Coral Vue Hydros

The Nano Reef :-)

adamcrouch

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks very nice. Now to see the effect they have on your system relating to growth and color of the coral.

Very nice build, well done my friend.

Toothycritter

Hey Adam

Tank is looking awesome.

Would you mind telling me, how much did customes charge you for import duty? I would like to order some stuff from the States too, but am worried about how much duty will cost.

Also, where do you track down the sweet corals living in the UK, most of the stuff I see for sale is always brown!

Thanks

Jason

Toothycritter
Hey, we think the import duty was calculated wrong. But it was £18 a bulb.

Where do you live?

Hi Adam, I live just South of London down in Surrey

Been trying a while to source some decent zoa's and rics from the States but not many people want to ship here. I am planning a really nice frag system and would like to source some decent softies.

Looking for the rarer stuff like hornets, AOG's ect

Man, I really like your tank! Love the scape and rimless look. I can tell you take great care of your tank based on the appearance. I must say that I liked the overall appearance of your original light better, it looked cleaner as a total setup.

Man, I really like your tank! Love the scape and rimless look. I can tell you take great care of your tank based on the appearance. I must say that I liked the overall appearance of your original light better, it looked cleaner as a total setup.

Hey, I plan to make the look of the lights and the pole etc alot neater. The current pole is only temp. Need to have a think how to make it look alot better. Would be cool to hang them from the ceiling, but i'm in rented accommodation at the moment.

this tank looks like a dodge viper all black with the hottest woman sitting in the passenger seat wearing red.

Wow thanks :-)

how far off the water is the lamps mounted? What do you think of the colors? How is everything reacting? Any negatives you have seen so far? Positives you've seen??

From the pics it appears that the tank is a little bit "whiter" than with the old lighting...could just be the photos tho too....

I'm interested to see what you think

The leds are 12" (30cm) away from the top of the tank. I think i will move them down another few inches.

I really like the look of the leds. Love the shimmer effect. The colours of the corals are very similar, but slightly better, to when I hade the t5s.

All the corals look healthier. The green trachy has expanded more and the zoas aren't "stretching" for the light any more. I had a few zoa heads that werent opening, these have now opened.

The look of the light with the naked eye is VERY different. Not really sure how to explain it. I wonder if a video will capture it better. I'll try get a video up in the next few days

Paleoreef103

Stellar tank. Keep us posted on how this tank adapts to the LEDs!

Are you running the 12K bulbs or the 20K?
DSC09515.jpg
  • 2 weeks later...
adamcrouch

i'll take some shots with a beer can or something in view so you can judge the size.

• 2 months later...

Grrr! Just wrote up a massive update and lost it!! I'll start again!

Pictures will follow later today when it gets dark.

So... i went away for 6 weeks and left my tank with my parents. They have looked after my tank for a month before so I thought 6 weeks would be ok also. I showed them how to do water changes, top up the ATO, and left feeding instructions. I also told them to try and clean the glass everyday to stop the build up of algae.

About 3 weeks into the holiday my parents contacted me telling me that the yellow clown goby had vanished! I told them to check behind the rock, behind the tank on the floor and in the rear chambers... Nothing! I think it must of jumped out and been eaten by the cat :-( I told them to do an extra water change encase it died in the tank and polluted the water.

For the rest of the holiday my parents told me that everything was perfect and the corals were growing loads. Which i was very happy about...

On my return, my black clown fish had magically turned to an orange clown. My parents said that the black clown had died about 2 weeks ago and my dad wanted to replace it with another fish. Luckly my brother went with him, as my dad always thinks i can fit more fish in my tank. My Dad wanted to buy a fully grown pair of clown fish for the tank but my brother said they were too big, and ended up getting a small orange clown. :-) It was from a shop that i wouldnt usually buy livestock from, but its been alive for 3 weeks and has no sign of illness so fingers crossed!

I only lost one coral! It was one of the newer purchases... the red blasto :-( :-( O well!

I put a tiny frag of pom pom xeina in the tank. Must of only had about 2 stalks! I kept it away from everything else on a frag plug... but now its EVERYWHERE! So if anyone lives close to chester and wants a frag, pop over :-)

Most of the zoas have spread over the rock and the gorgonian has also grown in size by about 500% :-)

The sand was also covered in some sort of thick brown algae, but ive pulled most of it out and its not coming back! The glass was also quite dirty, but i expected that.

I decided to leave the skimmer off over the 6 weeks for some reason. Not 2 sure why. Just didnt want it over flowing by mistake and making a mess i think. I think next time i leave the tank i'd leave the skimmer on, which would help keep the tank cleaner.

Humm, what have i missed. Not sure... feel free to ask any questions. I'll go get some photos soon and get them up.

Mr. Microscope

Wait. I just realized something. 1 gallon is about 3.8 liters. So, is it 18.9 liters (=5 gallons), or 6.6 gallons (=25 liters)? Not much of a difference, just curious.

BTW. It doesn't look like you've had any problems with your zoas shrinking with going over to LEDs. Any comments on that? I've witnessed dramatic shrinkage of mine with the change over from PCs ( :lol: shrinkage, hee hee).

Archived