inTank Media Baskets

Billdemart's Inhuman Creation Station (20 High)

Billdemart

You don't need to be drip acclimating your corals. Floating for temp is nice, but I know there are guys on here who don't even do that. I've never equalized salinity between bag and tank for corals, but I am in the camp that floats them up to temp.

Not that you are hurting anything, but why waste the time really.

Get your cuc yet? More pics!!!

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You don't need to be drip acclimating your corals. Floating for temp is nice, but I know there are guys on here who don't even do that. I've never equalized salinity between bag and tank for corals, but I am in the camp that floats them up to temp.

Not that you are hurting anything, but why waste the time really.

Get your cuc yet? More pics!!!

Yeah I realized that as I was acclimating one of them while reading on another forum. I will probably do the temp float from now on.

Going to order my CUC when we get back from vacation. I've sent an email to John at Reef Cleaners already.

Not really more pics to take until I get some new frags. Will probably add some more in the coming weeks!

I also want a Plate coral.

Yeah I know Rit. Actually went over there to pick up some frags a couple weeks ago. He's got some amazing stuff. Great guy too! :)

Yeah he has some incredible frags over there. Amazing stuff. Very cool guy, agreed.

Quick question... I know this varies greatly I'm sure with a bunch of different factors but how fast do corals grow?

If you get a zoa frag with 3 heads how long will it take to be 50?

Quick question... I know this varies greatly I'm sure with a bunch of different factors but how fast do corals grow?

If you get a zoa frag with 3 heads how long will it take to be 50?

I guess it depends on the species but I would say 50 heads would take about a year.

I guess it depends on the species but I would say 50 heads would take about a year.

Wow, ok. I keep looking at it each day waiting for it to grow another head. My patience is terrible. I have this overwhelming feeling of "I need to add 50 more frags to the tank, it looks so lame."

Yeah, that's a pretty common feeling lol.

No rhyme or reason with zoa growth that I can see. Some frags grow like mad, a couple new polyps every few weeks. Some don't seem to spread at all.

One of the Zoa frags I have in my tank started at three heads. I've had it nearly a month now and it has eight although three of them are still really small. Weirdly they all seemed to sprout up at once. However my other zoa frag started at four bought the same day and now has five. The most growth I've seen is on my pocillopora. It started out with having 6 points and now has about 13. It is constantly growing and every day you can see the white growth points, I'm really impressed with how good its doing in such a new tank. My Montipora is growing as well but very slowly. The hammer coral is the one I really can't tell about. I've noticed the tentacles have extended more than when I first got it but skeleton wise I don't think its grown. My green hairy mushroom grew almost as soon as I put him in my tank, I claim abuse on the LFS's part that had him in the shade without any light and probably very little flow. As according to the Live aquaria site they require moderate to high lighting and medium flow. For $10 I couldn't help but save him from his torture. I like how your tank is looking. Hope it turns out really nice and I bet things will be much better with that new light. Happy reefing.

Yeah, that's a pretty common feeling lol.

No rhyme or reason with zoa growth that I can see. Some frags grow like mad, a couple new polyps every few weeks. Some don't seem to spread at all.

It's brutal.

One of the Zoa frags I have in my tank started at three heads. I've had it nearly a month now and it has eight although three of them are still really small. Weirdly they all seemed to sprout up at once. However my other zoa frag started at four bought the same day and now has five. The most growth I've seen is on my pocillopora. It started out with having 6 points and now has about 13. It is constantly growing and every day you can see the white growth points, I'm really impressed with how good its doing in such a new tank. My Montipora is growing as well but very slowly. The hammer coral is the one I really can't tell about. I've noticed the tentacles have extended more than when I first got it but skeleton wise I don't think its grown. My green hairy mushroom grew almost as soon as I put him in my tank, I claim abuse on the LFS's part that had him in the shade without any light and probably very little flow. As according to the Live aquaria site they require moderate to high lighting and medium flow. For $10 I couldn't help but save him from his torture. I like how your tank is looking. Hope it turns out really nice and I bet things will be much better with that new light. Happy reefing.

Thanks! Yeah as soon as I get back from this trip I'm going to order everything else on my list (dry goods etc. not livestock wants) and get this thing rolling.

Moved one of the zoas and the palys up on the rocks/closer to the lights/out of the flow.

Instant returns. The Palys look way better and the zoas are open way more than they ever have before.

Pics:

036-2.jpg

057-1.jpg

030-1.jpg

046-2.jpg

029-1.jpg

042-1.jpg

Starfish!!!:

054-1.jpg

Chalice???

062-1.jpg

040-1.jpg

038-2.jpg

OClownsandNanos

Looking great - excited to see your coral growth in the upcoming months. Think I'm gonna stay away from zoas for the time being, so I'll just drool over yours. :)

Sweet tank. Those astrean stars spread fast man. I've heard mixed opinions on them. I just throw them into my sump whenever I see one.

The star is my wife's favorite thing in the tank. I told her I might have sucked him up while I was doing a water change the other day and she freaked out. I said I'd just get another one and she said it wouldn't be the same. Haha.

