SaltCritters.com

New to plumbing and drilling

DimePieceReef

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GE II silicone is not reef safe cause it does have the anti mold chemical. You want to get GE I silicone because it doesn't have the added chemicals like GE II.

DimePieceReef

Thanks for all the replies peeps! Ill def take the 90's off the return. Do you think I can just take the threaded adapter that's connected to the vinal tubing and just thread it rite on the return pump? I would have to take off the threaded 1' to 1/2 inch piece off the return to do so. Ill also try to see if I can put a T at the end of the drain with a durso. Man this blows because I had it just rite with the water distribution. O well back to the drawing board.

O.. I also orderd some black silicone off of big als to make sure it was reef safe. Im still debating wheather to paint the back blue or black. I think Im leaning toward blue so therefore I would paint the overflow box blue as well. Thanks again peeps!

Meengineer0128
Thanks for all the replies peeps! Ill def take the 90's off the return. Do you think I can just take the threaded adapter that's connected to the vinal tubing and just thread it rite on the return pump? I would have to take off the threaded 1' to 1/2 inch piece off the return to do so. Ill also try to see if I can put a T at the end of the drain with a durso. Man this blows because I had it just rite with the water distribution. O well back to the drawing board.

O.. I also orderd some black silicone off of big als to make sure it was reef safe. Im still debating wheather to paint the back blue or black. I think Im leaning toward blue so therefore I would paint the overflow box blue as well. Thanks again peeps!

Come straight off the pump with a threaded x plain end 1/2"x3"LG piece of pipe. Then reduce up to 1". Also, you need either a check valve or ball valve on your return. When you shut off your pump for maint., water will siphon back thru your pump which is also mucho bad for it and it will drain your tank back to you sump making siphoning from the display a lot harder.

DimePieceReef

Thanks again for everything peeps..but I have another conudrum. Im going to sound like an idiot again but I think Ive been planning my sump and system with the tank stand upside down! The previous owner had said it doesnt have a bottom and had a 29 gallon running how the stand is in the pics above...but I had turned the stand over after doing another water test and it just looked rite that way. Plus I couldnt see the wood color line like you can see in the pic at the base of the stand.When it's flipped the opposite way of the pic I have a bottom shelf to put my sump/fuge on...rather the sump/fuge laying directly on the floor. I can take some more pics if necc. I hope you guys can help again.

ps. I painted the back of the tank and overflow glass blue and will be siliconing it in shortly. I also changed both the return and drain to what you guys suggested. Pics to come.

DimePieceReef

Ok more progress has been made. Here's the pics..and then of course some questions to follow.

Glass Overflow Box ( Top Inside view)

DSCN3684.jpg

Glass Overflow (underneath view)

DSCN3685.jpg

Full Tank Shot ( silicone is still drying.. reason being why it's laying on it's side)

DSCN3687.jpg

Modified return plumbing

DSCN3688.jpg

Modified drain plumbing

DSCN3689.jpg

Does this look like the correct way the tank stand should stand?

DSCN3690.jpg

Ok one of my questions was already asked above reguarding the tank stand so thats 1.

2. As you can see I glued all the seems in the inside of the overflow...but on the outside I only glued underneath the box where the bottom piece meets with the back and side walls of the tank. Is this ok? Or should I glue the other two side panels to the back and side walls as well? Or should I just glue every seem. I was hoping to glue as least as possible on the outside for a cleaner look.

3. Do the return and drain plumbing look good to go? I may have to shorten them depending on weather or not I flip the stand or not...but the design will stay the same(I hope fingerscrossed.)

4. Should I place a piece of sponge in the durso parts of the drain?

I know...I know Im a PITA...but I just want to make sure I got my reef peeps input b4 proceeding. Thanks again in advance!

with the silicone ideally there is silicone between the two pieces of glass. but if you cant do that with out taking it apart would let it go. cant see much of a difference with on it the inside vs the outside really.

my rule of thumb is do what ever it takes to be able to sleep with out worrying about the tank.

plumbing looks good.

if its the durso on the main tank for the back up i would leave it. that way it will be as loud as posably to let you know theres some thing up.

Nice job on the drilling Noah I might have you do my 8 gallon in the future.

Love the dawkins in the sump wished the birds never traded him.

DimePieceReef
Nice job on the drilling Noah I might have you do my 8 gallon in the future.

Love the dawkins in the sump wished the birds never traded him.

Thanks a lot dude...yea just let me know about your 8gal....and yes I miss my man B Dawk too. He was truley the heart and soul of the team and there will never be another B Dawk thats for sure.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
DimePieceReef
hey dimepeice did you ever start a tank thread for this tank.

Sorry it took so long to reply. Here's a link to my tank thread. Also I wanted to thank everyone for all your great help! I could have never done this without you peeps and I appreciate all your words of wisdom. Thanks again! :D

Archived