SaltCritters.com

20gal Freshie to Reef Tank!

yoshii

So are B&W misbars cheaper than regular B&W clowns? Today at work, I was talking with the LFS's owner's wife and another guy who owns the other part of the store, we were talking about the B&W clown in the display tank, and how hard is it to find them for sale. The other guy said he got a pair of misbars for $25 :o

I like the misbars and regular clowns equally, and have always wanted a pair (or either) but always thought it was too expensive?

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Well, I got to the guy's house (who has the clown) and we found that (must have been this morning) the clown had jumped into the back compartment filter :o

Poor thing :(

so u got it but it died???:(

LAME!!!!! sorry to here that!!!

u gona try gettin any more of em?

DEFINITELY following this thread! hehe. <_<

so u got it but it died???:(

LAME!!!!! sorry to here that!!!

u gona try gettin any more of em?

Noo, when I got there we found it had killed itself :(

why does this thread have so many posts?

oh.

HAHAHA i saw that "oh" there and literally laughed out loud. hehe

:o :o :o I might get a free sump tomorrow! There's a guy on craigslist who wants to get rid of his sump asap, but idk if I can convince my mom to take me D:

So, I'm thinking if I somehow get it, maybe I should put it on this tank!

if u lived closer to me then i wud be more than happy to give you a ride their but........yea lol get ur license!!!!!! hehehe

i have a 30g sump syphon ovflow and a pump im looking to sell.....

:o :o :o I might get a free sump tomorrow! There's a guy on craigslist who wants to get rid of his sump asap, but idk if I can convince my mom to take me D:

So, I'm thinking if I somehow get it, maybe I should put it on this tank!

Be careful with getting free stuff.

When it comes to a sump, you want a strong, sturdy sump. the last thing one needs, is a sump that may potentially break, or an already broken one.

What i'm trying to say is, and i can't stress this enough, LEAK TEST! and then do it again.

Also make sure you get the history of the sump if you end up getting it. For instance, ask if its ever been exposed to copper or anything else of that sort.

Anyway best of luck :)

if u lived closer to me then i wud be more than happy to give you a ride their but........yea lol get ur license!!!!!! hehehe

i have a 30g sump syphon ovflow and a pump im looking to sell.....

My mom thinks I shouldn't even think about getting my licence until I'm 20, because that's when she got her licence <_<

Ooooh really? I'm interested :)

Be careful with getting free stuff.

When it comes to a sump, you want a strong, sturdy sump. the last thing one needs, is a sump that may potentially break, or an already broken one.

What i'm trying to say is, and i can't stress this enough, LEAK TEST! and then do it again.

Also make sure you get the history of the sump if you end up getting it. For instance, ask if its ever been exposed to copper or anything else of that sort.

Anyway best of luck :)

Yeah, I've emailed the guy trying to get more info, but so far he has just asked when I can pick it up :/

If there are any leaks, I'm sure I can fix them (well, more like get my dad to fix it for me) and if I can't make it work, then its no big loss

Thanks!

My mom thinks I shouldn't even think about getting my licence until I'm 20, because that's when she got her licence <_<

Ooooh really? I'm interested :)

lol wow!!! ur mom lagged it then!! lol

i dont know any teen that doesnt want their license as soon as possible!! lol all ur mom has to do is sign a paper and all u gotta do is pass the tests and BAMMO!! lol

but yea sump and stuff is 85$ with everything if ur interested:)

hows ur tank commin along?

lol wow!!! ur mom lagged it then!! lol

i dont know any teen that doesnt want their license as soon as possible!! lol all ur mom has to do is sign a paper and all u gotta do is pass the tests and BAMMO!! lol

but yea sump and stuff is 85$ with everything if ur interested:)

hows ur tank commin along?

Hahaha I do want to get my licence! And I think my dad wants me to get my licence more than I do..:lol:

Hopefully my dad can find a way to let me drive :D Plus, he insurance covers me(and my triplet sister and brother, who also want to drive) but she really doesn't want me to drive <_<

How big is it? And is is glass or acrylic?

Although, I have -$7 right now so I wouldn't be able to buy it atm :P

@ Alkomist :haha:

Yeah, I've emailed the guy trying to get more info, but so far he has just asked when I can pick it up :/

If there are any leaks, I'm sure I can fix them (well, more like get my dad to fix it for me) and if I can't make it work, then its no big loss

Thanks!

Yeah either way haha :)

to be honest with you though, if you want a sump, all you really need is another aquarium, and a filter sock to catch microbubbles from the drain, and a return pump.

