Coral Vue Hydros

SaNChEz's First Pico (First Salt Too!)

sanchez

rofl I am kinda suicidal, keeping a planted tank with a goldfish right now xD. has worked out for the past 5 months...

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rofl I am kinda suicidal, keeping a planted tank with a goldfish right now xD. has worked out for the past 5 months...

Lol, No problem as long as your fish.plant ratio is right. I have a... 200? gallon pond at my parent's house with goldfish in it, they're about 5 inches long now but the water has never gone cloudy or anything, somehow we managed to get the perfect amount of fish to plants :)

On another note, came into work today after the weekend and my ATO had squezzed it's way out of it's duct tape sleeve, so the hose was a bit below where it was supposed to be. Granted, it kept the water at that level which was good, but not where it was supposed to go. Capped off with some fresh, took readings and this is what I got. There's a ton of new algae growth over the weekend too, some purple, most green. Not hair, green like a carpet and a lot of the spots that were green are turning light/dark purple. I'm really diggin this setup, and so is my hermit. Dunno where the bumble bee snail is, there's a lot of new coves and whatnot for him to hide in.

I'm going to pick up some CUC later this week hopefully, one snail and one hermit aren't enough I think.. Also, the zoas I got last week are still closed. One was partially open when I came in, but they're all closed up tight. Weird huh? They were open and flowey at the LFS, and they closed up during transport, closed during acclimation but then they opened right up when I got them into the tank. What gives?

Anyway,

Nitrate - 5ppm

Nitrite - 0ppm

Ammonia - 0ppm

pH - 8.3

Salinity - 1.023

Temp - 78.0

Anything else I should be checking? I've been doing 15% changes every Monday, gunna skip this week and get on a 2 week schedule as the parameters haven't fluctuated at all. I test daily.

Sooooo uhhhhh yeah, any advice on CUC members that may not die would be greatly appreciated :)

FTS and close up of closed corals.

4417668152_23529a683d_b.jpg

4417668270_44bdabcca3_b.jpg

4417668298_60c4b46d20_b.jpg

Just looking at the tank for any sign of pests on the Zoas, I spotted what looked like an isopod kinda rooting around in their general area.. It was slender and grey.. kind of looked like a rolly-poly, or pillbug. It was just minding it's own business going in and out of the LR. Could that be what is bothering them?

don't know is an isopod is considered safe in a pico...I doubt that's what it is though. could be anything from lighting time, intensity to flow intensity. I hope you preformed some sort of dip on your zoas before you plopped them into your tank lol. you dont want nudibranches and such in there. I recommend hydrogen peroxide for 5 min. add just enough to make the rock/zoas bubble.

don't know is an isopod is considered safe in a pico...I doubt that's what it is though. could be anything from lighting time, intensity to flow intensity. I hope you preformed some sort of dip on your zoas before you plopped them into your tank lol. you dont want nudibranches and such in there. I recommend hydrogen peroxide for 5 min. add just enough to make the rock/zoas bubble.

I did a FW dip on the whole rock they're on, put it in, shook it around, got all the debris off then left it in soaking for about 5 minutes. When I removed the rock, all that was in the bottom of the bucket was just sand and tiny pieces of LR. No pests, and I made sure to sift thoroughly.

I've also noticed small buds coming off of the "feet" of the polyps, as they're not stacked on top of one another I can see between them easily. It's not zoapox, they're nubs that look like they have a hint of green in them, like the skirts of the big guys. Maybe they're closed up because my change in light schedule from the LFS lights made them start reproducing? That'd be sweet!

how does ur gerbal water bottle ATO work? i amy use that idea to help with my evap problems.

It works great when it stays in it's holster =p All you have to do is find a good way to mount it and you're all set.

a FW dip can be problematic if you did not have FW that was at 8.3 pH or around there. if you used just straight up RO?DI water then your zoas might be pH shocked because they went from 8.3 pH store water to 7pH FW to 8.3 pH again...

It's one of the reasons I do not bother with FW dips, I'm too lazy to get the pH up.

a FW dip can be problematic if you did not have FW that was at 8.3 pH or around there. if you used just straight up RO?DI water then your zoas might be pH shocked because they went from 8.3 pH store water to 7pH FW to 8.3 pH again...

