Cultivated Reef

SaNChEz's First Pico (First Salt Too!)

sanchez

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yah give it some time :) water change is always good :) new fresh water (well fresh saltwater that is) hope they open for you soon! i already like the line green poly i see :P

Still not open, but the little 'buds' I was talking about a couple days ago are starting to look like polyps :) Maybe they're closed because they're growing. Gunna try a slight water change later to see what happens.

Still not open, but the little 'buds' I was talking about a couple days ago are starting to look like polyps :) Maybe they're closed because they're growing. Gunna try a slight water change later to see what happens.

I think one of the polyps is melting, it's the lowest one and it hasn't opened at all, seems like a piece of it's flesh is coming off. Should I try to remove it from the tank? Still no signs of them opening.

Nitrate - 2-5ppm

Nitrite - 0ppm

Ammonia - 0ppm

pH - 8.3

kH - 180

Salinity 1.024

Temp 78.4

maybe its your nitrAte? not to sure..not that experienced with zoa yet =\ hope i can help. i'll see if i can find anything on the web :)

have you seen anything else in your tank, like crabs? have you tried closing the lights and see if any hitchhikers comes out.? i'm reading some articels atm and some say they're taught they were melting away but was actually being eatten =\

you can try some VC

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=1443472

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...mp;pagenumber=1

hope this helps

maybe its your nitrAte? not to sure..not that experienced with zoa yet =\ hope i can help. i'll see if i can find anything on the web :)

have you seen anything else in your tank, like crabs? have you tried closing the lights and see if any hitchhikers comes out.? i'm reading some articels atm and some say they're taught they were melting away but was actually being eatten =\

you can try some VC

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=1443472 hope this helps

Yeah I turned the lights out on Friday to make sure nothing came along with them. They're not on a frag plug though, they're on the rock they were in at the LFS and they were proud and open while they were there. When I say it's melting, I don't mean melting really.. It still looks plump and round, just has like a flake of flesh coming off at the rim of the opening. The rest of them are fine though as far as scars/zoapox goes.

hmmm =\ did you get the carban to filter out chem in the tank yet? maybe that'll help?

I can't go to the LFS until this weekend. They close before I get off work. I'm going to try some vitamin C, ordered it today. I ordered pure abscorbic acid crystals though, not sodium ascorbate. Don't want anything but the viatmin in the tank that could raise or lower the salinity.

a few of my zoa's polyps that died from shipping had that sloughing of the skin. those never opened and I'm sure are dead...I just left them in my pico though. I don't feel like bothering my colony and I'm sure my CUC will take care of it eventually ;)

I'd say if your nitrates have not spiked, then you could leave that dying polyp in there..

a few of my zoa's polyps that died from shipping had that sloughing of the skin. those never opened and I'm sure are dead...I just left them in my pico though. I don't feel like bothering my colony and I'm sure my CUC will take care of it eventually ;)

I'd say if your nitrates have not spiked, then you could leave that dying polyp in there..

Okay cool, yeah the nitrates were actually lower today than yesterday. I'll just leave it in there, it's the smallest one too. I really need to step up my CUC, since the other snails died I only have 1 hermit and 1 snail. Would you advise getting another hermit? I rather like them.. lol

I think it's really up to you.

Okay, hermit and snails it is :)

And ALNN, it's done cycling as far as I know, nitrites have been 0, ammonia 0 and very low nitrates for a week or more. I already had my nasty brown algae too, so I guess it's done? lol.

well i hope your zoa do better and open up :) i'll love to see what they look like. i'll also see if i can find any more useful information. when you start dosing VC tell me if they work :P

Quick question, are nudis fast or slow, I imagine they would be slow since they are slug like, but I've been seeing things crawling around the zoas, but like I said before they look like some form of pods, and the zoas don't close up when they're on them.. The one that I thought was dead is partially open now, so maybe it's shedding :)

And I saw my big ol' bristle worm today, glad to see it's alive and kickin.

them pods are probably annoying the zoas too...

nudis are tiny. make sure you get rid of those if you have them.

them pods are probably annoying the zoas too...

nudis are tiny. make sure you get rid of those if you have them.

Nope, no nudis then. The pods just kinda wander around, and the zoas don't even flinch as they run by.

Quick question, are nudis fast or slow, I imagine they would be slow since they are slug like, but I've been seeing things crawling around the zoas, but like I said before they look like some form of pods, and the zoas don't close up when they're on them.. The one that I thought was dead is partially open now, so maybe it's shedding :)

And I saw my big ol' bristle worm today, glad to see it's alive and kickin.

haha thats good news! at least its not dead. quick quetion...if they're hungry..do then still close up cause of stress or will they open up anyways for food?

if you can get some macro pictures of the zoa and "pods" hoping they are pods that would be great :)

haha thats good news! at least its not dead. quick quetion...if they're hungry..do then still close up cause of stress or will they open up anyways for food?

if you can get some macro pictures of the zoa and "pods" hoping they are pods that would be great :)

I can take pics of the zoas with my phone, but the pods are so fast that it will be near impossible to get a pic. They look like this, pill_bug.jpg

That's not exactly what they are, but generally that's what they look like.

you sure you dont have amphipods? instead of isopods?

is one bad and the other good? i'm just starting out so yah..i dont know the difference =(

I dont know much about ispods in SW because I'm a newb to all this too, but amphipods are supposed to be safer, just as they are in FW. FW is what I have most experience with ;)

Yeahhhh amphipods may be the ones I'm seeing. I dunno anything about isopods, amphipods, or any kind of pods really lol. I came in this morning after adjusting my light schedule so it would be off when I got into the office to find some weird critters I had not seen before, including a couple shots of this "Pod" which are rather blurry, but give you a general idea of what it looks like. I also saw this long worm thing coming out of one of the LR, it retracted in as soon as the light came on.

4425333596_9d6445783b_b.jpg

4424567507_cf8ea13e57_b.jpg

4424567479_7603313fd7_b.jpg

Archived