inTank Media Baskets

Violinist's 20 Hex

violinist

Well, what a plot twist. The starfish I thought was lying in one spot because he was on the way out is actually having some dinner. It is laying across a couple of pieces of LR behind the main rock column, and moved enough so that beneath its mouth I can see the upside down snail it is devouring.

I love these tanks. A thousand times more interesting than freshwater.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to MWC to pick up some snails for the long, ended up leaving with a bit more. For the hex, a little half inch long 6 line. This guy is in wrasse nirvana with all the holes in the marco rock. Zooming in and out.

wrasse.jpg

Here's a better pic of the 4 stripe:

4stripe.jpg

The short bus crew:

clowns.jpg

And finally, a small sea hare. This thing will get way too big and I have a friend with a few hundred gallons worth of reef in his basement which I'll give it to (barring a larger tank of my own by then). But for now, I'm expecting it to do some serious algae damage.

Unfortunately all you get to see is the back end since it parked itself in a hole:

seahare.jpg

Tweezers, scissors and good timing - starfish was at the top of the tank and is now at the bottom minus one leg lol. And the harlequin in the 20L is happily munching away. Will be interesting to see how fast they regen their legs. Maybe I'll be able to milk the food supply for a while.

Well the mod'd ac70 is on with chaeto and floss. I am pretty sure I'm going to catch some griping. I have the tv on and I can hear the stupid thing over the tv...

Also I haven't seen my 6 line all day. If I lost another ####ing 6 line I'm going to flip.

edit: alright he's in a hole in the rocks, just sitting there sort of doing the mouth breathing thing. I tossed some flake in but he hasn't come out. This blows, he better be ok and just chilling out.

edit edit: thank god, he's out and about. I feel like a total ##### getting upset about a fish lol, but he's a wicked cool little fish.

he is a wicked cool fish, I love my six line, best fish in my tank :)

and yes my ac70 fuge takes up a whole side, but it also has a white tube instead of the impeller assembly and acts as a return area for my sump:

:P

DSCN2113.jpg

weird, is the impeller like grinding up against the top sheild? Mine is quiet as all get out! All I hear is the water hitting the tank.....and get microbubbles like a sob....>_>

I don't get any bubbles, but aren't you running a skimmer inside yours?

It's just a rattling sound. Part of it is the lid, but even with the lid off I can hear it a bit. I can't isolate the source. If I lift the unit away from the tank I can still hear it. I might just mod my ac30 if she complains. That was silent and there is room enough in it for the chaeto.

and yes my ac70 fuge takes up a whole side, but it also has a white tube instead of the impeller assembly and acts as a return area for my sump:

Yeah it just fits. I wonder if I couldn't just get a siphon going which would get the water flowing w/o need for a running pump? Even dialed down the flow is a bit much (and completely unneeded by the tank itself).

yea im runnin a skimmer, but i unplugged the ac70 and noticed the microbubble count went DOWN looooowwwww. I think it is because it hits the top of the water when it pours in. /shrug ;3

You definitely get bubbles if there's a waterfall breaking the surface, though I wouldn't call them micro like a skimmer makes. Wonder if turning off the ac70 just means less bubbles are getting pushed out, not that less are being created. My skimmer stopped making micro bubbles after a few weeks, I'm sure yours will stop bugging you after a while heheh.

Well she just got home. I turned the dishwasher on to cover the sound lol, but we'll see once it's quiet if there is any commentary...

haha nice cover :) a siphon would only work if there was something to upset the water level equilibrium, then water would flow in thru the siphon. I dont need the impeller because I have a sump under my tank with the return going to the ac70 fuge.

I know, I know. But having had one inexplicably die before, I'm just bummed out that this one is already behaving like it's on the outs. I just hit the hex with some rod's food (fish crack) and all other inhabitants went ape#### as expected. This guy didn't even react.

my sixline was shy for the first few days, I even took out all the damsels I could catch so he wouldn't be stressed. mine's doing ok now, hope yours does well :) give him a few days.

:( I freaked out the first time I saw mine in its mucus bubble, I thought something was eating it already. Lets hope for a pleasant surprise in the morning. keep us updated

Archived