Cultivated Reef

SaNChEz's First Pico (First Salt Too!)

sanchez

The salinity is the only thing I can't test right now, but my refractometer is arriving tomorrow woohoo! I'm gunna try to get some corals towards the end of the week, as well as my ATO, which I was supposed to do last week but didn't.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I came in today, my bumble bee was on the glass above the waterline, does that mean he's unhappy or something? Looked like he was going to jump!!

No, really though. What would cause the snail to go out of it's habitat?

No worries mate. Snails commonly go above the water line and usually don't go far.

No worries mate. Snails commonly go above the water line and usually don't go far.

Cool, hopefully he doesn't try it again :P

he might. I usually find both my ceriths on the center rock in my pico, but once (,literally only once since i got them) I found one crawling on the glass close to he surface and one went into my fuge against the AC 70 current too lol. snails are pretty crazy...

dont get anything until you can test with the refracto :)

I was just reading online about algae blooms and stuff, this had me worried. It started growing last week after my teeny tiny diatom bloom. is it Cyano, or algae? It's not all over everything, just started popping up in a couple spots in the tank.

It's only on the live rocks, not on the sand or glass. Maybe it's a pretty green coralline?

4404896528_3b5f728792_b.jpg

Also, I'm using about 1/2" of the sponge media that came with my AC70 as filter floss, is that cool? I cut the whole sponge into thirds so I would have some extra. I also wanted the live rock/sand/chaeto to do most of the filtration so it's really just to catch the big stuff that would be floating around.

just clean the sponge regularly and you shouldn't have any problems.

Cool, thanks for the info guys :) Keep it comin'!

I was just reading online about algae blooms and stuff, this had me worried. It started growing last week after my teeny tiny diatom bloom. is it Cyano, or algae? It's not all over everything, just started popping up in a couple spots in the tank.

It's only on the live rocks, not on the sand or glass. Maybe it's a pretty green coralline?

4404896528_3b5f728792_b.jpg

Also, I'm using about 1/2" of the sponge media that came with my AC70 as filter floss, is that cool? I cut the whole sponge into thirds so I would have some extra. I also wanted the live rock/sand/chaeto to do most of the filtration so it's really just to catch the big stuff that would be floating around.

If it fluoresces and is kinda neon green then its Coraline starting to grow. I have it like that on some newer dry rock that was added to my tank at a later time. It takes a while but slowly speckles of purple will follow.

If it fluoresces and is kinda neon green then its Coraline starting to grow. I have it like that on some newer dry rock that was added to my tank at a later time. It takes a while but slowly speckles of purple will follow.

Yeah it's pretty bright green, there's a couple spots where it's a little darker, but not much.

I set up my gerbil ATO with custom duct tape pouch today!

4407004918_e7846d1dd6_b.jpg

4406238917_f1c7a0a55f_b.jpg

New toys!!! I went to my LFS and they had a tiny little zoa colony on a big piece of live rock, so the guy charged me for the live rock and threw the coral in as a hitch hiker :) Did some aquascaping and here's how she sits now. Any ID on the zoa? They opened up about 3 minutes after putting them into the tank, I guess they like it :)

There's some interesting hitchers on this LR too, quite a few dusters so far.

NEW PARAMETERS!

Nitrate - 5ppm

Nitrite - 0ppm

Ammonia - 0ppm

pH - 8.3

Temp - 77.8

SALINITY!! (Woo!) - 1.023

4407573584_067a4ee73e_b.jpg

4407573532_017d46c00c_b.jpg

4407573568_e228fe3fac_b.jpg

Tank looks good bro!

Bruce

Thank ya!

I really like the one in your sig pic.. I want to get something like that for my apartment, but the 60g fresh is too much as it is :P

LOL we have the same XL gerbal bottle ATO, and i have that refractometer, its been great!

Yeah the refractometer was calibrated perfectly when I got it, didn't have to change a thing :)

My zoas are closing up, hopefully it's just for the night. I'm off work tomorrow, think my gerbil bottle will last until Monday?

Yeah the refractometer was calibrated perfectly when I got it, didn't have to change a thing :)

My zoas are closing up, hopefully it's just for the night. I'm off work tomorrow, think my gerbil bottle will last until Monday?

if theyre 100% full no doubt

Archived