SaltCritters.com

2.5g Mini-Bow - LED Illuminated

reefpirate

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10 yearss of the same old lighting? i heard about ten years from now they be coming out a 10" PC that rated at 250watts.

NanoNewbie16

wow this thread really died can u plz get some pics of a tank with the LEDs so i can see if i want sumthing similar and im just very interested still so plz get some pics soon...

Interesting.

First let me say that I am NOT trying to stir thins up here. So as not to turn this into a flame thread or a rant thread etc I'll try to choose my words carefully as I don't intend to insult or argue with anyone. If there are any issues with this post then please PM me.

I'm not so sure I agree that this is a dead topic. The applications that you are pointing to are not the same as the ones described here.

There is a fairly large difference between lighting a planted tank and a nano reef. There is also a large difference between a full sized reef tank and a nano reef.

The thread on your planted tank is interesting, but you haven't really shown any results yet. Just a couple of quick pictures. I would love to see how it turns out (assuming that you haven't given up).

My tank is the height of a pop can. There is a HUGE difference between a four inch pico reef and your typical 18 to 24 inch deep reef. While much of the technology we use in nano reefs is the same as for mini reefs, there are a number of things we do that the "big boys" would never do. A summary of why it has been shown not to work or why you don't think it will work would have been nice rather than telling people it won't work... go read 50 pages of text.

Is it

The spectrum?

The intensity?

The spread of the light?

Penetration thorugh the water?

Once again, I'm not trying to stir things up.

PS If anyone truly feels that their LED system is useless and that it will absolutely not work under any circumstances please feel free to mail it to me. I would love to give it a try on my up and comming itty bitty tank.

by dead I meant, no new results etc from reefpirates original project in quite some time. This is afteral HIS thread :) ...and he did some really cool stuff here ..and would be even cooler when hi eventually posts his results.

Hopefully it will pick back up.

I just wanted to get new life into the luxeon thing. While a planted tank and a reef are different beasts, you can learn things between each other. We'll just have to wait and see :)

Ahhh LOL.

Sorry, I hope I didn't come accross as a prick.

Thanks for the clarification., hehe ;)

How is the planted tank comming along?

no worries at all :)

my planted tanks are just fine! but the LED based ones haven't started, so that isn't exactly the answer you had in mind :D

Drivers come in next week so shortly after, I will have real results.

OR...perhaps the results are really good...pirate is doing a really good job of building the suspence and we will have updated pictures with growth and all :D ..one could only hope

• 4 weeks later...

There is a guy on reef cnetral that did something like this. He write up is complete with lux readings, and pictures.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry for long post; I Set up some LED's in my tank for night lighting (blue spectrum of course. Originally I riged 6 in with my power compact lighting. The tank is a 12 gal. nano cube. I set the whole rig up before looking at any thing online. I also rigged it on a dimmer to simulate a cloudy night. So the first night I set it on it was a mix between some night club and a ufo landing in my tank. I was expecting my wrasse to be blind for a day or two.

So I disconected 3 from the circute and now I can actully sleep and my shrimp loves them and thats saying alot with a finicky camle-back. Great and I'm working an setting up LED's in my 2 gal. very simlilar wish I would have seen your link before I did my own though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived