Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

AJ_Tsin's Zeo 47g Shallow. NEW FTS

AJ_Tsin

I suggest you lay this coral down on it's side. Will expose more corallites to the light, grow more branches and get to the tabling aspect sooner.

Well Thank you. This is my first tabling frag so I wouldn't have known that. Seems logical.. good advice.

Edited by AJ_Tsin
+1

Excellent advice. I always try to set up new frags at least at an angle for maximum light exposure.

I can concur all the frags I have that are on an angle have several arms spiking out and the vertical ones have like only a couple shoots out the top.

Thanks again for the link.

I really liked this part.

"But do you know what's better than a nice little fast growing axial corallite? Several of them: Lay the frag down horizontally.

Laying down horizontally... that 2" frag now has tens of secondary corallites now exposed to better water flow and light (especially) for being out from under the "shadow" of the vertical orientation. On this horizontal branch you will get at least several new branches that will each grow at the same or better pace than the single axial branch of a vertically fixed branch.

But do you know what's better than several new branches growing from a horizontal 2" frag? Two times the number of branches! And we get this by simply splitting the branch in half bilaterally (like a bananna split). Thus... we get 4-6 new branches off of both pieces laying down horizontally with their cut sides face down... instead of just several from the whole uncut branch laying down horizontally.

But do you know what's better than 4-6 new branches off of a bilaterally split coral frag? 20+ branches! And we get this by instead sawing the 2"/5 cm frag into say five 10mm disks/wafers! (done with a thin wet tile saw blade or lapidary saw blade as some of you have seen Eric Borneman or myself do in frag workshops... see 2005 IMAC and/or MACNA DVDs).

Each wafer of stony coral can be placed on a new hard substrate with a dab of glue and the topside cut edge will be stimulated to cover with new tissue and form at least several (if not more) branches in the process."

But do you know what's better than 4-6 new branches off of a bilaterally split coral frag? 20+ branches! And we get this by instead sawing the 2"/5 cm frag into say five 10mm disks/wafers! (done with a thin wet tile saw blade or lapidary saw blade as some of you have seen Eric Borneman or myself do in frag workshops... see 2005 IMAC and/or MACNA DVDs).

Each wafer of stony coral can be placed on a new hard substrate with a dab of glue and the topside cut edge will be stimulated to cover with new tissue and form at least several (if not more) branches in the process."

I cant visually picture what the frags would look like as wafers. However I will try the "Banana Split" kind of method.

Or with yours if you don't want to cut on it yet, just lay it over the way it is, let it grow out some and try the splitting down the road.

I will definitely lay it. Especially considering the tabling factor.

IMG_0696.jpg

Here's an iPhone shot top down. You can see the everything colour up As the ULN environment begins to take effect.

Edited by AJ_Tsin
I cant visually picture what the frags would look like as wafers. However I will try the "Banana Split" kind of method.

i cannot at all picture how wafer acros would work. i trust anthony calfo implicitly, but can anyone provide a picture of how this works? i read through that entire R-C thread (interesting stuff), but despite several requests, there were no pictures of "acro wafers."

i cannot at all picture how wafer acros would work. i trust anthony calfo implicitly, but can anyone provide a picture of how this works? i read through that entire R-C thread (interesting stuff), but despite several requests, there were no pictures of "acro wafers."

Nor can I.

DivineStyler

This is a pretty random question... do you have a cat? I've been gathering quotes for my own shallow rimless (20 x 20 x 12 or 24 x 24 x 12), but I'm really afraid my cat is going to jump in it.

She's constantly fixated my JBJ 12 already. Pretty sure she's hopped up on it before!

This is a pretty random question... do you have a cat? I've been gathering quotes for my own shallow rimless (20 x 20 x 12 or 24 x 24 x 12), but I'm really afraid my cat is going to jump in it.

She's constantly fixated my JBJ 12 already. Pretty sure she's hopped up on it before!

I do actually. Never had a problem.

However this is a bad example cause she has never had any interest in fish.

DivineStyler
I do actually. Never had a problem.

However this is a bad example cause she has never had any interest in fish.

Thanks! Beautiful tank by the way!

I'm using a combination of your tank and a RC member "asl4me76" tank as the design inspiration for my own. My footprint will just be a bit smaller and I'll be running the ecoxotic LED fixture.

Thanks! Beautiful tank by the way!

I'm using a combination of your tank and a RC member "asl4me76" tank as the design inspiration for my own. My footprint will just be a bit smaller and I'll be running the ecoxotic LED fixture.

I'll have to check out his tank. I am jealous of your LED fixture. I definitely want to buy one of these in the near future.

No idea where to buy this stuff in Canada though.

I have looked around but cannot find any pictures of acro wafers in action. However reading what Anthony is saying;

"Each wafer of stony coral can be placed on a new hard substrate with a dab of glue and the topside cut edge will be stimulated to cover with new tissue and form at least several (if not more) branches in the process."

wafer.bmp

I am guessing he means the white area in the picture is where the new flesh (yellow) would gow over and because there would be many corallites there the natural branching would occur. Plus the number of wafers you would get from a branch multiplied by the exposed (eventually) corallites would give you many more branches to frag off.

I have looked around but cannot find any pictures of acro wafers in action. However reading what Anthony is saying;

"Each wafer of stony coral can be placed on a new hard substrate with a dab of glue and the topside cut edge will be stimulated to cover with new tissue and form at least several (if not more) branches in the process."

wafer.bmp

I am guessing he means the white area in the picture is where the new flesh (yellow) would gow over and because there would be many corallites there the natural branching would occur. Plus the number of wafers you would get from a branch multiplied by the exposed (eventually) corallites would give you many more branches to frag off.

I kind of figured it would look like that.

Thanks for the info although that method helps for propagation of several frags I think laying it down may work better to grow a single frag into a colony.

Thanks for the info.

......Thanks for the info although that method helps for propagation of several frags I think laying it down may work better to grow a single frag into a colony......

Agreed.

I plan on buying an LED light and an Aqua-controller soon. Any opinions on which to get?

I have no idea which LED fixture to get, but it has to be comparable to a 250watt halide and I would like to have blues and whites operate separately.

For a controller I am looking at a Digtal Aquatics Reefkeeper. No idea wether I should go lite or Elite.

Any thoughts?

wafer.bmp

ya, i mean -- it makes sense. i guess i'd just like to see it before i start hacking away at my 6" branchless stick of green slimer.

4292283346_03b98ee9a5_b.jpg

edit: changed out picture for a shot of just the slimer

Edited by timdanger