inTank Media Baskets

My 28gal Nano Cube LED

cdr5y7

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so i gave the new pistol shrimp a few days and hes doing well. hes made several small tunnels and holes around the tank. not sure if him and the goby have paired yet but oh well. not like they going anywhere.

Friday i got 2 small frags of orange monti cap from a guy in Lawrence. they only about the size of a quarter but they glued in and well see how they grow.

i also had a small outbreak of hair Algae so iv been trying to counter that quick so it doesn't get back. the reason it was growing is my dumb a$$ put the fug light to come on when the main lights came off well that's 14hours that it would run. the chaeto i put in there had grown like crazy and was starting to die. not to mention hair Algae around the lights in the fug.

so i threw a timer on there and fixed the fug light, i did a few water changes, turned off the lights for a few days, scrubbed the rocks that i could, threw in a few snails and crabs, and took out some of the dead chaeto.

so after that i fell that its going down. tomorrow i think ill turn lights back on for a few hours and start from there. my Protein Skimmer should be in Thursday so will get that set up and start skimmer. i think that will help out a lot. so ill keep everyone updated in a few days once that skimmer comes in and we get things going.

give you a little bit of an update. picked up some frags last night. monti, monti cap, birds nest, and toadstool. will get pics tonight. also my goby has been breathing hard, hes eating but i think hes flippin out. iv never had good luck with gobys and dont know why. had 2 diamonds in my 75 and now this one. oh well i guess thats part of the hobby.

youll be glad you bought the LED. my buddy makes fun of me for this but iv noticed over the past week that a frag of zoas went from 3 to 6. they are growing like crazy.

well i guess i was too late the help the goby. i got home for lunch from work and he was dead and the shrimp was picking on him. he was fine at 8 this morning. so i guess it wasnt ment to be.

i guess things happen. so i do want to jump off topic and say the other day i picked up the jbj protein skimmer they make for the nano. and im very happy with it. had to break it in and now its working like a charm. i will say that for the money it does its job. obviously if you want to pull more out spending the 150 for the tunze is your choice. but i was very happy with the performance. it does what i need it to.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/prod...u=0070994000000

yes i put the skimmer in the chamber to the left of the center chamber. the directions i give are if your infront of the tank.

i know everyone says that jbj skimmer sucks and get the tunze but for the money this baby works. ill take a pic and show the crap its pulling out later. i mean thats all i want it for.

That's awesome.

My plan was to just do cheato in the basket, but it's good to know there's a skimmer option available in case I need it. For starters, I was just going to do softies/LPS.

yeah right now im running chaeto in there with a jbj nano glow light and then carbon and chemipure also. seems to be going well.

ya i mean they have other skimmers but id rather buy the 40 dollar one that works just as well and not have to mod media chamber vs spend 150 for a tunze.

oh yea. i made the mistake of running the light when the mains turned off. ya bad idea on my part cause it tripled in size in a week and then started to die. so i now run it only 4 hours every night around midnight. but i think its great. every 2 weeks have to take some of the chaeto out cause it grows so much.

youd just have to play around with it and find best amount for ya. ill check in a week and see how the 4 hours is doing may need to bump it up who knows.

so got home today and the fiance got me a early valentines day present. a beautiful midas blenny. nothing says i love you like a fish.

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_01091.jpg

started to frag a few things today see how everything goes.

IMG_01101.jpg

added a koralia 1 to the tank the other day so the fish are loving it. helps eliminate some of the dead spots. and also have been dosing with coral vite and osyter feast and so far the corals have exploxed in growth and color. pics to follow.

here is a pic with the K1 in there. i put it on the back wall cause i couldnt put the angle where i wanted the water flow. i wanted more flow to the middle of the tank so put it there. sorry i took this late last night.

k1addition.jpg

CDR awsome tank, I have to thank you for answering my questions in my post. I wanted to chime in here with couple thoughts. I put one of the oceanic nano skimmers and like you said about the jBj it works pretty well. Was wondering if you had thought about changing the basket to like what urbaneks was making

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=225857

Seems like it would be nice to increase the compartment for the chaelo and still have the carbon and chemi-pure.

Unfortunately I didn't know much about the nano world and bought this tank to replace a leaker that had been established for a while so now I'm trying stay a head of the game with water changes and fingers crossed.

Anyway keep up with the updates, very nice.

Hers a pic of mine I will try to get better shots later

post-50813-1266599142_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, what temp does your tank run naturally? Some of the nano's like that have heat issues and are pushing 80 with lights alone, I'm guessing with the LED that isn't a problem but I'm curious if you know what your normal temperature is without heating/cooling and with lights running normally.

I set my heater at 79'F and my tank never goes above it, with 8-10hour daylight.

My room temperature is 65-70'F. It's nice not to worry about over heating or having to leave the feeding lid open or propping up the hood like I had to on NC12dx

I guess the open filter area helps by providing some evaporation. I think if I increase water flow by using both pumps simultaneously (i.e. disable stock wave maker) it lowers tank temperature even more.

HTH

Hey, what temp does your tank run naturally? Some of the nano's like that have heat issues and are pushing 80 with lights alone, I'm guessing with the LED that isn't a problem but I'm curious if you know what your normal temperature is without heating/cooling and with lights running normally.

Archived