Innovative Marine Aquariums

Oceanus's 475 litre

Oceanus

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am, my computer is not. The old hp laptop that served me for 5 years finally died, and I wound up buying a vaio.

I am thinking, maybe no bubble king. I might go aquaeuro or swc.

animalmaster6

I was thinking about that two. I think it's easier and cheaper just to go with the EV-400. It's a fantastic skimmer.

Also what do you have for a cuc?

Heh, well he delivers on dwarf ceriths!

I am going Bubble King. Royal Exclusiv Vertex Alpha 200 cone skimmer with red dragon. Rated for 300 gallons. Y know, I've been reading more and more not to go with a skimmer larger tha 2x your system volume. So yeah, 150 gallon system x2 is 300.

the skimmer should be based more on bioload than tank volume. this is what allows the foam to form & move up the neck, into the cup. when the bioload is to load, it prevents the foam from forming in a Constantin manner. which results in the skimmate forming on the neck further reducing production. you adjust the production rate of an over powered skimmer somewhat by controlling the airflow. however the waterflow may be more difficult to control with out compromising the skimmers performance.

^what that guy said,

It is why people go through 2-3 skimmers in their tanks life.

Your initial bioload will be too low for the skimmer to perform. Now I'm not saying don't get the skimmer, but you may want to look at cheaper skimmer(s) to step up to that big bad toy.

Most of the high end skimmers have gate valves where they control the amount of water exiting and add what pressure. For instance with a low bioload tank, you could crank the gate down there by increasing the water height inside the skimmer, causing the bubbles to rise higher.

OR

Load the tank quickly, and the skimmer will work just fine.

I ran a aquaC Urchin 100 for 9 months on my 125 before it became overwhelmed. Now I have a SRO-2000 that is serving light duty right now. I figure I'm barely in the range of the bio load for it right now. Empty the cup every 4 days.

The Alpha 200 in my experience can approach 600 gallons before it starts to struggle based on a "normal" bioload and diligent husbandry. That said, they're fairly easy to "tune down" to take up the slack. Just feed more :)

Archived