It's one of the reasons I do not bother with FW dips, I'm too lazy to get the pH up.

Very true, I didn't even think about pH shock... I just used plain old RO/DI so that may be it. But just for the 5 minutes they were in there could shock them? Funny as we're talking about this they're starting to open up. Two of them have opened up maybe 3mm, and the rest of them are starting to show green in their little holes, so maybe they'll open up within the hour. I upped the temp of the tank to 79.5-80, it was at 77-78 before. Maybe they liked that?

idk ,we'll see.

the buds you are speaking of sound like new zoas growing.

I've been having an opening issue with my rhodactis shroom recently...so you're not alone here lol!

idk ,we'll see.

the buds you are speaking of sound like new zoas growing.

I've been having an opening issue with my rhodactis shroom recently...so you're not alone here lol!

Well, thanks for all the input, and the best of luck to you with your rhodactis! I hope more polyps are growing.. that'd be sweet :)

seems like everything is coming along nicely then :D new zoas are always great! :) love the purple and the green tho :) maybe 2cerith snails and a blue leg hermit? got any idea on fish yet? :happydance:

seems like everything is coming along nicely then :D new zoas are always great! :) love the purple and the green tho :) maybe 2cerith snails and a blue leg hermit? got any idea on fish yet? :happydance:

I think I'm going to start with one small goby or a blenny, dunno for sure yet though. I already have a red leg dwarf hermit and a bumble bee snail. Gunna get a couple nessarius I think..

My Zoas still won't open.. :( They were slightly open when I got in this morning, but now they're all closed up tight. Still no sign of pests, and like I said, when I grabbed them from the LFS they were all open and happy. They were in a huge display tank though with some mean Metal Halides on it, so maybe they're still getting used to the PCs.

Maybe the zoas aren't getting enough light? The are they're in is pretty well lit, but they're not at the top of the tank by any means. Can I pry them off the rock and put them on another piece of LR? They're in kind of a bad spot for being moved, it's like they're stuck in there really. The rock they're on now can only go in one way.

Nitrate - 5ppm

Nitrite - 0ppm

Ammonia - 0ppm

pH - 8.3

kH - 180(ish)ppm

Temp - 80.2

Salinity - 1.023

you can prabably bump ur salinity to 1.024 <--but that shouldnt be a problem. is there enough flow that gets to the zoa? maybe its just stressed. even after 2weeks and it hasnt open then there might be a problem.

They've only been in there since Thursday, so 5 days. They tend to open halfway throughout the day, but then close up again. As far as flow, I have the AC70 with fuge mod, so I think the flow is good enough?

Edit: I just cranked up my AC70 all the way, let's see what happens.

are you running anything like chemi-pure elite or active carbon in your filter? it might be toxins that the Zoas emit upon initial introduction to your tank or w/e they're annoyed.

are you running anything like chemi-pure elite or active carbon in your filter? it might be toxins that the Zoas emit upon initial introduction to your tank or w/e they're annoyed.

Live rock rubble/chaeto in the AC70 with some floss, that's it.

such as the two things I mentioned above. your readings look good, but if you feel the need to change water then go ahead. I hope they get better soon..

such as the two things I mentioned above. your readings look good, but if you feel the need to change water then go ahead. I hope they get better soon..

Well I would change some of the water out to relieve the current amount of some of the toxin (assuming that's what's causing them to stay closed).

That makes sense, right? By doing a water change it would dilute the toxin if it's present. And would that affect my hermit or bumble bee either? They're both going about their business as normal today. The bumble bee even buried it's lower half in the substrate, but decided a rock would be more comfortable :)

it was only my guess, I have no idea why they are not opening. aside from pH shock that is.. just give them time i guess. and why can't you just add a tiny bag of active carbon? it's a good substitute for chemi-pure if you can't find that around you.

it was only my guess, I have no idea why they are not opening. aside from pH shock that is.. just give them time i guess. and why can't you just add a tiny bag of active carbon? it's a good substitute for chemi-pure if you can't find that around you.

I could, that'd be no big deal. Can I just get that at my LFS?

Archived