• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tundrashaul
I can't believe no one has said

WOW!

:o

Looks awesome!!!!!

Thanks, happy to finally have it going, starting to see a little total amonia but almost no free, i dont expect much die off from 1 1/2 lbs of LR, with live sand it shouldnt take long. probably go a few weeks before a small cuc. Just dont know if i want emeralds or hermits.

automatik_33

Really looks good. Really like the panting on the back on the tank coming out so well in the background, looks awesome! Those rocks look real good too!

tundrashaul
! Those rocks look real good too!

Thanks, i was sceptical of ordering online because of shape, but when i ordered i left a note with my order about my tank size and planned scape. the next day i had a e-mail from john tellng me he would select appropiate pieces, he did great i would recomend reef cleaners to all who want dry rock

tundrashaul

Been doing tests every 2 to 3 days , amonia today was..free-0, total-0.10 to 0.13, nitrites have been almost barley detectable, and nitrates have been at 5 last two tests.

There was a little green starfish on the LR and he has climbed to the top of the galss and has been there almost two days, i have read that things hanging at the top of the water column is bad, but i dont know why this is said. dry rock is starting to turn a little brown so im figuring diatoms.

Hey, how you doing. I really like your scape. It looks awsome. Can't wait to see how your tank will turn out.

tundrashaul

I know i am terrible with this thing but i can honestly say ive never used one, it is my friends camera and the lens was dirty when i shot this. i will try and make something a little more presentable when i have some time........my fiance comes in a about the 56 second mark and her and the dog say hello if you wonder what the noise is. the gurggling noise is much worse in video than in person, no louder than any hob filter ive owned.

tundrashaul

Params last night

79*

ph-8.2

amonia-free-0 total .01

nitrite-2.5 (highest ive seen :D )

nitrate-5

I may order a cuc from john this weekend or next, i think i see some aiptasia so i might get a peppermint shrimp as well.

as far as fish, still be a while but i cant decide if i should get a pair of ocellaris clowns or my blenny first. Any input? i want a blenny like Violinist's

tundrashaul
Nice! :happy:

Has that dry rock covered in coralline yet?

from what ive read, coralline may take months or a year, I think it needs specific things in the water to feed off. i think calcium is a big one, It wont be long before i start dosing with purple up, which contains what the coralline algae need and should jump start things. once things balance out it should grow on its own. From what it looks like the coralline that was on the LR has bleached or died, its all white, but the underside is still all purple.

tundrashaul

update, took two baffles out of sump to make fuge area bigger and to allow for a bigger return pump if ever needed. also added 10 lbs live-arag sand to fuge and a couple pounds of dry rock. little white hairs are all over everything, live rock and dry rock, tried to point it out in the pic. .......can anyone shed anylight??????

post-50586-1274637974_thumb.jpg

post-50586-1274637985_thumb.jpg

post-50586-1274637992_thumb.jpg

update, took two baffles out of sump to make fuge area bigger and to allow for a bigger return pump if ever needed. also added 10 lbs live-arag sand to fuge and a couple pounds of dry rock. little white hairs are all over everything, live rock and dry rock, tried to point it out in the pic. .......can anyone shed anylight??????

how deep is that sand bed? it doesn't look deep enough from that picture to work as a DSB, but it looks too deep to just be sitting there like that.

From what I have read there is no need to dose purple up for coralline growth. Usually it grows fast once you have good water quality, lighting and flow. Growth usually happens at the 6month+ mark.

Once you have around 460ppm calcium you're good to go. If you dont have sps theres no need to dose calcium since you can keep that level with regular water changes.

Im sure others have may have a different opinion on it. Just going on what I have read about it.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=184552

tundrashaul
how deep is that sand bed? it doesn't look deep enough from that picture to work as a DSB, but it looks too deep to just be sitting there like that.

bout 2.5 inches.20 lbs in display 10 lbs in fuge.thought it would be somewhat effective, may get another bag. What do you mean not deep enough to be just sitting there, what else can you do with it? have the water run through the sand bed?

tundrashaul
From what I have read there is no need to dose purple up for coralline growth. Usually it grows fast once you have good water quality, lighting and flow. Growth usually happens at the 6month+ mark.

Once you have around 460ppm calcium you're good to go. If you dont have sps theres no need to dose calcium since you can keep that level with regular water changes.

Im sure others have may have a different opinion on it. Just going on what I have read about it.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=184552

I too have read many mixed reviews on it. i have seen good results on dry rock apps. i just havent seen anyone jump up and say "I started a tank with dry rock and had coralline in X many months without dosing", waiting for it to grow wont kill me, was just curious about product.

I too have read many mixed reviews on it. i have seen good results on dry rock apps. i just havent seen anyone jump up and say "I started a tank with dry rock and had coralline in X many months without dosing", waiting for it to grow wont kill me, was just curious about product.

If you decide to use it post up you're results. I think the trick with dry rock is to get as many spores as you can using a toothbrush to get it mixed into the column.

tundrashaul
I think the trick with dry rock is to get as many spores as you can using a toothbrush to get it mixed into the column.

Thats a great idea, once things stabilize im gonna try it :)

automatik_33

Everything is looking good!

Probably be best to just wait it out and let the coralline grow on its own. My sand bed in my fuge is about the same height so not sure if I should add more also.

tundrashaul

yeah, my intentions on the sand bed was mostly a rooting bed for whatever kind of seagrass i was going to plant to the left of rock with a ball of chaeto on the right, so...... i dont want to end up with only a few inches of water depth for a fuge, kind of defeats the whole point of having one. Maybe even a mantis or something for down there for extra viewing pleasures. i dont think i will add more sand, i do believe i have PLENTY of media for ben. bac. to grow. saw you got your rock automatik, doesnt need a whole lot of rinsing to not chalk up water. has your light come in?

tundrashaul

Got my fuge light today, 56 shipped so not breaking the bank and much cleaner then a clamp on, 2 18w 50/50 PCs. sits perfect front to back on rim, see how het works out, i might hang it somehow. will be plenty of light for any of my needs.

post-50586-1275090570_thumb.jpg

post-50586-1275090581_thumb.jpg

post-50586-1275090606_thumb.jpg

post-50586-1275090617_thumb.jpg

latteslave

Looking good. I am no DSB expert by any means, but I heart should be at least four inches.

Just my two cents, you have the main display, nice sump, macro algae and a skimmer. Not so sure would even be worrying about a DSB.

tundrashaul
Looking good. I am no DSB expert by any means, but I heart should be at least four inches.

Just my two cents, you have the main display, nice sump, macro algae and a skimmer. Not so sure would even be worrying about a DSB.

i dont think i really need it either, just had a 10 lb bag left from startup i was itching to get into the system!! thanks man

Archived