stuff!

Day3.jpg

This is the cleared up tank with tonga branch pieces.

RedMushroomAccli.png

This is a pretty old pic of when I first got my red mushroom(as you can see, its still in the bag) This will probably go in this tank :)

ChaetoBag.png

On one side of the filter, I will make into a fuge, with a clip-on light and some chaeto. Maybe some rubble too.

ArticPods.png

I LOVE THIS STUFF! My fish and corals go insane for this! It is totally worth the price and actually, I really dont think I'll be able to use all of it before it expires! I feed my 55gal like 1-2 drops of this a day, its alot!

About time you posted pics :P!

Nice shots, the tank looks pretty good, I like the rockscape.

Arcti Pods eh? I have never used it before lol.

About time you posted pics :P!

Nice shots, the tank looks pretty good, I like the rockscape.

Arcti Pods eh? I have never used it before lol.

Haha sorry! :P

You have noooo idea how many hours I spent on the floor, rearranging rocks. I still don't like 2 of the rock in the back, one is on the back glass too :(

Yeah, well my dad pays for food, so I figured I might as well try it! My butterfly(bannerfish) LOVES it, and I'm glad I got it too cause my yellow clown goby is pretty small and can't eat many foods, but these are the pretty size for him :)

Ugh. I still have one big problem though. I have no idea how I'm going to prove to Petsmart that there was only 20lbs of sand in a bag that was (relabeled) 30lbs. I just want them to give me 10lbs of sand that I'm missing, doesn't have to be the same size even. :( But I bought it dry, and its wet now, I can't just take it out and take it to the store, it won't weigh the same.

Oh, also, you can't really tell from the pics, but on the left side of the rocks, two main rocks form a nice overhang type thing and on the right side, there is a nice big cave :D

Haha sorry! :P

You have noooo idea how many hours I spent on the floor, rearranging rocks. I still don't like 2 of the rock in the back, one is on the back glass too :(

Yeah, well my dad pays for food, so I figured I might as well try it! My butterfly(bannerfish) LOVES it, and I'm glad I got it too cause my yellow clown goby is pretty small and can't eat many foods, but these are the pretty size for him :)

Ugh. I still have one big problem though. I have no idea how I'm going to prove to Petsmart that there was only 20lbs of sand in a bag that was (relabeled) 30lbs. I just want them to give me 10lbs of sand that I'm missing, doesn't have to be the same size even. :( But I bought it dry, and its wet now, I can't just take it out and take it to the store, it won't weigh the same.

I know exactly how you feel! My 24g has been completely re-done 4 times, all new rock, everything. Then once I got my current rock I messed with it a ton before I was actually happy with it haha.

Bannerfish are neat fish! And yea I have always wondered how people fed those little clown gobies, they are tiny!

Ahh that is a problem. Hmmmmm, I dunno what I would do :(

I know exactly how you feel! My 24g has been completely re-done 4 times, all new rock, everything. Then once I got my current rock I messed with it a ton before I was actually happy with it haha.

Bannerfish are neat fish! And yea I have always wondered how people fed those little clown gobies, they are tiny!

Ahh that is a problem. Hmmmmm, I dunno what I would do :(

I lost track of how many times I've redone my 55gal..:lol:

Schooling Bannerfish are my absolute favorite fish :wub:

Well, they do get bigger, I think they are full grown at 1.5" or something around there. I've been to Monterey Bay Aquarium a few times, one of their reef tanks has a clown goby that is pretty big actually, has a big mouth too!

Now I want to go there again xD You would like it there! Most of their tanks are temperate, local, from the Monterey Bay! Unfortunately, it's like 90miles for me to drive there, and even further for you! hahaha

Yeah, well, I'll try to work something out. If they won't give me 10lbs of sand, I guess I'll have to buy some myself -_- Oh well

I lost track of how many times I've redone my 55gal..:lol:

Schooling Bannerfish are my absolute favorite fish :wub:

Well, they do get bigger, I think they are full grown at 1.5" or something around there. I've been to Monterey Bay Aquarium a few times, one of their reef tanks has a clown goby that is pretty big actually, has a big mouth too!

