ReefCleaners.org

Uhuru Part II - ADA 120-P w/overflow

Uhuru

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on RC TOTM....that's a real accomplishment IMO.

Beautiful tank...you sure have provided the community with a lot of great information + fantastic photos.

Beautiful tank!

Just wondering if you have better pics of how you mounted your LED lights on your ADA. It looks clean from the pictures. What fixture is it? Link?

Thanks again everyone!

Maeda, the blueberry gorg that I have seems to be some kind of variant. In almost every aspect it looks the same as your typical blueberry, but up close, each polyp has a brown base instead of a blue one:

typical example (not mine, pic from http://www.michiganreefers.com/forums/phot...gorgonian.html: ):

DSC_0252_crSmall.jpg

now here's a pic of mine:

_MG_1499.jpg

See the difference in the base? I don't know if this makes a difference, but the reason I got it was because I wanted to see if this variant was perhaps hardier. So far it has done very well, but its only been 3 or 4 months. It is sensitive to other coral stings, even weak ones, so any part of it that is too close to any other coral will die off.

In terms of care, I don't do any target feeding. Matter of fact I don't target feed any corals anymore. They are all broadcast fed. I find that I actually overfeed my corals if I target feed them. Even with tubastrea, I never have problems getting even new ones to open, simply by placing them in the tank and giving them time. I believe when we target feed we often use foods that are bigger than they eat in nature, and for me target feeding does more damage than good. Rhizotrochus typus is the exception. They handle target feeding of larger foods much better.

I can't wait to pollute my tank. :)

Sometimes I feel like i'm feeding things that require more energy to eat and digest than they provide for the coral. I guess this could easily be the case for NPS too.

I'm setting up some automation now... I'll probably be bombarding you with questions soon.

My house has been eating up all my time, and DIY brain power.

Nice blueberry. One of my favorite corals. I just got one from the lfs but something happened during shipment and it was held up so it lost about 65% of it. Took a week to finally open up but starting to come back. I'm sure in your tank you'll get rapid growth.

Great thread.. just read all of it in one sitting. Do you think that your automated feeding set up will be helpful to an SPS tank.. of course at lower doses?

If so, can you show some detailed pictures of how you ran the lines through/from the mini fridge?

I'm interested in automating my tank as much as possible.

Thanks and beautiful tank!

Great thread.. just read all of it in one sitting. Do you think that your automated feeding set up will be helpful to an SPS tank.. of course at lower doses?

If so, can you show some detailed pictures of how you ran the lines through/from the mini fridge?

I'm interested in automating my tank as much as possible.

Thanks and beautiful tank!

Yes, it would be great for an SPS tank if you can control the nutrient levels. The food sizes are going to be similar as well.

I'll look for pics of the refrigerator setup later.

Hey I saw a brown based blueberry on diver's den. Looks similar to yours.

Brown based blueberry

Yep, they pop up every now and then. I really don't know if they are any hardier but its worth a try. I used to have an orange one that looked very similar to a blueberry just different color. Was one of my favorite gorgs and did very well for me but I lost it in the tank move.

I can't wait to pollute my tank. :)

Sometimes I feel like i'm feeding things that require more energy to eat and digest than they provide for the coral. I guess this could easily be the case for NPS too.

I'm setting up some automation now... I'll probably be bombarding you with questions soon.

My house has been eating up all my time, and DIY brain power.

With your DIY skills I'm sure you will come up with some sick automation. Ask away, I'll help as much as I can. Are you still in Socal? I'm moving back there next year.

Yes, it would be great for an SPS tank if you can control the nutrient levels. The food sizes are going to be similar as well.

I'll look for pics of the refrigerator setup later.

Cool... Never thought I'd have to talk my wife into letting me get a mini-fridge for my new setup. :unsure:

• 1 month later...

Archived