ReefCleaners.org

Uhuru Part II - ADA 120-P w/overflow

Uhuru

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks again guys. Once I get the elos mini cleaned up I'll try to take an FTS with both tanks having the lights on. Not sure how my camera will handle that but we'll see.

Mike - A few more Q's. How are you regulating the ozone? Through a RKL or controller? Are you feeding less food than you were when you first started? How many T5's are over the ADA?

You are also doing daily four gallon H20 changes on the LM3? The only fish you have are the bellus, blue eyed and red spots in there? Ant thoughts on moving the corals in the ELOS tank to the ADA? Rhizos and more dendros would look unreal!

I love my current tank but I have started to get board of it. With guys like yourself and Aquabacs, the NPS corals interests so much.

Sorry for all the questions, I hope I dont sound like a mom ;)

-Dave

Mike - A few more Q's. How are you regulating the ozone? Through a RKL or controller? Are you feeding less food than you were when you first started? How many T5's are over the ADA?

I use an RKL. I feed more than when I first started. The liquid phytoplankton dosing is much less though. I have shifted towards heavy feeding of FM foods and frozen foods.

You are also doing daily four gallon H20 changes on the LM3? The only fish you have are the bellus, blue eyed and red spots in there? Ant thoughts on moving the corals in the ELOS tank to the ADA? Rhizos and more dendros would look unreal!

Yes 4g/day with the LM3, which means its done in small amounts every 15 minutes. I don't have red spots in this tank. They are in my seagrass/fuge tank with the OSFF. I also have a yellow eye kole tang in this tank. Just like with SPS, fish poop is a good thing and he's got a lot of it. I also have a pair of sunburst anthias.

I love my current tank but I have started to get board of it. With guys like yourself and Aquabacs, the NPS corals interests so much.

Sorry for all the questions, I hope I dont sound like a mom ;)

I think you should keep growing the corals in your current tank. That shows a lot of good husbandry to get it to that point. If anything you should set up a NEW tank for NPS. This way if it doesn't work out the first few tries you will still have a nice tank to look at.

animalmaster6
I think you should keep growing the corals in your current tank. That shows a lot of good husbandry to get it to that point. If anything you should set up a NEW tank for NPS. This way if it doesn't work out the first few tries you will still have a nice tank to look at.

I agree. Dave's tank is stunning and I think he could pull off an NPS tank too.

Once my 125 is up and running I might even try an NPS tank. All because of you and Aquabacs.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I mentioned this in my elos thread but not in this thread... but I moved the corals from the elos over to this tank:

_MG_1080.jpg

_MG_1095.jpg

I think I can now say that most of the corals in this tank have been with me for over a year, several of them survived all my mistakes in the beginning.

Tomorrow I'll be getting a couple of waratah anemones and then I'll start adding some sponges for the elos mini. Oh yeah also an ORA neon dottyback to help with bristleworm control.

Man, your tanks just get better and better. It's pretty hard to look at this tank and not want to immediately break and try an NPS display... you make it seem so damn easy!

wow this tank is amazing. I pretty much picture read the thread to see how it turned. Sorry if has been asked before but have you considered to make a black acrylic piece to fit inside the the overflow and hide the PVC? it will match with the top overflow teeth also :) You can make it removable to ease the cleaning if needed. Just like SunnyX did in his last tank

Other than that, is amazing! The colors, the escape. Love the fridge with all the dosing pumps and stuff. I bet you put some serious $ into food daily.

Thanks I'm glad you guys like the pics!

Sammy that is great advice I don't know why I didn't think of that. I guess I didn't realize the acrylic would be removable and of course I didn't want to have to drain the tank to seal it in. I will ask a couple of guys in my club if they can help me with it.

Mike - I never got the email with the PP. Shoot it over in a PM if thats easier.

Again I am amazed by this tank. You have me wanting to pick up a 90-P from ADA and start one. Its seriously that impressive to me. Do you think running three MP10's is better than a MP40 and MP10?

You have four 6500K bulbs over it too?

-Dave

Dave - sent you a PM with my PP :)

I think 3 mp10's is better yes. I get a really good gyre going around the rockwork this way. Better would be 2 mp40's and 1 mp10, with the 2 mp40s towards the front and one mp10 towards the back.

I don't run 6500K bulbs anymore. That was when I was still considering doing mangroves with NPS. Now I run 1 aquablue special, 2 true actinic and 1 fiji purple.

ADA 90-P's are nice. Perfect dimensions. I only got the 120-P so I could have more options for fish. Make sure you get the newer ones if you go that route. They are much better quality.

• 3 weeks later...

Mike,

What do you think about running bio pellets on a nps tank?

You are currently carbon dosing currect?

I ordered my syringe pump from the link you gave me and it should be here soon. I plan to increase my feeding. My nitrates are around 15-20ppm. I'm also thinking about getting the reef octopus biopellet reactor. I hope with the reactor online I will be able to cut back to once a week 25% wc and still have managble nitrates and po4.

-Thai

Archived