SaltCritters.com

Oceanus's 475 litre

Oceanus

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'mm pretty much sure the cbb is gone. But there is something hiding behind my overflow box that pops out.

I'm getting an Iwaki without drilling! Aqualifter on steroids.

It occured to me this morning. How about just hooking up a utube section of piping over the side, have the pump be lower than water level, and have a priming outlet. Like a closed loop.

Skimmer will be a new ATI cone.

Happy Christmas and a Merry New year guys! Tomorrow hopefully I'll get something *corals* blah who said that?

Did you end up getting anything of interest?! :)

Never made it. Had to go to a funeral. :tears:

Good news is that skimmer is nice and economical. If I find some coupon, I can get if for about $480.

hey there OC, sorry to hear about the funeral.

on brighter notes. that skimmer looks good. think it pulls twice as much scfh of air as my euro-reef. so performance shouldn't be an issue. the new impeller they've come up with finally brings the performance of a meshwheel with out needing regular replacement. nice. the low power wheel based skimmers may start holding their own with the downdrafts. well maybe. regardless it looks like it will work for you.

Yea, and with a coupon, nice and cost effective! What do you think about my Iwaki physics idea? Don't drill, but use a sort of utube over the rim.

It occured to me this morning. How about just hooking up a utube section of piping over the side, have the pump be lower than water level, and have a priming outlet. Like a closed loop.

Skimmer will be a new ATI cone.

Hah, I'm looking at th 40. What model did you get again?

Yea, and with a coupon, nice and cost effective! What do you think about my Iwaki physics idea? Don't drill, but use a sort of utube over the rim.

as to the pump, nice job on the Iwaki. I assume you know to go for the japanese motor, if you can. as to the u tube not sure I'm following. do you mean to use a u tube as in a siphon box overflow. or the return.

the voice in the back of my head says to go with things that you've seen work in multiple places.

I've seen it work w/ a panworld pump. Close enough.

Vision

There is a piece of pvc standing vertical in the sump, not touching the bottom glass. One 90* elbow leads it over the frame. A tee finishes the turn. Pvc runs from this down to the pump. On the top outlet of the tee, thee is a priming cap. Fill the pump w/ water to the max height, turn it on, and shouldn't it start sucking first the air that was still in the piping, but the sump's water?

gotcha. would maybe work better with a feed pump but that's just getting to much fun. the piping would need to be extra large perhaps, like maybe 2 inch. so as not to restrict flow

dangers: at power off there may be air trapped in the u bend, or it could be siphoned back out leaving the pump dry at start up.

think of it coming back on while your in class from a 2 min power out. if you can design around this then I would say your on the right track.

I'll see if I can find info on running multiple pumps. I know it does thing to boost performance. but can't remember if it cause's turbulence at the second pump. causing it to cav. they may need to be matched some way.

Hmm, but if I size the tubing slightly sasmller, wouldn't the air issue be soved? It would just get sucked up?

And if both ends remain submerged, with the pump lower than water level, Wouldn't the siphon hold?

OC this is one of those few times I'm going to say ask about this on RC. you may be best off doing a full siphon setup on this if your wanting to go this way. pipe up to a u bend, down to a second U bend, to a tee, to a riser tube. feed the pump off the tee, but this seems iffy to me. so like I said may need to search RC.

edit: wait I'm an idiot, not 100%. but think your right. it should work.

I don't know theres still a voice in the back of my head saying there's danger of siphon emptying the intake side...

hey OC thinkin about doing a thread in the DIY forum to get some second opinions. what do you think. what would be some ? you would want answered out of it.

Archived