Coral Vue Hydros

Mustang Boy's 5g hex Contest Tank

Mustang Boy

animalmaster6
+1 they are killing me too ---- but this is shaping up into an awesome contest and I like it. ;)

I know! Aren't you with the other contest? I think it is going to be good to!

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he's using the tank and this thread for both contests. Should make things nice and confusing.

I think they are both great contests!! I am just in favor of no budgets. Lets me be more creative with the build.

animalmaster6
I think he's using the tank and this thread for both contests. Should make things nice and confusing.

I think they are both great contests!! I am just in favor of no budgets. Lets me be more creative with the build.

This will get confusing lol

I like no budgets but then imo it's less of a contest. I am making a 30-60G contest in a year or so and I'm making no budget or an extremely high budget.

well i have been slacking ALOT lately lol i will be going to home depot tomorrow to get the rest of my supplies that ill need before i start my rockwork although i am still waiting on dead rock that i ordered from tampa bay saltwater(also ordered live rock for a different tank)

well i have no new updates as i have been incredible sick the last few days and have not had the energy to do anything constructive at all. i promise ill get some work done on the tank before the end of the weekend so that i can have it filled on the first. now i did get my order from dr.fs today so i have everything im gonna need for this tank except for the couple of items i have to get from home depot.

animalmaster6
well i have no new updates as i have been incredible sick the last few days and have not had the energy to do anything constructive at all. i promise ill get some work done on the tank before the end of the weekend so that i can have it filled on the first. now i did get my order from dr.fs today so i have everything im gonna need for this tank except for the couple of items i have to get from home depot.

Get Well Soon :)

gggrrrrr i didnt realise how little time i had till i have to fill this thing up it looks like ima have a REALLY busy day tomorrow. i have to mod my AC50 still and work on that DIY project i was eluding to earlier and then i have to build my rockstructure with the 6lbs i have seeing as how tampabay saltwater still doesnt have my order ready yet

animalmaster6
gggrrrrr i didnt realise how little time i had till i have to fill this thing up it looks like ima have a REALLY busy day tomorrow. i have to mod my AC50 still and work on that DIY project i was eluding to earlier and then i have to build my rockstructure with the 6lbs i have seeing as how tampabay saltwater still doesnt have my order ready yet

:scarry:

i have a very odd schedule as some of you may have noticed from my LATE night posts so i didnt wake up today till 2:30PM but i will be going to get a small tube of silicone tonight to do the AC30 mod and i will be doing my project with pvc today i just gotta bust out the tape measure and marker

ok well even with 2 of those pico pumps i am still barely getting any flow out of this setup so my next thing im going to try is getting a better seal around where the pumps are being attached to the PVC because i think i am losing alot of the pressure around those openings but if that doesnt work my last option would be to add my MJ600 into it in a closed loop kind of function where i would have the MJ pulling water out of the tank and pumping it into the top of the pipework in addition to the 2 current pico pumps and if that doesnt work ill just give up and find someway to mount one of the pumps on the side of the tank and use it like a regular powerhead

when i go to home depot im going to take one of the pico pumps and the mj600 that way i can get some piping to work with the mj600 as a backup plan and also find something that will help me connect the pico pumps to the pipework better. now if i i try this and it doesnt work im also gonna pick up some clear vynil tubing that fits the outlets of the pico pumps and make like the same setup im planning now but use clear vynil tubing with small holes in it, now this wont give me the aim i was planning but itll give me the same basic concept i am looking for which is blowing most of the waterflow out from behind the rocks.

ok i just got back from home depot and i think i got everything ill need to add the mj600 in in a closed loop type of setup now if this dont work ima scream lol

also since i only have a few more days i am going to unveil what my little project was/is to see if you guys think it will be worth doing. i was/am planning on doing a lifted reef with the rocks lifted .5-.75in above the sand. now do you guys think i will gain anything aesthetically by doing this or am i just working too hard?

animalmaster6
ok i just got back from home depot and i think i got everything ill need to add the mj600 in in a closed loop type of setup now if this dont work ima scream lol

also since i only have a few more days i am going to unveil what my little project was/is to see if you guys think it will be worth doing. i was/am planning on doing a lifted reef with the rocks lifted .5-.75in above the sand. now do you guys think i will gain anything aesthetically by doing this or am i just working too hard?

Sounds Cool!

2 - 3 inches off the sand would look kewl --- .5 - .75 would be barely noticeable.

anything to make the tank stand out is worth the effort IMO

i dont know 2-3in would be a heck of a lift in such a small tank i think maybe 1-1.5 would be better because it woudl still give me a decent amount of lift without being incredible high and when i said 1-1.5 im meaning the front rocks will be a little lower to help hide the lifts. i will be picking up the last of my dry rock today and then i will cut the lifts and do some experimenting with rockwork

ok guys i picked up the rock i ordered from tampa bay saltwater. instead of getting 3lbs of golfball sized rock i got a nice 5lb piece of rock from him and im incredibly happy i didnt get the rubble sized rock because this piece looks amazing and has tons of possibilities. so without any more talking here are the pics of the rock along with the rock i got from my lfs a few weeks ago and a quick rockpile to see how it might look.

rock1.jpg

rock2.jpg

rock3.jpg

rock4.jpg

rock5.jpg

rock6.jpg

rock8.jpg

rock9.jpg

rockwork1.jpg

Archived