Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hawke's Pico Lamp

c_k_kuehne

Wow glad everything went alright with the power outage!

Its the first time in recorded history that every state in the US has snow on the ground somewhere. We are suppose to get 2 more inches tonight, on top of the 2 ft still left over from the last few snow storms, here in Iowa..

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Problem with this area is that we never get snow. This is like a 30 year snow plane -- LOL. Because of that everyone freaks out and goes nuts. I kinda figured we were going to get a power outage. It got up to 45 degrees today so all the snow is gone already.

I went out today and got some heat packs. They last for 6 hours and average between 140 - 155 degrees. I figure if it happens again I'll just float a heat pack and that should work with the battery air pump.

Funny thing is the tank got a decent sized WC from this and now today the tank looks better then it has since the beginning. B)

It has been under 25 degrees here for forever! Last weeks high was 13 degrees... Haha Im from Boulder, Colorado and here so Im use to the snow. I can only imagine how crazy things get when it snows there.. We get on average 3ft a year and people freak out here when it snows...

Hand warmers are a good idea! Careful tho the ones I use all the time say they last for 7 hours but are cold after about 4 hours if you expose them to the air.

Well they came 4 to the pack. If I go through 2 and have to put the 3rd one in the tank I will run to the store and buy more :) I was thinking about putting them in a zip baggie to float in the tank should the situation arise.

Another couple of weeks and winter will be over around here. B)

That should work. I know if I open one and keep it in my pocket they last about 5-6 hours.. If I take it out of my pocket and warm my hands they only last 4 hours.. cant explain why.

Can't wait until winters over! Spring planting has begun at our greenhouses so at least work is warm again.

Wow! This is quite a clever creation! Many kids these days have stifled their creativity with "gaming". High five to Hawke :bowdown: this would be an excellent science fair project....or math project.....Completely understand the power outage frustration, we were the center of a huge ice storm last winter that left us without power and water for 9 days; hoping that was a once in a lifetime experience!

Well they came 4 to the pack. If I go through 2 and have to put the 3rd one in the tank I will run to the store and buy more :) I was thinking about putting them in a zip baggie to float in the tank should the situation arise.

Another couple of weeks and winter will be over around here. B)

You'll have to be careful.

They have to have oxygen to work, and will also stop working if they get wet.

If you float them in a bag, open the bag periodically to get fresh air into it.

Although I still have a few items to finish (Lights & ATO) and a few tweaks to make it was time for the final assembly. This project took a little over 5 weeks to get from initial idea to it's present state. I thought I would give a quick picture tutorial on everything that went into this build and the final assembly.

Here are all the parts laid out on the table. Need to work fast as the tank is sitting idol.

FA-01.JPG

Install the lamp rod & brackets, RKL, and battery air pump.

FA-02.JPG

Air valves and back plate.

FA-03.JPG

Install tank, hook up air lines and RKL PC4.

FA-04.JPG

Upper lamp rod tube and lamp wire.

FA-05.JPG

Upper and lower magnet plates with magnet in between.

FA-06.JPG

Temporary lighting and hood belly pan.

FA-07.JPG

Hood, upper magnet and lamp parts.

FA-08.JPG

Hawke's Pico Lamp is now assembled (installed lamp shade). Here are a few highlights.

Closeup of the RKL mounting. Used a little car window tinting to dim the LED's. Custom remote buttons made from a brass tube and antique copper buttons.

FA-10.JPG

Tank only picture with a dime for size comparison.

FA-11.JPG

Hood held in the up position by the magnets.

FA-12.JPG

And finally the completed system FTS.

FA-09.JPG

Although I still have a few items to finish (Lights & ATO) and a few tweaks to make it was time for the final assembly. This project took a little over 5 weeks to get from initial idea to it's present state. I thought I would give a quick picture tutorial on everything that went into this build and the final assembly.

Here are all the parts laid out on the table. Need to work fast as the tank is sitting idol.

FA-01.JPG

Install the lamp rod & brackets, RKL, and battery air pump.

