ReefCleaners.org

bonese's 40b | revival

bonese

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yo Bones

I've been following your build for awhile and it's given me some inspiration for my own. Inspiration also for some new wines to try! Check out my sig and let me know what you think.

Did you end up getting the dimmable powermodule?

Whats up Ben?

It's funny you mentioned your thread as I lurked on it when I saw it up the other day. Definitely drink wine. I'm engulfing some Sauv. Blanc from Margarets River right now and its phenom.

As for dimmable powermodule - I did not. I thought I did as it has the same black box but it just wasn't the correct one. I think that is the source of my problems right now as I'm blowing the #### out of anything with light. I have yet to make any changes though as I seem to just not be around the tank much but I'm sure now that I mentioned it I will experiment a little with adjusting the height.

Which Juice you into?

That's why I'm leaning towards the dimmable PM if I don't go DIY with LEDs. so many acronyms...

I would definitely play around with raising the light, see how it affects things. Or maybe some cutouts to shade certain corals?

I'm into the reds. Dry, woody, smokey is typically what I look for. I'm not into overly sweet/fruity wines. I think I'm heading to the store tonight to pick up something, got any recommendations? Maybe in the $15-$20 range

I'm into California cabs. That being said and your price range I'd go and try a bottle of 75. If you want to become best friends with me grab a bottle of Edmeades Zin. One of the few I buy multiple cases and never get tired of it.

The ATI is the ####. I was hesitant at first about it but now I really do like it. If you go for one I'd get the dimmable version. How many bulbs? I like LEDs a lot though. Check out spanko or calvins tanks. Spanko has an unstoppable tank that's really staying beautiful under LEDs and calvins has just begun....Oh and Thunderstorms.

I was thinking of the 4 bulb considering how powerful the fixture is. I think a 40br would be well suited to a dimmable, 4 bulb powermodule.

I'm still trying to design an LED fixture for this tank. I just love how efficient LEDs are, and not having to replace bulbs.

Thunderstorms rule

You can always raise them 6" and see how it goes. It won't hurt anything immediately.

Couldnt find the edmeades, went with an 06 Ramsay Cab. Should be tasty

Yes we were talking about n0rk. Our Australian Ben kills large deadly animals with his bare hands. Last I heard he rides Emus into battle, but thats the last I've heard of him - I do hope he comes back alive and well from the fight.

Anyway though, I value that you have an opinion. I may not follow it but I enjoy people who stand by what they think and not switching it just because. Welcome Sanders.

JP - I will try to talk to them this week hopefully thats what is going on here. Henry, Ben, Get the #### in here and well start talking about the light problem.

JP Henry and Ben - Do you think adjusting the lights height will be beneficial?

Not sure what your concern here is. Can you elaborate a tad on what kind of perceived problem you have?

Henry, I feel that the ATI is just blowing everything away coral wise. I still have only the 4 ORA frags [Red Planet, Hawkins, Borealis and the Verde] It seems the only 2 that are happy are the Red Planet and the Borealis. The Borealis is getting beamed on right smack in the middle up high - It's polyps are continuously open each day and I don't see a real color fade but also I think I blown the colors out and now its just a fraction of what it could be. The other is the Red Planet, Polyps also out all day but I was looking at pictures of when I first put it in and it is no where near as deep of red as it once was. The Hawkins I think I bleached out 4 - 6 weeks ago, ever since he is right next to the red planet. The base is a purpley brown but the sticks are not vibrant or blue even for that matter. The verde I had up to high I believe.

I guess what I really need to know is how and where this light is really in overdrive and also how much "Shade" is too much? Would that be insufficient light to shade them? Raising of the Powermodule?

AJ - I Love Your Tank. I also love the HD videos. Stick around here, I really appreciate the comment as its coming from you. Any Suggestions?

First off it takes time (there that statement is again) for SPS to adapt to new lighting. Best thing to do when purchasing new ones is to make sure you get the information on what lighting it is under, how far below the lighting it is. This is not always possible but you need to ask every time.