Now I want to go there again xD You would like it there! Most of their tanks are temperate, local, from the Monterey Bay! Unfortunately, it's like 90miles for me to drive there, and even further for you! hahaha

Yeah, well, I'll try to work something out. If they won't give me 10lbs of sand, I guess I'll have to buy some myself -_- Oh well

I thought I was the only one who constantly changed their tank lol

They are pretty cool, that is for sure. True, but that isn't thaaaaat big, plus compared to a bannerfish they are nothing in size :lol: !

I do want to go there, my mom grew up there and always tells me we should go. I hopefully will soon :)! Yea bit more than that for me ;)

Ahh thats a bummer. Well hopefully they give you the sand!

I thought I was the only one who constantly changed their tank lol

They are pretty cool, that is for sure. True, but that isn't thaaaaat big, plus compared to a bannerfish they are nothing in size :lol: !

I do want to go there, my mom grew up there and always tells me we should go. I hopefully will soon :)! Yea bit more than that for me ;)

Ahh thats a bummer. Well hopefully they give you the sand!

well, I had just set up a new aquascape for my 55gal, with two islands, one bigger than the other, but soon after I had to take it out to catch my royal gramma, who was being mean to my bannerfish and forced my clowns to stay in one corner of the tank :angry: So then I tried putting it back, but of course that never works, here's a pic of it before catching the royal gramma. (Ignore the equipment, I was too lazy to fix it before I took this pic)

DSC01575.png

Well, my bannerfish is only 2" now (not counting the dorsal fin/streamer) and my goby is maybe about 1" but the bannerfish already looks so much bigger than my little Sunshine(my goby's name, dont laugh!)

Yeah, the aquarium is really cool! The kelp forest is awesome!

well, I had just set up a new aquascape for my 55gal, with two islands, one bigger than the other, but soon after I had to take it out to catch my royal gramma, who was being mean to my bannerfish and forced my clowns to stay in one corner of the tank :angry: So then I tried putting it back, but of course that never works, here's a pic of it before catching the royal gramma. (Ignore the equipment, I was too lazy to fix it before I took this pic)

DSC01575.png

Well, my bannerfish is only 2" now (not counting the dorsal fin/streamer) and my goby is maybe about 1" but the bannerfish already looks so much bigger than my little Sunshine(my goby's name, dont laugh!)

Yeah, the aquarium is really cool! The kelp forest is awesome!

Nice! Yea royal grammas are evil! I didn't think something so small could be so mean, then again so are damsels haha. Does that tank have a sump? You should put all the equipment there.

Haha little Sunshine......:P

That is what I hear! That sounds neat, I need to go there.

Nice! Yea royal grammas are evil! I didn't think something so small could be so mean, then again so are damsels haha. Does that tank have a sump? You should put all the equipment there.

Haha little Sunshine......:P

That is what I hear! That sounds neat, I need to go there.

Well he was the first in the tank, so he claimed ALL the rockwork. He's in my 10gal frag tank right now, in time out lol I'll put him back in when the clowns & butterfly have established territories. Although my butterfly never goes in the rock work, just hangs out in the front, which is kinda nice:)

hehe..I have a 30gal glass tank sitting in the shed in my backyard, but I haven't made it into a sump. One big problem with me having a sump is that 1) there is NO room in the stand, not even for a 10gal so I'd have to put it on the ground next the the tank(ugly!) and 2) at my dad's house, we have power outages like 7-8 times a year, and I'm worried about the overflow and pumps and flooding and stuff :( And, I can't afford it right now xD

Well, its bright yellow and sooo cute! Plus, that was the name of my aunts yellow lab, which I loved when I was little.

You do! They have like everything CW! And tropical too!

