SaltCritters.com

Sublunary's 12 Gallons

sublunary

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
how a4re the gobies doing? i wish mine was still around.

Weeber! Glad to see you're back.

Gobies are doing great. The introduction went better than I expected. The older one found the new one right away and hangs out within a couple of inches of where the new one's hiding. A couple of times when I've come over to look at them, the older one darted a few inches away and displayed at me furiously, almost like he was trying to distract me away from the new one. I haven't seen any aggression so far, so I seem to have gotten lucky.

The Trimmas are doing well too. The larger one has staked out a spot on the back rock, which it cleans and hovers over. Every few hours it'll chase the smaller one over to that spot and they'll do this little hovering dance. It kind of looks like they're trying to spawn, but have no idea how to actually do it. The smaller one might be too young still. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any useful info on spawning behavior in Trimmas, so I have no idea if that's actually what's going on. It's fun to watch though.

Well, I guess things were going too well and it was time for something bad to happen. I woke up this morning to find my favia flipped off of its rock. The zoas it landed on seem perfectly fine. But my poor acan...

P9101456.jpg

I hope it recovers.

The favia took some damage too, there's some skeleton showing. But it's small enough I have no doubt it will heal and be just fine. It's already recovered from worse damage from the purple mushroom

In happier news I have purchased what I plan to be the last addition to this tank. She's so cool. I could watch her for hours.

P9101473.jpg

I don't know why all four of my crabs have staked out territories within three or four square inches in that corner of the tank. Come to think of it, the hermit crab spends most of its time in that corner too.... Thankfully, they aren't bothering each other, so I guess there's enough room for everybody.

I haven't seen the new FPG in almost a week now. The original one is in and out of the rocks almost constantly, but no sign of the little one. I hope it's just getting used tot he place and hiding.

Porcelain crab looks great and seems to be searching the tank for a favorite spot. Each day it spends the whole day somewhere new, so i don't think it's found a spot it loves yet. But it is always visible, so the critics who pick on me for liking things that hide are somewhat mollified.

So far the acans look like they'll mostly pull through. They make me sad though.

4 weeks ago:

P8151406.jpg

Today:

P9161487.jpg

Looks like I lost 2 baby heads, but the larger ones are at least still half there, and eating.

At least I still have my frag of fish to make me feel better.

P9161481-1.jpg

Those acan slook much better than when you got em from me. The colours have come out really nicely! sorry to hear about the mishap with the favia, but i'm confident they'll bounce back seeing as to how well they are doing!

P9211570.jpg

No idea where her other claw went... but I am happy she's decided to play buffer between the favia and the mushroom.

Those acan slook much better than when you got em from me. The colours have come out really nicely! sorry to hear about the mishap with the favia, but i'm confident they'll bounce back seeing as to how well they are doing!

Thanks Mark. They look better every day, so I'm less worried about them. Actually the first thing I thought when that happened was "aggh, they can't die, Mark might want a frag back someday!"

P9211570.jpg

No idea where her other claw went... but I am happy she's decided to play buffer between the favia and the mushroom.

Thanks Mark. They look better every day, so I'm less worried about them. Actually the first thing I thought when that happened was "aggh, they can't die, Mark might want a frag back someday!"

haha they are totally awesome!! look much better than when I had em. yeah and I'd definitely love to buy a frag back someday, you have to put me on the top of the list!

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I've added a new FTS - so here it is. I promise next time I'll clean the glass first...

PA051638.jpg

As you can see, I have a shiny white rock in the corner because I had to get rid of this monstorsity. No amount of tweezering would get rid of the bubble algae, evil red algae and colonial hydroids, so I had to chuck it.

P9301589-1.jpg

I finally got my clam to attach to something. Now I just need to clean up the algae...

PA051607-1.jpg

My original FPG's been in hiding the past few days, but the little one has really started exploring. He's been in this corner, more or less in plain view for the past few hours.

PA051620-1.jpg

Just when I thought my acan was getting better, I woke up to this. I think the hermit crab spend the night leaning on it, because the ric on his shell isn't looking so great either. Little bastard.

PA051601-1.jpg

Porcelain crab has a new favorite spot.

PA051597-1.jpg

And because I love my new fish, here are some more pictures of its gorgeousness.

PA051656-1.jpg

PA051652.jpg

PA051653-1.jpg

PA051654-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
:( hope that acan gets better...

Did you get that torch from me too? I cant remember who I sold that to.

Me too. It's holding it's own for now, and still eating. So that's good at least.

And yep, the torch was yours too. That happens to be doing great (despite the fact it decided to ball up when I took the FTS). As the only "flowy" coral i really have, it's definitely become the highlight of the tank.

Cool! I thought I saw it in the fts. Has it grown any? the gorg looks good too now.

Hmm, I'm not sure. The torch looks pretty much the same size. The gorg however has definitely grown. It actually encrusted the epoxy I glued it too and started growing a new branch, which you can kind of see on the right...

PA121683-1.jpg

Ok, I have a confession to make.

One...

PA121678.jpg

Two...

PA091661.jpg

and Three!

PA221715.jpg

About a month ago one of the LFSs near me emailed a coupon for flaming prawn gobies. 2 weeks later, I walked in and was shocked to find they hadn't all sold. The guy working there said he'd give me the sale price and, well... I couldn't say no.

PA221706.jpg

I'm finally at that stage where I'm no longer afraid of random death or disappearance, so I feel safe sharing. I am living the dream. The very dorky, fishy dream.

And I've finally spent enough time staring to figure out how to tell them apart. They each have differnt spot patterns on the rounded dorsal fin. The largest one, that I've had the longest, has three fairly distinct blotches. #3 has a whole mess of spots, and the #2 is somewhere in the middle. Luckily, the new fish have been spending enough time out and about for me to get good looks at them. They are much bolder than the first one and I've seen them snatching stuff off the sand, rocks and back wall, so I know they're eating. Totally different personalities from what I'd come to expect from this species. I love it.

Archived