inTank Media Baskets

2.5g Mini-Bow - LED Illuminated

reefpirate

WE WANT UP DATES!! WE WANT UP DATES!! WE WANT UP DATES!! WE WANT UP DATES!! WE WANT UP DATES!! WE WANT UP DATES!! WE WANT UP DATES!! WE WANT UP DATES!!

hehehe

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
aggiereefer

buy the cheapest pump you can find and pump tank water over the heat sink you will have a light/heater all in one. :-)

Sorry about taking so long to post back here - have been out of town for the last few weeks on business. While I was gone my Luxeon III's arrived - so I have more LED's to play with. I'll post some pics of the setup shortly.

-Bill

Hehe

Reefpirate has this tecqnique down...

How do you keep a reefer in suspense?

Reefpirate will show you later..... :D

DitchPlains

Just wanted to say awesome thread, and I'm sure you know this but figured I'd point out that theres a pre-built Lumenen board that contains I think 8 or 12 Led's of the same spectrum output, and there is a heatsink and Xiatanium driver for it at 1050ma I believe. I could be posting this wrong, but I figured that might be easier to work with then the loose ones. I want to build a 2.5 Aga Minbow with them now. If you can foward any specs on your build to dvallee@optonline.net I would gladly appreciate it. Like everyone else I am in dire anticpation of your final design with corals and such.... hanging off the edge of my seat here....thats soem serious hardware......solid state is comming a long way!!!:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

One thing I am interested in is how bright these are compared to PCs. ie, how many 1watt white luxeons are equivalent to the light output of the 1x13 AH delux kit (with reflector). I'm fairly sure it will be less than 13 1watt luxeons, but i'd like to get a practical number. ...like 1watt AHSupply kit = ~ x watts white luxeon LED.

a VERY interesting thread :)

well... if a 13w cfl gives off an initial 800 lumens, and a standard 1w white luxeon star is supposed to emit 80.... 10.

but that doesn't take into account reflection and restrike losses though...or does it?

just looking at Bills picture of the 4 1watters, it seems about as bright if not brighter than a 13watt AH kit.

I'd be interesting to see that tank lit under the 4x1watters and a 1x13ah kit....and keep the camera distance, ambient light, shutter speed and aperature constant.

I did a reflector study under such conditions to show the impact of a reflector (very convicing photos). Just thought something like this would be of use.

ok fwiw, here's what i think:

kris was pushing luxeon's stock long over a year ago on reefmatrix.

there's a huge (it's long.) thread on RC and several good reads regarding this technology in this forum as well.

nip's been using his multi-1w emitter/xitanium setup for awhile.

there's a similar (and older) 4g aga designer tank out there on the web that documents the owner's experience with 1w LEDs

...but...

other than that... i've yet to see a solid, long term tank with a LED setup.

you've had 3 months. let's see the pictures.

While the four 1 watt LED's are very bright, you have to keep in mind that they have a fairly focused light path. This means that you need more than 4 to light a tank. Hence Bill is hooking up more. I think that if nothing else this will be a very interedsitng looking tank. I can't wait to see the final results and whether they can support life or not.

I'm actually looking at lighting the Red Sea Candy XL (azoo ~0.6g tank). it has the foot print ~ a CD case. The 7watt PC routinely gets my tank 80°+. I hate to see how high it gets when the summer hits :(

Pictures, here, now.......please? even if they aren't good lets just see what is going on. I have a 2.5 that I may want to try this on.

Originally posted by 1fish2fish

Hehe  

Reefpirate has this tecqnique down...

How do you keep a reefer in suspense?

Reefpirate will show you later.....  :D

I think hes now taking it too the extream!!!!

X)

Archived