It's the best way to hide equipment such as a heater, skimmer etc. It also keeps the water level in the main display tank at a constant level. :) (as well as increase water volume of the overall system)... tho you probably already know this hehe.

If you get a sump, were you going to drill your aquarium?

Hahaha I do want to get my licence! And I think my dad wants me to get my licence more than I do..:lol:

Hopefully my dad can find a way to let me drive :D Plus, he insurance covers me(and my triplet sister and brother, who also want to drive) but she really doesn't want me to drive <_<

How big is it? And is is glass or acrylic?

Although, I have -$7 right now so I wouldn't be able to buy it atm :P

u have a triplet sister? wow thats kool!! does she look like you?

hmm the sump is acrylic 30gs idk the Exact dimensions on it ill get em tonight after work

it has no chambers! i used it as a fuge:)

lol 7$ is good for some subway or somthin..Mmm Chicken Bacon Ranch! heheh

any updtaes on ur tank?

Yeah either way haha :)

to be honest with you though, if you want a sump, all you really need is another aquarium, and a filter sock to catch microbubbles from the drain, and a return pump.

It's the best way to hide equipment such as a heater, skimmer etc. It also keeps the water level in the main display tank at a constant level. :) (as well as increase water volume of the overall system)... tho you probably already know this hehe.

If you get a sump, were you going to drill your aquarium?

Yeah, I was thinking about that, and putting a fuge in the middle. I have a 30gal glass one just sitting in my shed, but it's really tall :/ I thought about making it in a sump for my 55gal and putting it right next to the tank, but it would look really ugly and it would just be sitting on the floor, and the plumbing would be harder :(

But the main two things preventing me from getting a sump is that I get power outages a lot(like 7-8 times a year) :( and I'm worried about my tank/sump overflowing. I know you can do stuff so if doesn't overflow, but I guess I got kinda lazy and didn't look into that too much :P

And, I don't have the money for an overflow ($60-70), glass baffles($idk), a return pump ($50?) and other plumping supplies :(

More recently I've been thinking about what to do with it, either make it into a sump(idk were I would put it though..) or put it into the living room on a stand that fits it perfectly and start up a temperate tank again :P

Nah, I'd have to drain the whole thing and empty it.

u have a triplet sister? wow thats kool!! does she look like you?

hmm the sump is acrylic 30gs idk the Exact dimensions on it ill get em tonight after work

it has no chambers! i used it as a fuge:)

lol 7$ is good for some subway or somthin..Mmm Chicken Bacon Ranch! heheh

any updtaes on ur tank?

Haha I have a brother too :)

Umm, when we were little my mom gave us the same haircut and clothes and stuff so people got us mixed up a lot, but I think we look pretty different :P Some people say we look alike, others say we don't, I guess it depends lol

Hahaha, that's negative $7 actually, I still owe my dad for some aquariums supplies.

Well, I added a LR from my 55gal lol. Not much, I've been bugging my dad to take me to petsmart/petco/whatever to get more sand, but he always seems to be busy or too tired to go :(

you can drill the aquarium, while its full if you are careful. I have done it before. it takes 2 people though. empty the aquarium below where you are going to drill. One person needs to stand next to the person drilling, and constantly spray water on the area thats being drilled. drill the hole. will take a while. once you are done, use a net to capture all the glass dust that is inside the aquarium. (it should float on the surface of the water, or be captured by a mechanical filter at a later time. its just tiny tiny glass shards, so it wont poison your tank.

drilling the aquarium means, after a power outage, you will never have to worry about the top tank overflowing, from a broken siphon, or whatever methods are used besides drilling.

Secondly, the way a sump is designed, should be that it should be able to hold water AFTER a poweroutage, without overflowing. when the sump is actually running, it should only be about 2/3ish full of water... if the baffles are done correctly.

as far as money:

borrow a glass drilling bit from a local hobbyist, or ask an LFS.

Bulkhead is like 5 bucks. tubing / pvc very cheap as well.

return pump is the REAL kicker. look around locally for a used one. :)

return pump plumbing is simple. vinyl tubing, and a j-tube with locline at the end. cost me like 10 bucks at the lfs.

i don't recommend buying an expensive hang on the back overflow. they can sometimes be loud, and unreliable. Although i've used one in the past, they are bulky, and the weight of them can stress the pane of glass they are resting on. they also are notorious for failing at the worst of times.

Well, I added a LR from my 55gal lol. Not much, I've been bugging my dad to take me to petsmart/petco/whatever to get more sand, but he always seems to be busy or too tired to go :(

brings back memories. Even used to have a 55gallon reef back when i was 16... and also had my dad drive me to the LFS haha. WOW! :):) yeah... now I feel old, and no 20 year old should ever feel that way :(

anyway good luck with it all :) Pictures! haha

you can drill the aquarium, while its full if you are careful. I have done it before. it takes 2 people though. empty the aquarium below where you are going to drill. One person needs to stand next to the person drilling, and constantly spray water on the area thats being drilled. drill the hole. will take a while. once you are done, use a net to capture all the glass dust that is inside the aquarium. (it should float on the surface of the water, or be captured by a mechanical filter at a later time. its just tiny tiny glass shards, so it wont poison your tank.

drilling the aquarium means, after a power outage, you will never have to worry about the top tank overflowing, from a broken siphon, or whatever methods are used besides drilling.

Secondly, the way a sump is designed, should be that it should be able to hold water AFTER a poweroutage, without overflowing. when the sump is actually running, it should only be about 2/3ish full of water... if the baffles are done correctly.

as far as money:

borrow a glass drilling bit from a local hobbyist, or ask an LFS.

Bulkhead is like 5 bucks. tubing / pvc very cheap as well.

return pump is the REAL kicker. look around locally for a used one. :)

return pump plumbing is simple. vinyl tubing, and a j-tube with locline at the end. cost me like 10 bucks at the lfs.

i don't recommend buying an expensive hang on the back overflow. they can sometimes be loud, and unreliable. Although i've used one in the past, they are bulky, and the weight of them can stress the pane of glass they are resting on. they also are notorious for failing at the worst of times.

brings back memories. Even used to have a 55gallon reef back when i was 16... and also had my dad drive me to the LFS haha. WOW! :):) yeah... now I feel old, and no 20 year old should ever feel that way :(

anyway good luck with it all :) Pictures! haha

I thought about doing something like that, but there's not enough space behind the aquarium (both my 20&55gal) for drilling and stuff :(

Yeah, I know it can't be filled up all the way, but I'm worried about the return pump turning on and the siphon not working (equals overflowing display) Or if the incoming flow and the outgoing flow aren't the same, wouldn't that lead to overflowing eventually?

Hahaha 20 is not old! :D

Thanks for all the info :)

I thought about doing something like that, but there's not enough space behind the aquarium (both my 20&55gal) for drilling and stuff :(

Yeah, I know it can't be filled up all the way, but I'm worried about the return pump turning on and the siphon not working (equals overflowing display) Or if the incoming flow and the outgoing flow aren't the same, wouldn't that lead to overflowing eventually?

Thanks for all the info :)

Its very hard to explain, but the way an overflow works is... it only siphons as much as the return pump puts into the DT. (if the tank is drilled)

a HOB is a bit more complicated to understand. your best bet is to watch a youtube video on how they work :)

Hahaha 20 is not old! :D

Thanks haha :)

Its very hard to explain, but the way an overflow works is... it only siphons as much as the return pump puts into the DT. (if the tank is drilled)

a HOB is a bit more complicated to understand. your best bet is to watch a youtube video on how they work :)

Thanks haha :)

Lol, that makes sense, I just always thought of it in terms of what the overflow is rated(gph) in comparison in the return pump.

Now I really want to buy that 50gal drilled tank at my LFS :( its only $60..

Lol, that makes sense, I just always thought of it in terms of what the overflow is rated(gph) in comparison in the return pump.

Now I really want to buy that 50gal drilled tank at my LFS :( its only $60..

DO IT!!!! you wont regret it :)

anyway, you want the return pump to be rated slightly lower than the drain.

oh and:

20GalBeforePic.png

I like the monster in the bottom corner :) hehehe

-Maybe Acans? (sooo expensive !)

And I definitely recommend acans. they are one of the most spectacular corals out there

DO IT!!!! you wont regret it :)

anyway, you want the return pump to be rated slightly lower than the drain.

oh and:

I like the monster in the bottom corner :) hehehe

And I definitely recommend acans. they are one of the most spectacular corals out there

I dont have the money though :tears:

Thanks, I couldn't remember if it was that way or the other way around :)

Hahaha I like him too, he's squishy and bounces lol

I :wub: ACANS! They are so awesome, but my LFS doesn't get them in on small frags :( And i'm pretty picky about my acans haha

Archived