SaltCritters.com

DPR's 20 Long

DimePieceReef

DimePieceReef

Current FTS

Feb11004.jpg

Hello reef peeps! I just wanted to share my nano reef with everyone. I have had my 20L up and running since 8/16/10. I originally had a 10 gallon hence the name of Dime Piece Reef which doesnt really make sense anymore lol...but anyway I transfered everything from my 10 to 20L. It took some time to get everything ready...but Im glad I took my time now that everything is up and running. I have my reef drilled into a 10 gallon sump as well...which is something that I had trouble with as I cracked the first tank I drilled...DOH! Well I dont want to bore all of you with the mumba jumba. Below I have a little video which will explain more. Also I listed my specs and a link to my build thread which has some great info. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Build Thread

20L Marineland Drilled w/DIY Overflow

24'' Odyssea 4x24 T5HO currenlty running 2 ATI Blue plus, 1 Purple plus and 1 Aqua Blue Special

2 Koralia Nano's

50W Shatterproof Marineland Heater (in sump)

50w Top fin heater in display

HOB Pengin Bio-Wheel 200 w/o wheel ( insump)

Coralife Digital Therm

20ish lbs Totaka LR from Figi

20 lbs LS

API Saltwater Test kit

Coralife Hydrometer

Oceanic Salt

Aquaticlife Mini 115 Nano Skimmer

Via Aqua Poly Phosphate Reactor

10 gal sump

2200 Quiet One Pump

ATO from autotopoff.com

Livestock:

2 False Percs (clownfish)

1 Atlantic Pigmy Angel

1 Cleaner Shrimp (RIP)

4 Scarlet Hermits

1 Sexy Shrimp(added 1/24)

1 Blue Legged Hermit

7-8 Cerith Snails

3 Nerite Snails

Chaeto

Torch Coral

Frogspawn

Several Palys and Zoas

Unknown Clove

Florida Riccordea

Unknown Xena

Yellow Polyps

Duncans (added 1/24)

Monti Cap (NEW)

Green SLimer Acro (New)

BLue Digi Acro (New)

Various Shrooms

I enjoyed your videos. I hope you get your frags to bounce back. I just added my first frag a while ago, a small zoanthid which perks up but I think I have a Hermit that keeps disturbing it. I need to move it off the bottom. I went with a JBJ 28 Nanocube, but I wish i had done a drilled setup like you did. I'm going to get that going soon. I'll keep watching.

Good Luck,

Gobby

Ahh...I just watched the last video and I see things started to perk up a bit. I had a really bad GHA outbreak with my tank and I thought it would never go away. Looks like your keeping yours mowed down. I stepped up my CUC and used a plastic hose to pinch it as I siphoned the tank once a week. Keeps it from floating around after you pull it. Worked for me. Your Skrimp :D ...cracks me up when he eats from your fingers. I might have to get one.

Gobby

DimePieceReef

Thanks Gobby! Yeah I no longer have the ten gallon so GHA is no longer an issue. When I made the transfer I scrubbed down all the rocks before I place them in the 20L. It seems as if my coral is coming around now. I think I had my salinity too low. A local reefer told me my deep six hydrometer was off a few ticks and I took his word for it and gradually dropped the SG...Now Ive since raised it and dropped my temp from 80 to 78 and my coral seems to be getting some growth again...except my GSP. That still wont open up. Good luck if you decide to drill... just make sure you let the drill do all the work. I cracked the first tank I drilled and I only had slight pressure on the drill.

Your welcome. I don't have anything I want to drill as of yet. I may get around to a 29 gallon with a 20 long for a sump if I find a spot I can sit it in. I like how some people drill right through the bottom of the tanks to keep all the plumbing hidden, instead of running it all down the back.

Gobby

• 2 months later...
DimePieceReef

Few random pics

Torch

December10-January11090.jpg

Rics

December10-January11089.jpg

Canary Blenny (RIP.. he only lasted two weeks..i thought he ate enough so Im not sure why he didnt make it)

Sept2010373.jpg

Adam, Eve and Fancy (all named by wife and children)

012.jpg

DimePieceReef
Nice tank. I like the scape and ric garden!

Thanks a lot Dasani! I actually just rescaped because I recenlty just had to do a 100% WC because my god daughter decided she wanted to feed the fishies the whole canister of fish food! :scarry: It was a scary moment but everything survived thank god! To be quite honest though a lot of my corals have resoponded well from the 100% WC especially my torch and frogspawn...Im thinking I should do large WC every month or so from here on out.