FA-02.JPG

Air valves and back plate.

FA-03.JPG

Install tank, hook up air lines and RKL PC4.

FA-04.JPG

Upper lamp rod tube and lamp wire.

FA-05.JPG

Upper and lower magnet plates with magnet in between.

FA-06.JPG

Temporary lighting and hood belly pan.

FA-07.JPG

Hood, upper magnet and lamp parts.

FA-08.JPG

Hawke's Pico Lamp is now assembled (installed lamp shade). Here are a few highlights.

Closeup of the RKL mounting. Used a little car window tinting to dim the LED's. Custom remote buttons made from a brass tube and antique copper buttons.

FA-10.JPG

Tank only picture with a dime for size comparison.

FA-11.JPG

Hood held in the up position by the magnets.

FA-12.JPG

And finally the completed system FTS.

FA-09.JPG

Very very nice and clean

Did I say how much I like your tank

Wow! This looks amazing sir!

Im a HUGE steampunk fan and your pico looks like an antique with a hint of modern tech. Nice work! I love it.

Very very nice and clean

Did I say how much I like your tank

Thank you reef.25 ;) -- the dime picture is not as impressive as yours but figure I need to add it for a size reference and ..... well ..... I said I would :D

Wow! This looks amazing sir!

Im a HUGE steampunk fan and your pico looks like an antique with a hint of modern tech. Nice work! I love it.

Defiantly didn't want the antique look totally ruined with a full face mounting of the RKL. I spent about an hour in the crafts store before I found the little buttons with the letters on them. The RKL just happened to be the right height to mount correctly inside the base. I think there is maybe 1/16" to play in the height so I was very careful with the cutout as I had to get it exact.

This will look amazing when stocked. Why kind of livestock are you going to keep? You will probabley want some movement in the tank(for the kids)

This is absolutely remarkable! I love all the pics. I am a visual person and these have been very helpful as Mt. Wannahockaloogie begins to take it's final "form". I cannot wait to see how your tank progresses. Thanks again for all the pics and good luck to you and Hawke!

Thank you everyone for your kind remarks. I am pleased with the way it came out but there are still a few issues I need to resolve. My living room is actually void of table lamps and is setup perfectly to have one table lamp between the love seat and leather chair so this fits right in.

This will look amazing when stocked. Why kind of livestock are you going to keep? You will probabley want some movement in the tank(for the kids)

Well this is actually a tank I built for my son. We discussed different types of corals and their lighting requirements. He really liked this small Kenya Tree frag. I explained that would then steer us towards a softies tank with maybe some shrooms and polyps. He was good with that which actually makes the final lighting a bit easier. I will give him some appropriate choices but let him have the final say in the corals.

We are thinking of maybe a shrimp of some sort to add to the softies movement. Not sure if we could really find a suitable extra small fish or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Tanks in a stable mode right now. Was trying to get one LED distributor to pick from a specific color bin --- but no such luck. That set me back about 1 week on the final lights. Will order from a different web site tonight or tomorrow.

In the mean time here is the latest FTS that I submitted for March.

March2010.JPG

looks awesome with the scape. If you ever think about changing it, may I suggest a vertical scape (leaning rock against the black back divider)? You may want to get a bunch of smaller rocks for that though..

Just bouncing around ideas :)

looks awesome with the scape. If you ever think about changing it, may I suggest a vertical scape (leaning rock against the black back divider)? You may want to get a bunch of smaller rocks for that though..

Just bouncing around ideas :)

Scape's not really done yet. That was just a nice piece of LR. I want at least one more (maybe 2) to hide the back grate. Even that piece is too big as I will have to grind a little off the back side so I can clean between the front edge and the glass. Really not much room for aquascaping if I still want room for corals :o Will hunt and choose for another piece or two of LR next time I get to the good LFS's (2+ hours away)

At the good ole home depot they have a masonary hack saw blade that cut the rock very nice and staight and flat I ve been useing the same one for years

Archived