ReefCleaners.org

Violinist's 20 Hex

violinist

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah sorry. So much for a relaxing day off.

Put the ac30 on the 20 long to try and suck up some of the calcium precip from my overdose. Also did a 5g WC on the tank. Unnecessary according to the RK article on overdosing, but it made me feel better. My ph is at 8.3, so according to the article it's just a matter of waiting for the excess calc to fall out of solution and no long term harm.

Finally got the angel in the hex. My 4 stripe, who was playing nice with the clowns, decided that a fish 3x his size would make for a good fight. So I tried and tried to net him out of the tank and take him up to the long. Jesus christ what a massive pain in the ass. Ultimately I ended up draining out 2/3rd's of the tank, netting him and moving him, and then refilling the tank and cleaning up the mess.

So the 4 stripe is upstairs in what I am now calling The Murder Box. A dotty back, two azure damsels and a 4 stripe damsel. Thank god the blenny has a lot of caves to hide in.

The hex now has the clown pair and the angel. Pics and a short (shakey) video forthcoming.

He ate some flake and some Rod's Food and is happily swimming around. The clowns seem happy as well and no one is chasing anyone around now that the damsel is out. So hopefully he's going to last a good long time.

oooooooooooooh i like! ^_^

Thanks, it's certainly a beautiful fish. They are coral nippers, but since the plan is for some nems and plating monti's (and I've read they are ok with montis) I thought it would make a nice addition. Plus it's major eye candy for a family room tank. Add in some 'look it's nemo!' and the hex should make for happy guests.

I've been subjected to that torment a few times, my little sister loved it, and when we'd go on road trips It'd be played two or three times in succession... It was actually alright the first time ever, but when things are repeated... oh my.

I hate those frigging cartoons. Many friends with children try to tell me that one cartoon or another is so great, rent it. Inevitably I either fall asleep half an hour into it or just turn it off.

Only cartoons I thought were any good were Wall-E and the part of Up I watched (before I fell asleep).

Thanks, Lou. Hoping to get some caps grown out like in yours.

Was up early working already and when the sun came up he started swimming around in the tank. Hurray for not dying!

Switched to seachem's PhosGuard. Starting to look like this is going to take every day of the two month's imcosmokramer said it took him to get past the marco rock algae blues. Damn it.

Switched to seachem's PhosGuard. Starting to look like this is going to take every day of the two month's imcosmokramer said it took him to get past the marco rock algae blues. Damn it.

I haven't used phosguard, but it is a good product, from what I've heard. I still use GFO for phosphate control and it works well, so I won't be switching. Looking forward to see how it works for you. The winning solution for me has been running GFO, High quality carbon and Seachem Purigen.

Maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread, but have you considered adding an HOB skimmer for better nutrient control? I am an undying fan of Deltec HOBs - I have the MCE600 and it is a monster! I would gladly pay the premium on these skimmers for the excellent job they do.

I really really like the rock work a lot. I hope your angel behaves itself better than my half black did. Mine did ok with coral for a while, then one day I caught him killing a monti cap frag. He had the tissue cleaned off of it within minutes. After that I guess he got a taste for it because he wouldn't leave any of my corals alone. Had to tear the tank apart to get him out (50 gal).

Maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread, but have you considered adding an HOB skimmer for better nutrient control? I am an undying fan of Deltec HOBs

Are they quiet? I would run a skimmer but it would have to be no louder than this ac70 (and preferably no louder than the ac30 which I couldn't hear at all). Right now I just have the ac70 with floss, the phosphate remover and a big wad of chaeto.

I really really like the rock work a lot. I hope your angel behaves itself better than my half black did. Mine did ok with coral for a while, then one day I caught him killing a monti cap frag. He had the tissue cleaned off of it within minutes. After that I guess he got a taste for it because he wouldn't leave any of my corals alone. Had to tear the tank apart to get him out (50 gal).

Really? I had read they don't bother caps which is all I had planned on adding to this tank as far as coral goes.

It keeps swimming up and down chasing its reflection. At this rate coronary arrest might preclude any future coral nipping.

Yeah, hubby and I put the frag into the tank, walked away for a few, came back to check out the tank and the angel was picking the rest of the tissue off. After that happened we noticed him nipping at zoas/palys and chomping the hell out of a frogspawn. Bummer. I love dwarf angels but after that experience I'm really hesitant to try another.

Are they quiet? I would run a skimmer but it would have to be no louder than this ac70 (and preferably no louder than the ac30 which I couldn't hear at all). Right now I just have the ac70 with floss, the phosphate remover and a big wad of chaeto.

They're as quiet as any skimmer will ever be. Of course there's the occasional hissing when the air intake tube gets salt build up, but nothing that can't be fixed with a good warm RODI water rinse. The Aquabee pump is absolutely silent. Since it is placed inside the body of the skimmer, it helps with the noise, not to mention the fact that you won't have to look at an ugly pump hanging inside your display.

Oh, and the angel will not bother caps... there's nothing soft for them to nip there.

They're as quiet as any skimmer will ever be. Of course there's the occasional hissing when the air intake tube gets salt build up, but nothing that can't be fixed with a good warm RODI water rinse. The Aquabee pump is absolutely silent. Since it is placed inside the body of the skimmer, it helps with the noise, not to mention the fact that you won't have to look at an ugly pump hanging inside your display.

Oh, and the angel will not bother caps... there's nothing soft for them to nip there.

You know, that's what I thought, until I actually saw it happening. ;)

I'm not saying it's likely, but individual fish are all different and the possibility exists.

Asked my wife to pick up some algae sheets and a clip while she was out. The angel didn't seem to be into the rod's food last night (though he ate some the day before).

So now I have an uber-lame nemo clip in my tank and a sheet of algae hanging from it which is being completely ignored.

I would bleach this tank before posting a picture of it with a nemo clip inside it, so don't even ask!

Archived