Cultivated Reef

Hawke's Pico Lamp

c_k_kuehne

animalmaster6

Hey C_K,

Loving the tank! Great Job! I bet Hawke really enjoys it :)

Noticed you're having troubles with small shrimp.

I also saw that you don't trust Sexy Shrimp, and I disagree with that but I understand.

I know what you would like. Try to find an anemone shrimp. Most of the species are very small and don't move that much.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Noticed you're having troubles with small shrimp.

I also saw that you don't trust Sexy Shrimp, and I disagree with that but I understand.

I know what you would like. Try to find an anemone shrimp. Most of the species are very small and don't move that much.

Yes having trouble finding something appropriate local. All the LFS in Atlanta and nobody even had a sexy shrimp as we were rethinking that if we would have found one. Seems all the LFS in Atlanta are slowly turning into coral stores :huh:

anemone shrimp -- will put that on the list to keep our eye out for one next weekend.

What about a small peppermint shrimp??

animalmaster6

I will never get a Peppermint Shrimp. They are evil. They will possibly kill your snails and other cuc members.

They also will harm your corals.

I will never get a Peppermint Shrimp. They are evil. They will possibly kill your snails and other cuc members.

They also will harm your corals.

Eeeekkkkk can't have them messing with the tank. I guess I need to be careful because I only feed the tank once a week at the most and hungry inverts tend to do things they might not normally do if they were fat and happy.

If I can find them next weekend I will go with your advice. -- Can I have 2 or 3 in the tank even though I don't really have any anemones ??

kewl -- Going to Augusta GA next weekend -- they only have 2 LFS but they are both really good and one of them has a really good invert selection -- so we will see.

• 2 weeks later...

Tank is doing well. Tonight I am in the process of doing a massive feeding. After that will give it a 85% WC. While doing the WC I will pull out the impeller and give that a good cleaning since I have yet to do this and it's been basically 6 months --- yup time for an impeller cleaning.

All this is in preparation for my Aug FTS picture coming within the next few days.

Did you end up getting any inverts?

No and at this point not sure if I want to try. The tank is doing good and I would hate to add something and upset the balance since there really isn't any time left in the contest to mess with it if something goes wrong.

thesmallerthebetter

verrrrry interesting about the water changes. i know brandon does it like that too, and his tanks are amazazing.

i myself use fresh mixed and unheated saltwater for water changes, even with my acro forest (which is getting to be quite the collection i might add :P) but i do at the most 60% changes (usually once or twice a day, never more than 36 hours without a change).

this tank is comming along. i share your experience with growth being slow, i mean, ive got encrusting growth from the montis and some of the acros, but not much to show as far as branching goes so far. but its still young :)

one thing i have got growth on is the dendro, its started to re cover the exposed skeleton that it started with :)

i love your little tank :) very exciting to see it progress (although its a bummer that the sps didnt hold well :( )

Anemone crabs and porcelain crabs would never do anything to mess things up.

If I get to a decent LFS this coming weekend when I go to the hobby shop I will see what they have. It would be nice to have something in the tank moving around.

verrrrry interesting about the water changes. i know brandon does it like that too, and his tanks are amazazing.

i myself use fresh mixed and unheated saltwater for water changes, even with my acro forest (which is getting to be quite the collection i might add :P) but i do at the most 60% changes (usually once or twice a day, never more than 36 hours without a change).

Well I change as much as possible without sucking sand off the bottom so I figure it ends up around 85%. I only do this about once per week :slap:

I might as well spill the beans and fess up -- for the last 2 months I have been using my tap water instead of RO water for makeup and WC's. :o I am on well water and anyone who has ever had a glass straight from my tap always comments on the "clean tasting" water (whatever that's suppose to mean).

Once winter gets here and we start getting a lot of rain I might have to switch back to RO. After weeks of never ending rain my tap water starts "tasting" different.

thesmallerthebetter
If I get to a decent LFS this coming weekend when I go to the hobby shop I will see what they have. It would be nice to have something in the tank moving around.

Well I change as much as possible without sucking sand off the bottom so I figure it ends up around 85%. I only do this about once per week :slap:

I might as well spill the beans and fess up -- for the last 2 months I have been using my tap water instead of RO water for makeup and WC's. :o I am on well water and anyone who has ever had a glass straight from my tap always comments on the "clean tasting" water (whatever that's suppose to mean).

Once winter gets here and we start getting a lot of rain I might have to switch back to RO. After weeks of never ending rain my tap water starts "tasting" different.

hmm. tap water eh? it would be interesting to get a TDS reading of your tap water.

around here, so cal, i dont even use tap water for freshwater tanks due to a huge crash i had a few years back on a large freshwater system in which i lost close to 2 grand in livestock :/ but maybe im just paranoid

hmm. tap water eh? it would be interesting to get a TDS reading of your tap water.

around here, so cal, i dont even use tap water for freshwater tanks due to a huge crash i had a few years back on a large freshwater system in which i lost close to 2 grand in livestock :/ but maybe im just paranoid

Well I have a TDS meter just need to get a new battery for it. Will have to work on that. I even have some calibration fluid left when I get the battery.

thesmallerthebetter

nice :) ur awfully prepared haha :P

like i said before, wonderful tank, im really looking forward to seeing how it progresses :)

nice :) ur awfully prepared haha :P

like i said before, wonderful tank, im really looking forward to seeing how it progresses :)

Well being -- "awfully prepared" -- is what got me into this in the 1st place -- when I was doing maintenance and realized I didn't have any RO water -- DOH :huh:

As always thanks for the kind support -- I too can't wait to see the difference between Aug and Jan pictures -- should be interesting.

At least get something lol. Even a snail :lol:

Well I got a few pico snails in the tank already -- they just don't offer much in the way of movement --- well I guess they do if your willing to stare at the tank for a few hours :haha:

animalmaster6
Well I got a few pico snails in the tank already -- they just don't offer much in the way of movement --- well I guess they do if your willing to stare at the tank for a few hours :haha:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I came home from work last night to discover my DSL modem is fried. Get customer service on the phone and they want to ship one out to me next week. So now I'm really freaking out because I have to get my Aug pic submitted this weekend. I got a supervisor on the phone and eventually he agreed to send a repair person/truck to my house this morning. The man came and installed a new DSL modem and all is well. Will get a pic submitted today or tomorrow.

And this is why I really shouldn't wait till the last moment to submit a pic because you never know what is going to happen.

:scarry:

I can't submit my pic til the last day cause my final livestock is actually coming in that day from Sealife.

I'm a little nervous about it.

Last night did a huge feeding. This morning did the associated WC. Also took the pump off the HOB and cleaned out the impeller :o Glad I did that. It has been six months and it really needed a cleaning. Not too big a pain the rear to get the HOB off with so much crammed into such a tight spot. Cleaned the glass.

I also let my son pull a bunch of Cheeto from the 9 gallon and get some snails out of the Cheeto ball and put them in the Pico Lamp.

Great! Now all you need is a FTS for August. Come on, you can do it lol. Oh yeah and put a porcelain crab in there, they are cute. Hurry! Before time runs out! :)

Archived