ReefCleaners.org

SaNChEz's First Pico (First Salt Too!)

sanchez

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay, I'll pick up the correct stuff this weekend when I go to teh LFS. I appreciate all the good advice and input you've given me, .Newman. :)

Edit: And ALNN too! And the rest!

Pick it up at walmart in the craft section. $3 for like a 2 year supply. Or pay $8 for a few handfuls of the same stuff at the lfs

Pick it up at walmart in the craft section. $3 for like a 2 year supply. Or pay $8 for a few handfuls of the same stuff at the lfs

Unfortunately, I live in Los Angeles, nearest WalMart is far enough to justify the few handfulls :(

Unfortunately, I live in Los Angeles, nearest WalMart is far enough to justify the few handfulls :(

lol that sucks!

car pool? with a group of people that need something? :P

lol that sucks!

car pool? with a group of people that need something? :P

Lol!

So this weekend, I went to a couple of the LFS near my house to ask their opinions of my closed zoas, both of them suggested I does Iodide, since I'm buying my salt, rather than mixing it myself (which is when I could incorporate trace elements and stuff). So I've started dosing 1 drop of iodide every other day until I'm at 5ppm which should be in just a few days lol. I've also gotten my Crystaline vitamin C in the mail, so if the iodide doesn't help then I'll start dosing that.

I picked up a 10 head green paly frag for $8 yesterday, I'll take some pics when it's opened up all the way, only half of them are open now. I also picked up 2 trochus snails, 2 ceriths and a bumble bee conch, who immediately buried himself, never to be seen again lol.

Hopefully my algae will become more managed with the addition of these guys.

I also got some frozen Mysis for Colonel Mustard (YWG) and I'm looking for a pistol shrimp to keep him company, but I haven't found one yet. He gobbles the mysis like there's no tomorrow. So much easier to feed than brine too!

Anyway, pics in a few minutes I have to do some Monday morning work anyway :)

Here's the Palys, just watched one of them eat a mysis shrimp, weirdest thing I've ever seen. Even more weird than the hermit changing shells lol.

4455034484_623b1ce00b_b.jpg

Heyyyyyy so, waddaya know! The Palys are closed up tight now too :) WHat am I doing wrong here, lol.

Nitrate - >5ppm

Nitrite - 0ppm

Ammonia - 0ppm

pH - 8.3

Salinity 1.024

Temp 78.0

They were so happy earlier, eating shrimps and being semi-colorful. Now they're mad and closed like the zoas. On another note, I saw the new zoa polyps (weird that they made new polyps but haven't opened yeah?) open up a wee bit for the first time. They're so tiny!

Anyway, more frustrations to come.

let me confirm something. you changed the lighting schedule for your zoa and paly right? cause i think i remember you saying you have the lights 1/2 off during your working period? if i;m wrong then nvm thats

do you have any Actinics lights?

your nitrAte should be 0

ummm i dont see any other problems hmmmm

let me confirm something. you changed the lighting schedule for your zoa and paly right? cause i think i remember you saying you have the lights 1/2 off during your working period? if i;m wrong then nvm thats

do you have any Actinics lights?

your nitrAte should be 0

ummm i dont see any other problems hmmmm

Lights are on for 13 hour, off for 11. They go on at 9:30AM and off at 10:30 PM. I have the Current USA 18w Power Compact, 9w white and 9w actinic with moonlight LED. My nitrates are close to 0, 1 or .5 lol. Its so close to 0 it's hard to tell.

The Paly has been opening and closing all day, about half and half.

I was just giving one of the Paly polyps a dust-off with my baster and while I was doing it it caught a small piece of mysis left over from the YWG's feeding this morning. Out of nowhere, this HUGE pod came out and snagged the mysis right out of the coral's mouth. This pod was bigger than a mysis shrimp. Should I remove it if I see it again? Good luck, right?

Added another drop of the Iodide today, all parameters still in check, zoas still not opening. The palys are semi-closed today, one of them made a big poop, which I guess is a good sign lol.

All of the snails I bought this past weekend are dead. Only the conch survived. 2 cerith, 2 trochus, They were happy for a day or two, then they just died. What's up with this, all my parameters check out, snails were acclimated for about 45 minutes. Ughhhh.

I guess sometimes you need a little bit of luck :(

I've put a total of 9 snails in the tank, a bumble bee snail, conch, 3 cerith 4 trochus. All but the bumble bee and the conch have died :( Makes me sad lol.

weird...could it be the dosing?,..i'm sure i wont be tho

give me a 10% w/c?>

I do WC every week, around 20% same thing.

snails are iffy from what I've heard from other owners. I have (knock on wood) not had any snail that I bought die yet...

• 2 weeks later...
so hows everything so far? :)

It's going alright, I think I'm done trying to get this tank working with the corals and stuff. It's working fine with my YWG, hermit and the two snails so I think I'm just going to leave it like that. I have a 24G aquapod at home now, so I'll focus on that with the corals, they seem to love it.

I'm just tired of spending money on this tank and having things die, especially when all the parameters are fine, and I'm doing water changes regularly. Makes no sense to me.

Why must it fail! There's no Aiptasia, no Cyano.. no GHA, no Bubble Algae.. It's perfect! Just something's not right..

Archived