Well he was the first in the tank, so he claimed ALL the rockwork. He's in my 10gal frag tank right now, in time out lol I'll put him back in when the clowns & butterfly have established territories. Although my butterfly never goes in the rock work, just hangs out in the front, which is kinda nice:)

hehe..I have a 30gal glass tank sitting in the shed in my backyard, but I haven't made it into a sump. One big problem with me having a sump is that 1) there is NO room in the stand, not even for a 10gal so I'd have to put it on the ground next the the tank(ugly!) and 2) at my dad's house, we have power outages like 7-8 times a year, and I'm worried about the overflow and pumps and flooding and stuff :( And, I can't afford it right now xD

Well, its bright yellow and sooo cute! Plus, that was the name of my aunts yellow lab, which I loved when I was little.

You do! They have like everything CW! And tropical too!

Oooooh. They are funny when they do the open mouth to scare other fish thing lol. Yea bannerfish really seem to like swimming around and being in the open, which is good because they are nice looking fish.

I have that same problem. I would love to have a sump, it would be handy, but my 24g would be hard to drill haha. You should try to set up a sump for one of your tanks though, I guess they are really handy :lol:

Lol..."cute"...:P Oh thats cool B)

Yea anything CW is interesting, tropical is awesome too. I want to go back to an aquarium now :(

Oooooh. They are funny when they do the open mouth to scare other fish thing lol. Yea bannerfish really seem to like swimming around and being in the open, which is good because they are nice looking fish.

I have that same problem. I would love to have a sump, it would be handy, but my 24g would be hard to drill haha. You should try to set up a sump for one of your tanks though, I guess they are really handy :lol:

Lol..."cute"...:P Oh thats cool B)

Yea anything CW is interesting, tropical is awesome too. I want to go back to an aquarium now :(

Haha I know! Their mouth is bigger than it looks! My bannerfish will follow me lol xD

Isn't your 24 one of those AIO setups? I'd like to have one of those later in life, no sump or flooding or plumbing to deal with! Yeah, I really should, especially since it's going to be a reef tank :/

Are you laughing at me? >:| they ARE cute!

Lol, go look at your own tanks! :P

ugh, now I want to look at mine too! But I can't -_-

Haha I know! Their mouth is bigger than it looks! My bannerfish will follow me lol xD

Isn't your 24 one of those AIO setups? I'd like to have one of those later in life, no sump or flooding or plumbing to deal with! Yeah, I really should, especially since it's going to be a reef tank :/

Are you laughing at me? >:| they ARE cute!

Lol, go look at your own tanks! :P

ugh, now I want to look at mine too! But I can't -_-

I can't say, I have never had one :D Nice! I think they are cool, also their name "poor mans moorish idol" is cool.

Yuuuup. I like it, they are pretty nice. The thing is you are kind of restricted to what its options are. I have upgraded lots of stuff on mine :lol: Yea if you find a way to fit one, if not, use a HOB filter as a fuge ;)

Haha neverrrrrr, where did you get that idea :P?

Ha I can, but it just makes me want to buy more stuff, and my money should be saved right now lol.

Ahh thats a bummer, good thing you have pics of them ;)

hey yoshii didnt know you were on here as well

Hey! Yeah, I just joined yesterday lol :P

Nice to see you on here as well!

I can't say, I have never had one :D Nice! I think they are cool, also their name "poor mans moorish idol" is cool.

Yuuuup. I like it, they are pretty nice. The thing is you are kind of restricted to what its options are. I have upgraded lots of stuff on mine :lol: Yea if you find a way to fit one, if not, use a HOB filter as a fuge ;)

Haha neverrrrrr, where did you get that idea :P?

Ha I can, but it just makes me want to buy more stuff, and my money should be saved right now lol.

Ahh thats a bummer, good thing you have pics of them ;)

Lol fits my budget xD Although, say if both fish were easy to keep and the same price, I'd still go with the bannerfish :)

Yeah, I was thinking about an AC, but IDK if it would fit behind my tank :/

I know, I love just watching my tanks though xD

Archived