Cultivated Reef

Tundrashauls 20gal. long

tundrashaul

tundrashaul

Got good news from my dad today, MY STAND IS DONE, he called me round lunch and tols me i could come pick it up from his shop, but i had to pick a load of material up for a house im wiring next week, we went from no work at all hardly, to crazy paced LONG days, so the short of the long is that my wotk truk was FULL. Gonna pick it up tomorrow, all i need to do is to put some oil based paint on it and i can drill for plumbing. thinking of bending a piece of 3/4 EMT conduit to attach to my stand to hang my light from. say a tank like this but done with two bends on one piece of pipe, first bend (90*) came forward at height and second 90 turned back to parrallell with tank, and whole unit canbe rotated away from top for maiten. and feeding. ive noticed with the legs on i would have to go open top to not have to remove the light to lift top.

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tundrashaul

Got my stand, put tanks on to decide on final location. gonna do electrical and plumbing rough in tonight, paint sometime next week. had it built tall for easy sump access.

post-50586-1269720603_thumb.jpg

post-50586-1269720705_thumb.jpg

tundrashaul

Finished electrical and plumbing(roughs). put elec. box covers to show how its setup, i have an 8 foot 12 gauge rubber cord that runs through back into bottom box which will house gfci, offset nipples run to two quad recep. boxes. I will be installing a dedicated 20 amp circuit for setup. ill paint all boxes and covers black and i bought black devices, just need to pick up some 3/4 emt from shop tomorrow and make light hanger, and paint. Stoked bout how light makes backround look.

post-50586-1269828073_thumb.jpg

post-50586-1269828085_thumb.jpg

post-50586-1269828098_thumb.jpg

post-50586-1269828112_thumb.jpg

I see water!

feels good to be wet - right?!?

The background looks sweet with the water and light. Nice stand...

tundrashaul

Thanks Yall, I got alot of painting ahead, think im gonna spray, few good coats of fusion oughta do it huh?, first plan was oil base with a brush, but i think i can get a smoother finish with spray. any suggestions? going to do flat black.

Thanks Yall, I got alot of painting ahead, think im gonna spray, few good coats of fusion oughta do it huh?, first plan was oil base with a brush, but i think i can get a smoother finish with spray. any suggestions? going to do flat black.

have you found someplace to buy fusion in the area? lowes/hd don't have it.

tundrashaul
have you found someplace to buy fusion in the area? lowes/hd don't have it.

Pleasants (ACE) hardware had it on sunday when i got some weed-b-gone for lawn, it was in chesterfield meadows off rt.10 near the courthouse.

tundrashaul

Paint and hanger are gonna have to wail until sat. wore out from a long week, did the math and wont be able to put 90* bends close enough together, so ill do a 90 across the front and then a simple "kick out" bend from back will do. Think im going to spray this stand, i may pull elec boxes off to at least get a coat or to on stand behind them, just to feel secure. Ill pull cord out to paint so i dont seal. it in and risk messing up the finish by moving it later.

Any hardware suggestions(knobs) going to change hinges to stainless too because of sump condensation

Thanks Ya'll

tundrashaul

Got around to making the light hanger, worked out great. was going to paint today being its 84* outside, but its a little too breezy. i know the bar isnt level right now but i want to see how much sag the light causes. final pic shows how the rig can be rotated away from tank so i can play in it!!!

post-50586-1270245498_thumb.jpg

post-50586-1270245512_thumb.jpg

post-50586-1270245544_thumb.jpg

tundrashaul

Put three coats of fusion on stand, the material the stand is made of just ducked it up though. im going to try two to three more coats and try to even it out, if not ill have to brush or try a flat paint. stupid that fusion only came in satin, but i guess it will clean off without messing up the finish like flat. Expected birthdate for tank is june 4th, also mine. im putting in central air this month and ive been keeping an eye on my fw and dont like temp. changes, got up to 79, usually run it at 75 and its only 85 outside.

tundrashaul
that background is unique and pretty nice IMO. Time to get some water in that thing and take a video of it!

THANKS, im itchin to get this thing going, but i have bigger items on the agenda that will directly effect this tank. my house gets FULL sun in every sense of the word. already put the fake wood privacy blinds so no direct light will get to it.

tundrashaul

thank you, the suspension cables are going to have come onto the light at an angle because the left mounting holes on light are under the radius of the bend, but it should look ok, or i could just drill my own holes on the light but theres some serious hardware under the skin that those bolts go into, so i think ill stick with them.

repaint stand this weekend, if not sooner pendind wind, and pollen round here is terrible right now, richmond is known for pollen and mold.......google it

tundrashaul

stand is painted, electrical is done, hanger needs paint and suspension system(still trying to figure one out that ill be happy with). fiance and i decided on 6/4 to fill with rock, ill probably water a few days before rock and sand so it can age some. may do a fw test run for a few days soon. one i have some actual living tank pics hopefully ill get my love back on here.......j/k, but really....whered eveyone go?

tundrashaul

yeah....not much going on with it, stand and hanger are painted, elect. devices installed. just went to checkout the cart ive had saved at marine depot for a month and now the mp-10 is out of stock :angry: , had all my test kits in it too(another big'n, i try to do bulk for free shipping), i may go with the old one because of its price, im going to research some es model reviews now. great to see you back latte, glad your tank sitters were compitent, always a fear even with the fw of mine.

Big Al's Online and Petstore still have them and I think you get the free shipping from either... Big Al's shipped fast!

tundrashaul

finally finished with making sh**. hanger was easy as all but suspension was a time consuming PITA, but its done.......after almost 2 f'n hours invested between HD and installing. next time ill buy the dang kit, the hanging mount holes were metric and i didnt feel like tracking down a metric eye-hook, but i got it. tank and sump are filled doing a couple day freshwater test run, very happy with noise level.

post-50586-1271538006_thumb.jpg

post-50586-1271538016_thumb.jpg

post-50586-1271538028_thumb.jpg

Wow cool, this is going to look cool when it has sand and live rock..... I really like how you hung your light fixture. That's was what I was trying to do with mine but it came out really lame. I couldn't find the right construction material, or I was just not that creative. Well your tank looks cool

tundrashaul

thank you,... the suspension got even more tricky when i had to have the cable on an angle th way they are......mounting holes on left were in the radius of the 90. so making it level on all 4 corners was a bit tough, but all in all im happy with it.

Archived