Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sublunary's 12 Gallons

sublunary

About a month ago one of the LFSs near me emailed a coupon for flaming prawn gobies. 2 weeks later, I walked in and was shocked to find they hadn't all sold. The guy working there said he'd give me the sale price and, well... I couldn't say no.

Your gobies are so awesome

Which LFS is it? I'm live in NJ and might have to check it out.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ocean Gallery II. This was a few weeks ago, so I have no idea if they have any left. This is the first time I know of them getting them in. I asked back in January and the guy said he'd never seen one before. They are a sponsor here actually, and I think they post coupons in their part of the forum.

I can't get this addiction, I won't see them! :lol: Unless I get 10 or 20 :mellow:

Haha. If you get 10 or 20, I'm coming to visit. A whole colony would be amazing.

AHHHHHHH!!!!! im so jealous. your a lucky man, a very lucky man

Well, very lucky woman. :) But thanks. I am suitably smug.

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend was fun! NJ Reef club had a fragswap, which they billed as a "mini MACNA". I think it lived up to expectations. I missed the first speaker, but got to see Richard Ross talk about his work at the Steinhart and Tony Vargas share some amazing pictures he took int he Phillipines. I barely got out of there without buying more frags than could fit in my tank. I particularly fell in love with a couple of "ultimate acans" by Pacific East Aquaculture - they were 4 different colored acan heads glued to the same frag plug. And they were gorgeous. I just had no where to put them.

And there were raffles! Thanks to beginners' luck I walked away with a TDS meter and a nice little frag of Jason Fox seasons greeting acan.

PB091975-1.jpg

That's not it's final placement, I'm trying to find the best place for it flow-wise. And it's colors are much more vibrant in person.

In other news, I finally figured out how to take actinic pictures without them being just BLUE.

PB091945-1.jpg

Now I just need to find a tripod to borrow, so I can get some sharper pics. My goal is to get a good pic of a FPG for this months POTM, because really, who has better fins than them?

PB091982-1.jpg

man cant believe u have three that is awesome. :)

:D I love them.

I'm really having fun watching them interact. The two small ones follow each other around the tank. The larger one will occasionally charge at the other two and chase them a few inches, but the little fish always hop right back. They definitely flick their fins at each other and shimmy. I thought it might be aggression, but some times they do it when they aren't even looking at eachother, so who knows.

I discovered one of the reasons they are occasionally so hard to find is that they sleep inside the rocks. Not just next to or between. INSIDE. It startled the heck out of me the first time one of them came flying out of a hole between some palys.

They also somehow excavated a shallow hole under a piece of rubble. I've read in several places that they aren't found in burrows, but mine really seem to love being in the sand. I've seen all three of them in there (not at the same time) and one fish will sometimes chase out the one in the hole and steal its spot. and, as I've been typing this, one of them has gone into and out of the hole about a dozen time. I should really clean the glass and try and get some video.

I was thinking about going to the swap, but I had decided to break down for good a few days before. you should come to the club meetings. They have em up north every 3 months. This months meeting should be up north, but I'm not sure.

I really love those gobies. I definitely want to get one of those when i start back up in a few years. You should try to breed them imo. ;)

You decided to break down for good again? I missed that. I thought the rehabilitation of the macro tank was still in progress.

I definitely want to go to a meeting. I missed the last one, and they haven't posted the November one yet as far as I can find. I don't even know what goes on at those. Have you been to any?

As for breeding, if I ever get fry you can bet I'll try to raise them. Sadly, no one seems to know anything about their sexual behavior or biology. And I don't even know what other species they are related to, so I'm kind of flying blind. How awesome would be it to captive breed these guys, though? It's a nice daydream.

I decided to start trying to raise my shrimp larvae, which will at least give me practice in trying to raise something. (Even if the gobies I have now never spawn, there will be fish breeding attempts in my future.) I don't think it will go very far, because of how hard scarlets are to raise, and the amount of time I don't have to devote to them. But at least it's something. I missed the hatch last night, because it usually happens around 10 and when there were no babies at 11, I figured I had the day wrong. But the other shrimp's batch should be hatching today, so I'll try out my snagger and setup and see how things go.

You decided to break down for good again? I missed that. I thought the rehabilitation of the macro tank was still in progress.

I definitely want to go to a meeting. I missed the last one, and they haven't posted the November one yet as far as I can find. I don't even know what goes on at those. Have you been to any?

As for breeding, if I ever get fry you can bet I'll try to raise them. Sadly, no one seems to know anything about their sexual behavior or biology. And I don't even know what other species they are related to, so I'm kind of flying blind. How awesome would be it to captive breed these guys, though? It's a nice daydream.

I decided to start trying to raise my shrimp larvae, which will at least give me practice in trying to raise something. (Even if the gobies I have now never spawn, there will be fish breeding attempts in my future.) I don't think it will go very far, because of how hard scarlets are to raise, and the amount of time I don't have to devote to them. But at least it's something. I missed the hatch last night, because it usually happens around 10 and when there were no babies at 11, I figured I had the day wrong. But the other shrimp's batch should be hatching today, so I'll try out my snagger and setup and see how things go.

well I am getting out, but now my parents want me to set up a low-maintenance 46 bow-front for them...

I went to the meeting in rockaway in august. I got there way too early tho. I got there on time, but I probably should have gotten there more like 3 hrs later. You do get to meet a lot of cool local reefers tho and theres a raffle at the end.

Good luck with the shrimps! raising larvae is really hard! I may try to raise clowns if mine breed and i'm there in time to take the eggs out.

Archived