Innovative Marine Aquariums

Collecting animals for your tank - California Law

C-Rad

eddiecorrea

There is a big difference when it comes to running a company that's permitted to collect legally than to take short cuts to save a few bucks then broad cast how stupid you are on a forum, if you think I am arrogant for that I can assure you I wont loose sleep or worry my business will get a bad rap from that one show outta the 9-10 we do a year nation wide.

Unlike allot of people I don't hide behind a computer screen so check your tone this is a very small scene and I'm always around!

Loose lips sink ships!

Josh

I don't hide behind a computer screen either. Take your own advice into consideration. Because now you just threatened me and all your potential clients are gonna hear/see that. If you don't see "check your tone this is a very small scene and I'm always around!" as some sort of threat that is on you but I do and I'm sure others will as well.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
eddiecorrea

Ladies, you are both moderately attractive to someone in this world.

This necropost isn't even relevant. <_<

I would just expect that someone who is supposed to be at the forefront of their industry would provide some good information. Not come in here and look like an asshole and spew garbage. Although I should have expected it after seeing/hearing them at a recent frag swap.

AquaticEngineer

This necropost isn't even relevant. <_<

Agreed.

Read the previously posted information about collecting animals.

All that was posted by C-Rad and myself is accurate and can be found on the California Department of Fish and Wildlife website.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any :D

Um, all C-rad's posts are gone. I remember reading this.

And I've done some research on collecting, and it's safe to say that nobody can tell you if something is illegal to collect except for people that will stop you. I seriously went to City Hall to find out what's legal and waht's not, and nobody could tell me. So basically collecting is out of the picture.

Also, I don't get the reasoning behind allowing people to only take things to eat, like urchins. Why is that? I feel like it's super simple and I'm missing something.

eddiecorrea

And I've done some research on collecting, and it's safe to say that nobody can tell you if something is illegal to collect except for people that will stop you. I seriously went to City Hall to find out what's legal and waht's not, and nobody could tell me. So basically collecting is out of the picture.

Also, I don't get the reasoning behind allowing people to only take things to eat, like urchins. Why is that? I feel like it's super simple and I'm missing something.

I can still see them.

I'm just glad I got to screencapture all of Josh from Coldwater Marine's posts. I'm gonna put them on all the local forums.

Never mind, found them.

God, that organism guy seems like a huge dick. C-rad makes a sentence about how marine animals are not as cute as bunnies and then this guy goes all, "I hate you now" on him. I love animals, and saving the environment is huge, but as long as you buy aquacultured coral I'm okay with it. And even wild collecting is not bad in small amounts, the way reefs are going.

And I read the post about why collecting fish for the home is bad. Now that I think about it, it seems obvious.

AquaticEngineer

This is in the 2013 Sport fishing regulations for California:

Invertebrates
29.05. GENERAL.
(a) Except as provided in this article there are no closed seasons, closed hours or minimum size limits
for any invertebrate. The bag limit on all invertebrates for which the take is authorized and for which
there is not a bag limit otherwise established in this article is 35. In San Francisco and San Pablo bays
and saltwater tributaries east of the Golden Gate Bridge invertebrates may not be taken at night except
from the shore.
( Take of all invertebrates is prohibited within state marine reserves. Take of certain invertebrates
may be prohibited within state marine parks and state marine conservation areas as per sub-section
632(. In addition, tidal invertebrates may not be taken in any tidepool or other areas between the
high tide mark (defined as Mean Higher High Tide) and 1,000 feet seaward and lateral to the low tide
mark (defined as Mean Lower Low Water) except as follows:
(1) Except where prohibited within state marine reserves, state marine parks, state marine conservation areas, or other special closures only the following may be taken: red abalone, limpets, moon
snails, turban snails, chiones, clams, cockles, mussels, rock scallops, native oysters, octopuses, squid,
crabs, lobsters, shrimp, sand dollars, sea urchins and worms except that no worms may be taken in any
mussel bed, unless taken incidental to the harvesting of mussels.

Those are the invertebrates you may take with a valid fishing license in California. You dont have to eat them, they can be taken alive, and they can be transported away from their point of landing completely legally.

eddiecorrea

Boom!! It's on!!!! I can't believe a owner of a business would threaten a hobbyist like that?! :(

I can. I've stood by and listened to them in person and they are arrogant assholes. The way they capture creatures isn't anywhere close to good for the environment.

I'll post the screencaps of what he said for future reference.

ScreenShot2013-03-21at75514PM_zps6201452

ScreenShot2013-03-21at75527PM_zpsa960af6

AquaticEngineer

I can. I've stood by and listened to them in person and they are arrogant assholes. The way they capture creatures isn't anywhere close to good for the environment.

Wow. You just made your company look really shitty. Coldwater Marine Aquatics gave itself a bad enough rep at the latests PSAS frag swap apparently. I didn't get to deal with you but I talked to a few people who said you guys were arrogant assholes.

Just curious as to which one of your above statements is accurate? Have you stood by and listened to me before, or have you not actually dealt with me before and you are basing your opinion on what others have said?

As to the collection practices I use for marine life, everything is done by hand or by hand net and is completely permitted and regulated by the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife.

Feel free to ask me directly any questions you may have.

Archived