inTank Media Baskets

Sublunary's 12 Gallons

sublunary

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lightning what?

lol, lighting, not lightning :P

My LED retrofit is waiting for me on my front porch right now! I'm not going to have time to install it until Friday, though. I'm excited. I'm convinced the stock lights are just getting worse by the day. You know your lights suck when a yuma 5 inches from the light still stretches out to 3 or 4 inches in diameter and stretches up so much it looks like it has a stalk like a leather....

:D

100_1456.jpg

My boyfriend officially thinks I'm crazy for taking pictures of lighting fixtures, so that's all you get for now.

coming in the next couple days - pics of how the tank looks with them on. (It's so purple and shimmery), I attempt to take LED coral pics and possibly a new present from the boyfriend. Good weekend for the tank!

Yay new stuff.

I seem to have been successful installing the retrofit. I'm running it on the lowest setting for both white and actinic and it still looks ridiculously bright, so I'm shortening my light cycle for a week or so, just in case.

I cannot say enough how much I love nanotuners. Yes, it took longer than I expected to get my lights, but they were worth the wait. Chirs and Nick are awesome at customer service and were great about answering my questions and keeping me updated. Installing everything was easier than I expected when I first opened the box. Overall I'm just really happy.

The colors the lights put out are interesting. Just white has a yellowish tint. White plus actinics in equal parts have a nice purplish tint. I clicked it up to whites at 50% and actinics at 25%, just to see what it looked like and I think that's the prettiest combo so far. Once things get acclimated I'll probably go with that. I love the shimmer effect too, it makes it look that much more natural.

And I finally get why people like actinics so much. Leaving on just the actinics is BLUE. And even the more boring zoas I have glow in some pretty cool colors. I've had too much fun with that. Now I just need to figure out how to take pictures of things under actinics. Every picture I take comes out like this:

100_1473.jpg

Even with whites on too they come out very blue.

100_1471.jpg

Once I have more time, I'll have to play around with camera settings and try to get some more true-to-life pictures and new FTSs.

As you might have noticed, I got some replacement shrimp!

100_1460.jpg

Another awesome gift from the boyfriend. We decided to go with scarlet cleaners, mostly because he wanted to buy them for me and didn't want to pay for shipping. I'm happy with them. They are very active and full of personality. Plus, I want to try raising some shrimp larvae over the summer, so hermaphroditic shrimp that I know have been raised by hobbyists are probably a better choice for that. Plus, I don't plan on leaving the hobby any time soon - there will be plenty of time to have anemone shrimp later.

100_1465.jpg

Awesome tank! You have made some really awesome choices in stocking your tank. The gobies are awesome and same with the pom pom. Good luck taking pictures under the LEDs.

Awesome tank! You have made some really awesome choices in stocking your tank. The gobies are awesome and same with the pom pom. Good luck taking pictures under the LEDs.

Thanks! I'm really happy with the livestock I've ended up with. I love the flexibility of stocking with smaller animals. It makes the tank feel bigger.

Lookin good!

I love Cleaner Shrimps, so personable.

Lookin forward to seeing your pics progress with the actinics :)

Thanks AM! I love how bold and friendly the shrimp are. I knew they had a good reputation, but didn't expect them to have that much personality!

I'm going to have to do some serious searching for photography help... there's just too much blue for my sad little point and shoot to handle!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a day off between finals, so I spent some time cleaning and playing with the camera. I'm still having photo issues, despite taking dozens of pictures on every setting the camera has. Anyway, I did end up with new FTSs.

FTS051110.jpg

100_1564.jpg

What's that new thing in the middle? A "lettuce cup coral" turbinaria! I'd been debating getting one of these for a while, and I love it.

100_1550.jpg

The colors are actually pretty close to the pic. It's nice pink with lemon yellow polyps. That's not going to be its final position. I want to get it off the sandbed eventually, but I'm not sure where to put it. For now, I'll consider this light acclimation. With these corals, you have to be careful to make sure debris doesn't stay stuck in the folds and irritate it. Luckily my shrimp has offered to pitch in with the maintenance.

100_1560.jpg

Everything else is chugging along. I've noticed quite a bit of aggression between the trimma gobies. The smaller one got spooked when I turned up the lights last week and hid for several days. He's back to being out all the time, but he looks a little skinny and the bigger one keeps chasing him off of his perches. The day he came back out, the other fish wouldn't let him rest or eat without being harassed. But they're starting to clam down a little and they're both eating like tiny pigs, so I think everything will be ok.

And as usual, I'll end with a flaming prawn goby sighting. He's back to hanging out in this cave (which is also where the pom pom crab lives) and really only comes out to taunt me. He won't stay put once I get the camera out, but at least I have proof he's still doing ok.

100_1527-1.jpg

im glad the flaming prawn goby is still doing good and also the new leds look awesome. :) also i am getting a pair of mini dary gobies to try out.

im glad the flaming prawn goby is still doing good and also the new leds look awesome. :) also i am getting a pair of mini dary gobies to try out.

Oooh wow, good luck with those! I love the way they look, but I'd be worried about keeping up on the feeding. I can't wait to see them.

Oooh wow, good luck with those! I love the way they look, but I'd be worried about keeping up on the feeding. I can't wait to see them.

yah that is the only reason i had second thoughts about getting them. since i am in school i can only feed them once a day. :o but my lfs is only feeding them twice a day and they are doing fine.

I was just about to go to bed when I took a look in the tank and realized both my shrimp and a hermit crab had molted. All within a couple of hours. Strange.

100_1607.jpg

I thought it was a little weird, so I did a quick head count and this is what I found.

100_1591.jpg

Wait, what?

So I turned on the lights and woke everything up. And grabbed my dad out of the hallway, because I had to show someone and he was closest.

100_1593.jpg

There was my hermit.

100_1598.jpg

Wandering around the tank.

100_1606.jpg

Totally naked!

100_1600.jpg

After about 5 minutes he wandered back to the front of the tank (about a foot away from where the molt was) where he promptly got attacked by the bigger hermit. I separated them before any damage was done and little hermit eventually went back to his shell. (Edit to clarify: the shell was at the front of the tank. So he must have taken it off, walked a foot, molted, walked back and put it on.)

Anyone ever seen this before? I've seen them change shells, which you'll miss if you blink. But I've never seen one wander around like that. Do I just have a very stupid crab?

• 1 month later...

Hello! I've neglected my thread for a while because I haven't been home while the tank lights are on in about a month. I finally fixed that.

Yesterday I drove out to meet Markuska and buy some frags from the tank he's taking down. Lucky me! Everything opened up quickly after going in the tank and looks great. My pictures do them no justice.

Torch! I've wanted to get some sort of euphyllia for a while, but stores seem to sell them huge and expensive. This one's the perfect size! The tips are bright, bright green, but my crappy camera refuses to capture it.

100_1661.jpg

Purple gorg (currently pissed because I had my hand in the tank a minute before)

100_1663.jpg

Pretty green zoas. Florescent green skirts that you can't see in the pic.

100_1670.jpg

And lastly, gorgeous red/orange acans. I promise they are orange in person.

100_1656.jpg

And the new FTS:

100_1644-1.jpg

Hopefully getting a new camera this weekend. More (better) pics soon!

Edited to add: Almsot forgot, I came home today to find a baby stomatella in my halimeda. I think I got an exciting bonus with my frags!

Archived