SaltCritters.com

Sublunary's 12 Gallons

sublunary

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One year ago yesterday, I put water in my tank for the first time! I've made it a year and am still enthusiastic enough to want to keep going for years to come. I love my new hobby.

My first FTS, taken late July last year.

FTS.jpg

Most recent one is from last month.

100_1644-2.jpg

I think things are moving in the right direction.

I wanted to take some newer pictures to commemorate the anniversary, but I haven't been home enough. Next week!

A couple of new photos...

FTS from today

P7150816.jpg

Pom pom crab thinks she can hide from me...

P7150807.jpg

Candy canes

P7150839.jpg

Acan, closer to real colors, but not quite there yet.

P7150835.jpg

Gorg I got from mark is much happier now

P7150777.jpg

Pucker up!

P7010397-1.jpg

Shrimp

P6220076.jpg

King of the mountain

P6220061-1.jpg

Fish

P7010380-1.jpg

Ready for my close-up

P7010387.jpg

And I'm down to one hermit crab. The nasty beast appears to have kicked it a few days ago. I'm amazed that the stupid one is the last crab standing, but here he is...still going strong...

P7150970.jpg

• 1 month later...

New stuff to tease you with...

P8181407.jpg

Zoas

P8181412.jpg

This little guy keeps hopping against the glass. Got to move him.

P8181411.jpg

:wub: It's so tiny!

P8181414.jpg

and lastly, a GIANT COPEPOD!

P8181409.jpg

I'm trying. No one seems to know how to sex them, so right now, I'm taking a shot in the dark and just hoping they don't attack each other. Ideally, I'd like to separate my QT tank and let them see eachother and see how they react before letting them interact, but there's not way I'm getting the that fish out of the display. So I'm going to have to try and rearrange some rocks and hope for the best.

I stumbled across the copepod at a random comic store in a mall. They're made by the same company that makes giant plush cold viruses and other fuzzy microbes. http://www.giantmicrobes.com/ I had no idea they made copepods so finding it was was really exciting.

It's not the separation that would be difficult- it's catching him in the first place. When he doesn't want to be found he totally disappears. I can take all of the rocks out and still not find him.

I think what i'm going to do is add the new FPG in a breeder net for a day or two. Let them smell each other, if they can do that. and then just see what happens...

animalmaster6

It's an absolutely incredible magazine. This article they had a 3 page article on trapping fish. It was awesome and now I think I can trap anything as long as I have the right trap.

oooh. I will have to look into that. Which reminds me, if I manage to trap my suspicious crab, would you like it for your bristle worm tank? I think it's a spoon pincer crab (pics here), which are algae eaters, but he's big enough I don't trust him with the tiny gobies.

animalmaster6

Thanks!

Would love him but the tank is only .2 gallons and he wouldn't last in it. I might be setting up a 5.5 gallon so maybe then.

Still haven't caught that crab. Tho I have caught my hermit crab three times. <_<

I'm a bit worried about new goby. He's not showing interest in food and I stupidly forgot to buy a bottle of copepods when I got him. For some reason the FPGs haven't gone after baby brine shrimp. The Trimmas love them, but the FPGs don't seem to care. I'm thinking he might improve in the display, where they're more live food options and more places to hide. He's really easily spooked. Which I guess I would be too, if I were that tiny.

I'm going to give it a few days first. I finally hooked up my RO/DI, so I want to get myself used to that. Plus I'm changing around stuff in my back chambers to make room for this:

P8251417.jpg

I think he would do better in the display, more food.

Yeah, I agree. I'm trying to be good and practice QTing all my fish. But I always seem to find reasons to cut it short...

I do it for a couple of reasons.

1 - I don't know enough about fish disease to notice something's wrong in the short time I'm acclimating and want to observe them for a longer period.

2 - I want to get used to their behavior and feeding habits before I put them in with the other critters. Just so I know what to expect.

3 - I like to have a chance to watch the fish before it potentially disappears forever into my rock work. I have this fear that once I put it in the display something might happen and I'll never see it again. i know that shouldn't happen, but I still worry.

I fully agree about dipping corals. I OTed them in the beginning, but now I'm convinced dipping and checking them over carefully is the best move.

animalmaster6

Yeah I know disease signs and always know everything about a fish before I buy.

If you don't dip corals, your tank could be ruined.

Here are some quick pics of the polyps I got the other week. Each frag was supposed to be 3-4 polyps, so these made me quite happy.

The red palys even came with 2 baby red mushrooms.

P8301426.jpg

P8301421-1.jpg

P8301424-1.jpg

P8301441-1.jpg

Archived