Colors are gonna morph. Nature of the game. Bleaching or turning white is too much light, turning brown is too little light. Now that you coral has been in place for some time now best thing to do here is let them be, don't be impatient, and see how the colors change. If you are getting polyp extension and the coral has not turned stark white or sh$& brown then things are evolving.

JMO

Thank you spanko. I guess I was nervous (Once again) because of the bleaching and such. I'm going to try to move up the Hawkins to an entirely different spot and well see how it goes. They came from acan lighting equivalent to 150MH. The only thing that has me nervous is if there was a "Point of no return" so to speak with the Hawkins because the base has color yet the branches do not. Also I'm not seeing any polyps so I'm confused on it.

Ill keep messing with everything and take more enjoyment out rather than want to throw up while doing this. I'll be hoping for some pictures but am pretty OCD with what is alright so I'm praying I can actually take good ones for a change.

Easier said than done.

I'm going to try to take some pictures, The coral wont be impressive and neither will the fish so please keep that in mind and do not get your hopes up.

Picture Update:

I have refused cleaning of the glass for a week to show you these creatures that are on my glass. I think/thought they are red flatworms. If possible can we confirm or deny this as it's bothering me. I could be wrong but please excuse the glass and overall look of the tank as I just wanted to post something rather than nothing like the usual.

First up, The Creatures:

IMG_5702.jpg

IMG_5706.jpg

IMG_5705.jpg

Crabs

IMG_5707.jpg

IMG_5709.jpg

IMG_5720.jpg

IMG_5728.jpg

IMG_5736.jpg

Corals [You were warned.]

IMG_5731.jpg

IMG_5733.jpg

FTS: [Anti Clean]

IMG_5737.jpg

Let me know how you feel its coming. Hope you enjoy them, I'm working on my HORRIBLE photography skills.

algae control: run dark 3 days then water change right before you bring back the light cycle. do it ever couple weeks. think of it like this I get more days of sun up here than pretty much anywhere with 300 That still means 65 days with out sun. reef is the same there are a few full on cloudy days.

so do it like 10 times a year.

Paleoreef103
Picture Update:

I have refused cleaning of the glass for a week to show you these creatures that are on my glass. I think/thought they are red flatworms. If possible can we confirm or deny this as it's bothering me. I could be wrong but please excuse the glass and overall look of the tank as I just wanted to post something rather than nothing like the usual.

First up, The Creatures:

IMG_5702.jpg

IMG_5706.jpg

IMG_5705.jpg

If you are noticing flatworms on your glass and they are tiny (1-2 mm) they're pretty harmless. I freaked out and tried the nuclear option (levisole) on them and while it greatly cut their numbers they kept coming back. I have yet to see that species bother anything so I'd watch them, but not lose any sleep over them.

On your SPS, I'd raise your lights a bit and probably go down to four bulbs for a bit. If you have access to a PAR meter, raise your lights until you only have 250-350 PAR at your SPS and let them recover.

So thats what those Coloradan hippies drug of choice is... Sunshine.

Haha I'll definitely be doing a 3 day black out today tomorrow and sunday, The additives [Vodka will continue and on monday will be dosing 3 ml. I do a measly 1 day black out already so I hope the 3 day will really slash numbers.

Paleo - Yeah I think I'm going to try something if the blackout doesn't go as well as I'm hoping.

Moral of Today: Do not come home drunk at 3 and then drink all of the fish vodka because "I'm not as drunk as my fish are...They ####ing sit in vodka." then have your mate look at you with his drunk look and say very shyly, "....I'm hungry - Give me some of there food." All in all successful Thursday night.

Doing a water change right now after the 3 dark lonely days.

Algae hasn't seem to reproduce anywhere but I don't see a die off. I do however see the green becoming lighter which is to me a great sign.

Nothing new really in the tank and I don't know where to really go with it, I hope to be really putting in some attention to this soon as it's been neglected on the attention front.

So I have been waiting for a perfect addition to this tank...Morgan, The reef gardener has provided me my fix for the time being, Now the real fun and adding begins.

...Her picture: P4060010.jpg

Let me know what you guys think...

...JP this is for you, The clam that is.

Archived