inTank Media Baskets

Hawke's Pico Lamp

c_k_kuehne

i think his idea could work seeing as how the main problem with rubble is it collects detritus and lets it bread down but if he takes it and rinses it out really well once a week it wont allow the detritus to settle for more than 7 days which wont give it enough time to break down to a point where it will cause a nitrate problem

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the framing for the lamp base/pico stand. I have the wide molding face plates but should probably hold off on installing them until I drill the tank, install false wall w/ lamp rod tube, and the lamp rod brackets. It'll just be easier to work under there while still open instead of having to do everything from the bottom.

BaseStart.JPG

Sure that tank can be drilled!Wait a min is is glass?

It was glass that was poured into a mold to form the tank so it's defiantly not tempered. Has the sort of antique look. A little wavy, a tiny bubble here and there. Plus the bottom is about 1/2" thick so it shouldn't crack.

I will need to drill an 18mm hole in the bottom and mount a piece of 1/2" CPVC. The lamp rod will come from rod holders in the base up the through the CPVC in the middle of tank (behind false wall) then out through the middle of the hood up to the lamp shade holder. I did it this way so there would be no chance of metal coming in contact with the tank water. The cord for the lamp will go down through the lamp rod and out the bottom of the base just like a normal lamp. Also If I ever need to move it across the country I can disassemble the lamp shade holder, undo the wires and then the tank will slide up and over the lamp rod.

The CPVC and lamp rod is slightly back from center so it is actually in the middle of the hood when I account for the hood also covering the AC 20.

Well that's the plan anyway :scarry:

It was glass that was poured into a mold to form the tank so it's defiantly not tempered. Has the sort of antique look. A little wavy, a tiny bubble here and there. Plus the bottom is about 1/2" thick so it shouldn't crack.

I will need to drill an 18mm hole in the bottom and mount a piece of 1/2" CPVC. The lamp rod will come from rod holders in the base up the through the CPVC in the middle of tank (behind false wall) then out through the middle of the hood up to the lamp shade holder. I did it this way so there would be no chance of metal coming in contact with the tank water. The cord for the lamp will go down through the lamp rod and out the bottom of the base just like a normal lamp. Also If I ever need to move it across the country I can disassemble the lamp shade holder, undo the wires and then the tank will slide up and over the lamp rod.

The CPVC and lamp rod is slightly back from center so it is actually in the middle of the hood when I account for the hood also covering the AC 20.

Well that's the plan anyway :scarry:

Sounds very cool

I saw that glass vase at a craft store... interested to see how this turns out.

Most places have these square glass vases but the only place I could find one this size (7 x 7 x7) was at Michaels Craft Store.

Ordered a 3/4" glass drill bit for $12 shipped. Should be here next week sometime :D

Also went to Lowes and picked up the last few pieces to finish the base and hood. Hopefully will get them built by the end of weekend. My son tonight got the idea to have small decorative feet under the base and he found something in Lowes that will work good. Since this will be his tank in the end -- small decorative feet it is. We also started scoping out appropriate lamp shades to get an idea of our choices. When the time comes I'll give him 2 or 3 appropriate choices and let him choose which one.

i've drilled more than 10 vases and none of them has cracked. Make sure you put scotch tape on the inside and outside where you drill...and take your time with drilling.

i've drilled more than 10 vases and none of them has cracked. Make sure you put scotch tape on the inside and outside where you drill...and take your time with drilling.

Good idea with the tape. I've drilled lots of tanks but never a vase.

Ok Here is the Lamp Base/Pico Stand completely framed in. Still have a little bit of work to do on the business end (underside). Plus of course once it's all complete will have to stain it. I will put the entire setup together as a test fit and then take it all back apart to stain it.

I screwed up and will have to go to the store to buy one more pice of $18 molding to complete the hood. Hopefully will get the hood finished tomorrow.

BaseFramed.JPG

Well, Its lookin pretty good. I guess the bar is being set. Thats ok, thats the beauty of being late, at least I know what I have to beat. No worries here, Yours may look good, but will corals thrive? That is the question.

Well the glass drill bit showed up today (fastest e-bay shipping ever) so I drilled the tank and moved forward with the lamp rod install.

