inTank Media Baskets

Uhuru Part II - ADA 120-P w/overflow

Uhuru

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike,

Any updates? I am aiming for my next build to be something like this. Seagrass lagoon look.

Have you thought about a angel in this? Have you chosen a lighting fixture?

-Dave

Mike (Aquabacs) - I'll let you know when I'm ready to add them. I know Phishy can get them too.

Dave - I'm just gonna stain/seal the stand this weekend. I haven't chosen a light fixture yet. I was thinking of the new Tek elite, or the new LET lighting fixtures. Neither is on the market yet though. I could always just go with a 4 bulb sunpower.

I have thought about adding an angel. I actually have 2 dwarf angels in a 150g tub right now. My concern is that they might be too aggressive.

I am not sure if I can stick to a true biotope. It may have a theme but I might add some NPS gorgs and some crinoid feather stars. I think they would still look really cool with the seagrass and mangroves.

I get them through Jason @ Greenwich. I am actually going over there in a few minutes. Give him a call when you are looking for them.

Mike

He had a few garden eels in and blue eyes. For non-photo stuff he had 2 nice black sun corals and 2 small chili corals with yellow polyps.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Tagging along as well...OSFF in a planted tank, I have to keep an eye on this (anxious for photos). How long have you had the OSFF on prepared foods now?

I'm having second thoughts about the garden eels. Just looking @ the tank I think it would take up too much vertical space. The tank is only 18" tall and having half of that filled with sand would look awkward. What y'all think?

MWP - the osff has been eating prepared for about 6 mos. He's getting better at eating whole mysis now. Pretty cool how they learn and adapt. It's definitely his food of choice over flakes but he still eats both.

quick and dirty shot of the osff in the QT tank @ night - he usually goes and sticks himself in a corner but I caught him still swimming around tonight

_MG_0331.jpg

ok back to studying for midterms!!

Looks nice! Love the OSFF! How did you get him to eat prepared foods? Or did he just start to eat on his own?

Thanks! I got him from a local reefer that was moving out of state. He did all the hard work :)

I love OSFF! He looks great!

Thanks!

it's gonna be interesting to see if that osff reverts back to its natural diet once in the tank with corals.

Well, they prefer acropora polyps... I don't really think I will have any in this tank. However - if I do keep any corals he could indeed acquire a taste for them just as he acquired a taste for prepared foods. For sure he likes to pick at stuff. I have some LR in the QT tank and he will pick flakes and mysis that gets caught in the holes and crevices in there. I've also seen him pick at the algae occasionally. The safest corals would probably be softies and really long polyp corals like dendrophyllia or duncans.

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news....

The QT tank that is housing my fish right now has ich. I am getting ready to treat with copper. Just waiting to hear back from seahorsedreams on any experience she might have with OSFF's and copper. *The OSFF does not have any lesions at this time*

On another note...

Plans have changed (don't they always?). This is going to be another non-photo tank. I was looking at it and it's just too shallow for garden eels. I would only have about 8-9" of vertical space after the sand bed. I could go with a planted tank still, but after lots of thought I realized that I want to keep collecting NPS corals. I also recently acquired a super ultra rare deep water coral... right now it's in a 150g tub but I really want this in my new tank.

animalmaster6
Bad news....

The QT tank that is housing my fish right now has ich. I am getting ready to treat with copper. Just waiting to hear back from seahorsedreams on any experience she might have with OSFF's and copper. *The OSFF does not have any lesions at this time*

On another note...

Plans have changed (don't they always?). This is going to be another non-photo tank. I was looking at it and it's just too shallow for garden eels. I would only have about 8-9" of vertical space after the sand bed. I could go with a planted tank still, but after lots of thought I realized that I want to keep collecting NPS corals. I also recently acquired a super ultra rare deep water coral... right now it's in a 150g tub but I really want this in my new tank.

Sorry about the bad news :( Hopefully Renee will answer soon :)

NPS Corals are really cool!

Have any other livestock plans?

It's like this but all black:

black_coral.jpg

Looks more like a small tree than any coral I've seen - but of course it's non-photosynthetic.

Cupramine treatment starts tonight. Wish me luck!

Bad news....

On another note...

Once you are hooked on NPS corals there is no going back :lol:

I would really would like to see this "super ultra rare deep water coral" as you know I am a NPS coral fiend...where do you live again? :D

Mike

Haha you can have a frag if you come out to Ohio or I'll send you one. I'd actually like to get this in someone else's hands in case something happens with mine. I'll try to get some pics soon. It's not in the best shape right now to be honest, as it was picked up by someone "on accident" and has been through a lot.

Archived