DimePieceReef

My new Duncans!!!! Pic is less than 24 hrs after tank placement.

Jan2011002.jpg

Im not exactly sure if Im going to leave them at this spot..I heard these pups can grow and spread fast.

Good shot of my torch..Started as one head from last summer.

Jan2011003.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
DimePieceReef
Nice tank, how you like the odyssea fixture?

Thanks a lot Ty!!! The Odyssea is a decent fixture considering I paid less than $80 for it.The fan is still in working order so it stays relativley cool.Though if I had to do it all over again I would have bought a fixture with individual reflectors. This fixture only has 1 reflector contored around each bulb. I also swapped out the stock bulbs with ATI bulbs...but all in all Ive had decent results with this fixture.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks a lot Ty!!! The Odyssea is a decent fixture considering I paid less than $80 for it.The fan is still in working order so it stays relativley cool.Though if I had to do it all over again I would have bought a fixture with individual reflectors. This fixture only has 1 reflector contored around each bulb. I also swapped out the stock bulbs with ATI bulbs...but all in all Ive had decent results with this fixture.

Yeah, I had an odyssea ficture myself first. It was decent, but I upgraded to a 30" Current Sundial with the reflectors and it's nicee.

BTW sump pics?

DimePieceReef
Yeah, I had an odyssea ficture myself first. It was decent, but I upgraded to a 30" Current Sundial with the reflectors and it's nicee.

BTW sump pics?

Yeah Im going to upgrade myself one day when I have the funds. I want to get a few other things first though like a RO/DI..plus I just started a new 10 gallon for my son :D . Heres some sump pics when it was built and when it was clean...haha

DSCN3677.jpg

I since changed out that ugly yellow bulb for a 6500k daylight bulb

Summer10258.jpg

I will try to post an current pic of my sump that is now filled with GHA.

DimePieceReef

My first SPS!!!!!! :scarry:

New Monti Cap!!!

Feb11003.jpg

New Green Nucs!!!

Feb11002.jpg

and a few random pics

Feb11008.jpg

Froggy

Feb11010.jpg

Ric Garden

Feb11009.jpg

My clown Eve enjoying the scenery

Feb11006.jpg

Torch

Feb11012.jpg

Rics from Top down

Feb11021.jpg

Payls

Feb11017.jpg

Ultra Yellow Polyps

Feb11018.jpg

Current FTS

Feb11004.jpg

DimePieceReef
That red monticap should look real nice once it starts growing in.

Thanks nebthet! It's still doing well. It's starting to attach itself to the rock and is getting more shape to it. I dont know too much about SPS but Im hoping to see the monti do well so I can get mo!

Looking great, those Rics are amazing looking in the top down shot!!

Thanks tundrashaul! Although I can never really get a good shot of top down shots because of the light fixtures glare...but Ill try to mess with the cam more to get some better shots...btw I like how you have your monti's glued to the back wall. I might have to bite your style!

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers mate. It might take me a while, day or two, to get caught up but looking forward to it.

Edit: wait its short maybe this afternoon.

Edit 2: tank is looking great. I really like the monty in there, its placement really works well.

DimePieceReef
Cheers mate. It might take me a while, day or two, to get caught up but looking forward to it.

Edit: wait its short maybe this afternoon.

Edit 2: tank is looking great. I really like the monty in there, its placement really works well.

Thanks bitts! Im actually having some issues with the monti rite now. Its fading and is now pink. I just ordered a 2 part solution from BRS to get my mag alk and calcium all in check. Hopefully that helps. Im looking foward to reading the rest of your 50 some pages of your thread but it may take me a month.haha

• 2 months later...
DimePieceReef

It's been a couple months so I thought I should post a few pics and a new vid. Its been exciting getting more into SPS. I recently purchased a green slimer and a blue digi acro. I recently just started dosing about the same time I purchased the slimer and digi. Im having some pros and cons however. It seems that my sps corals thrive from dosing where some of my softies like my rics have shrunken in size. My torch is also not extending it's tentacles like it usually does. I need to try and find a happy medium but Im struggling rite now. Anyway heres some pics from about a month and a half ago. I have yet to get a picture of my blue digi..but it is in my new vid in which I made a few days ago. Enjoy! :D

Slimer

April-May11065.jpg

HAiry and purple shrooms

April-May11067.jpg

Watermelon Shrooms

April-May11066.jpg

April FTS

April-May11064.jpg

Side Views

April-May11068.jpg

April-May11069.jpg

• 8 months later...