Here is the business end of the lamp (backside). It's a little ugly but I'll fix that all up when I put the finish on it. Pictured is the back of the false wall with lamp tube going up through the tank. The lamp rod goes through the tube and is stabilized by 2 opposing rod brackets in the base. This allows me to adjust the lamp rod so it is pointing straight up and down.

BackConfig.JPG

Looking pretty cool so far!

So is the lamp gonna be lighting for this lil tank, or will it function as an actual source of light for the room it's in?

Looking pretty cool so far!

So is the lamp gonna be lighting for this lil tank, or will it function as an actual source of light for the room it's in?

The tank will have a hood with hole in the middle (for lamp tube). The Lamp will be a source of light for the room it's in.

I have some LED's, moon lighting, tank cooling fan etc... that will all get packed into the hood. Might go to Lowes tomorrow and buy the lamp shade so I can cut the Lamp rod and tube to length. Currently they are sticking out of the tank by 2 feet.

I had some blue moonlighting LED sub-assemblies left over from a previous build plus a few extra parts so I made a mini moonlight for this tank.

Features a jack to plug in the AC adapter, a mini pot so I can dim them, an on/off switch just in case I don't want them on that night, and 2 blue 5mm LED's.

All that will get tucked up into a hidden chamber in the hood with the jack, pot, and switch mounted on the back panel of the hood.

MoodLight.JPG

Great and innovative ideas you have for your son's tank. My son seen the same tank the other day and called me at work to tell me about it. Looking forward to seeing it progress into a mini-reef. We may have give this a try as well.

Great and innovative ideas you have for your son's tank. My son seen the same tank the other day and called me at work to tell me about it. Looking forward to seeing it progress into a mini-reef. We may have give this a try as well.

My son is pretty excited about this as it takes shape. I like the idea he's getting involved at a young age.

Just read this thread...following it with great interest :). Can't wait to see the finished product.

Do you know yet what corals your putting in there?

This will basically be a few softies. Going for lower level LED's so the algae and heat factor is kept down. Trying to add as much automation and redundancy for stable long term success. Another thought was having a species tank. A few different color morphs of GSP or maybe ric's. Not really sure yet. I'll give my son a few basic ideas that should work and let him have the final say. Maybe a shrimp for some movement.

I also wired up a 40mm micro fan that will go up in the hood. It will blow down and onto the water surface for some evaporative cooling in the springtime before I turn on the A/C. It also has a jack that will be mounted int he back of the hood. Just need to figure out some type of controller.

40mmFan.JPG

From personal experience and conversations with others, Mushrooms don't seem to respond well to LEDs.

GSP does better.

Xenia seems to do okay (my own experience).

I have some White Dot Star Polyps and Encrusting Green Gorgonian I could send you if you go that route.

It rained so I had off work today :P

Built the hood last night. Today I installed the lamp parts for a test fit. It really sucks when you buy a brand new lamp/bulb holder and something wasn't right so it shorted out. Had to pull apart an old lamp of my sons to use it's holder. That's OK cause it was a push button which I like better then a turn screw.

So here is everything with a test fit. Still need to finish up the tank lighting and take everything back apart to finish the wood.

TestFit.JPG

wow that looks amazing

after the contest you should make a couple more of those for sale cause i know there would be a market for them because that is an awesome idea you have. i know i will be voting for you as most innovative even over myself just because of your sheer brilliance with the design of this tank

and tell your son he is a genious because i think the lamp wouldnt have looked as fancy without the feet on it they definitely add something to the design which is brilliant

wow that looks amazing

and tell your son he is a genious because i think the lamp wouldnt have looked as fancy without the feet on it they definitely add something to the design which is brilliant

Thanks Mustang Boy --- I still have a bunch of stuff to do to get it up and running but it's coming together.

I showed my son you comment and he had a grin from ear to ear. Originally the base was just going to sit on the table. The feet make a big improvement for the presentation. He came up with that idea as we were wondering through Lowes one night buying parts. Those are actually outside corner wainscot molding pieces. I bought 2 and cut the top and bottom off each piece to get 4 feet.

Archived