Looking great - excited to see your coral growth in the upcoming months. Think I'm gonna stay away from zoas for the time being, so I'll just drool over yours. :)

Thank you. You and me both. I will be getting more and more zoas too hopefully in the next few months to keep you and I happy.

its turning out very nicely, I have a cup coral that just now started growing, i've had it for over a year, and six months under MH. I have some mushrooms tho that in two months had only one new one and now there's three :D corals grow when they feel like it it seems.

oh and what you have labeled as a chalice looks like it could also be a ric, but its a blurry pic so I cant really tell.

its turning out very nicely, I have a cup coral that just now started growing, i've had it for over a year, and six months under MH. I have some mushrooms tho that in two months had only one new one and now there's three :D corals grow when they feel like it it seems.

oh and what you have labeled as a chalice looks like it could also be a ric, but its a blurry pic so I cant really tell.

Good to know about the slow growing corals. Guess I'm just going to have to procure a ton of small frags ;)

Sorry about the blurry pic. The frag is so freaking small I can't get any of our crappy cameras to take a good pic of it. It's like a Lavender color on the outside with like a light green in the middle and these REALLY tiny tentacle looking things that slip out between the purple "arms"

I was just guessing what it was. I got it from an ARC member and can't remember what he called it.

Your "chalice" actually looks like a blasto merletti to me, one of my favorites.

I will look that up, thanks :D

I am out of town for 3 days with no lights on my corals. I didn't have time or equipment to set up the timer and an ATO deal so I hope they don't mind no lights for 3 days. I couldn't work it out any other way. Worried about it :o

Ah I think you are right Weeta. Looked up some images and some of them definitely look like what I've got. Does it just grow into one big coral or does it multiply like a polyp?

Just ordered the T5 fixture, the BRS Reactor, Chemi-Pure Elite, and Purigen... Ugh. I am spending money like mad.

About to order the CUC from John at Reef Cleaners.

It's a sickness really.

It is a sickness. This forum is just a big support group.....

----------

Looking like you are off to a good start. I aim to follow this one. I like those zoas a lot!

Ah I think you are right Weeta. Looked up some images and some of them definitely look like what I've got. Does it just grow into one big coral or does it multiply like a polyp?

They grow new heads, the same size as the original one.

They will grow faster if you feed the heads defrosted frozen mysis.

Just put one piece in the middle of the head, preferably after lights out.

The head will slowly close and envelop it.

Which T5 fixture did you end up going with?

What bulbs are you getting with it?

Also, your tank will be fine without lights for 3 days.

Just keep it really well covered to keep water evaporation and salinity swings under control.

This probably sounds goofy, but when in your situation I cover my tank really well with plastic wrap.

They grow new heads, the same size as the original one.

They will grow faster if you feed the heads defrosted frozen mysis.

Just put one piece in the middle of the head, preferably after lights out.

The head will slowly close and envelop it.

Which T5 fixture did you end up going with?

What bulbs are you getting with it?

Also, your tank will be fine without lights for 3 days.

Just keep it really well covered to keep water evaporation and salinity swings under control.

This probably sounds goofy, but when in your situation I cover my tank really well with plastic wrap.

Can I feed that tiny head? I'll try it. Should be fun. How do you do that by the way? Where do you buy your food? I've read about Rods food, mysis, etc.

I ended up going with the one we talked about. It comes with these stock bulbs. I'll try those for a while and see how they work:

AquaticLife™ 24 Inch T5 High Output Lamps with 2 Lunar LED`s

T5 HO Light Fixtures These AquaticLife™ T5 HO fixtures offer 420/460 nm, 700+ nm and Lunar light in one streamlined unit.

* Timer controls T5 HO Fluorescent Lamps and Lunar LED`s independently.

* Adjustable width Aquarium Frame Mounts support fixture above the aquarium.

* Gloss finish front side compliments the matte finish on top and ends of the fixture.

* German-made specially angled reflector maximizes light by directing it into the aquarium.

* Suspension Ports allow connection to optional cables for various mounting configurations

* Four Sleek Fixtures

Lamps Included:

* (2) 24" T5 HO 39W 420/460 Lamps

* (2) 24" T5 HO 39W 700+ Lamps

* (2) 1W Lunar LED`s

Glad to hear about the no light deal. I have the glass on the top and the fuge is covered by it's light as well. Shouldn't be much evaporation hopefully. I never thought about the plastic wrap. I should have done that. Oh well, we will be back Sunday afternoon.

Somehow I ordered the wrong fixture. I tried to cancel it with Marine Depot immediately but they didn't respond for like 12 hours and then said it was too late and they already shipped it.

It's the Tek Hood 4x24, which is about the same price except it doesn't come with any bulbs. I'm assuming this hood is better? I guess I have to pay 100 bucks or so to get the bulbs in and it won't have a moonlight or a timer though like the other hood.

Should I return this and get the AquaticLife one or is this hood so much better that I just keep it and add athe bulbs, add the moonlights, and add a timer?

Thanks,

Bill

Archived